17-19 chain and sprocket set UK - not sure what to think of this...

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by icedmind, Jul 16, 2020.

?

What you think of this?

1. A Scam?

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. A listing mistake?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. no issue with listing, its buyer's responsible to check?

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. icedmind

icedmind Active Member

So I had been doing some research on chain and sprocket as my OE set just past 20500 miles, its a 525 combo instead of the 530 on the older model and I was a bit vary at first when seeing there are sprocket and chain set for as little as 80quid

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CB...894800?hash=item1efcc6a190:g:4Z8AAOSwFpNdCf85

after a bit of research I decided against it as some review suggest it stretch like a rubber band after a winter on a MT07, and they discovered the issue is the seals inside the chain didn't stop salt getting in... etc etc...

so then I looks at my old faithful DID brand chain with JT sprocket combo (its been more than 3 years since i change my last set) and found this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CB...940851?hash=item442f748273:g:XW0AAOSwRDJcCmce

now VX chain is like quite old, DID website don't even list them anymore, it was replaced by VX2 series and that was replaced by VX3 series now. This is not really an issue until I dig into it and the original VX chain(in the listing) is only rated to 900CC displacement a few years back, if its a normal naked/commute bike or something I won't keep ringing the neck of it's probably fine (well only mostly 1st 2nd and 3rd anyway), but still WTF, this chain is suitable for a 170bhp bike?

I ended up going back to the good old ZVMX series 525 chain and JT sprocket set after looking into this in detail.

What do you guy think of this type of marketing? I personally think its a bit of a scam even tho it will in theory work for a while.

2. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

Listing is fine - M&P well known supplier, probably just shifting old stock.

3. icedmind

icedmind Active Member

MPs listing is fine, with the JT chain which on paper is good for >1000cc; I use MP before and I trust them

it’s the other sellers who list much older DID VX chain which is rated for less than manufacture specified displacement