.17 Fireblade as a daily ride

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Bioni, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Bioni

Bioni New Member

Hello everyone,

I have allways been riding naked bikes with a more upright stands.
    But lately i have been feeling som urges i have not felt for some time, i want a Supersport!

"Problem" is, i have only space and safe storage for one bike, so it would be my "do it all bike".
    I have allways heard about the Blade being the more "comfy" SS bike of the bunch, and i know well
    about the fantastic quality Honda have + i've allways found it to be the best looking one, ever since i was a kid.

I will rarely get in on a track, as i don't live anywhere near one.
    It would be used as a commuter (Not heavy city traffic, but about 80km of twisties and highway),
    Touring and weekend rides up the mountains ( I live in western Norway, so very little highway work and mostly
    30-60mph winding roads).

Would it be stupid of me thinking i could be happy with this type of bike?
    What you guys think?

I am 41 years old, 5foot10 (And like walks on the beach).

Cheers!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Alan-lee

Alan-lee Active Member

I have a 17 SP and love it, I think it’s comfortable and easy to ride on the types of road you have (30-60mph twisties)

If you would have said commuting through major cities and lots of stop starts through built up traffic I’d have said no as the blade wants to go and can be quite a pig to ride in these conditions!

This is all based on a 28 year olds opinion however and old age hasn’t set in yet thankfully lol

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bioni

Bioni New Member

Thanks Alan. I am going for another testride later in the week. I will testride the new CB1000R as well :)

4. Alan-lee

Alan-lee Active Member

The cbr1000r May be the better option
    Best of both world

5. Slick

Slick Elite Member

Had both cb1000r and blade. I'm in my forties but 5'4 short!

I personally prefer the blade due to being lighter, filters into narrower gaps. wind protection but runs hot in the summer.

CB1000r has zero wind protection very noticeable in the winter, much more tiring to ride but you could say more character/exciting.

Blade glides into triple figures soooo easily, CB1000r at this point is buffering your entire body off the bike.

Try both!

• Like Like x 1
  6. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Hi bioni.

I have a 2018 Blade and recently had the pleasure also of riding a CB1000R, see here: https://www.1000rr.co.uk/threads/new-cb1000r.35403/

This might be a 'horses for courses' situation in that the Blade is well at home through the twisties but might be a tad cramped for continual city riding. (I am 5'9").

The CB, on the other hand, offers the best of both worlds - comfort/speed and handling.

My view is that if you have a desire for a full-bore sports bike, you WOULD be disappointed with the CB1000R in that you'll have regrets. Whilst I can't back this, I do believe that the Blade will hold value better than the naked, if only because of its reputation and history. Plus, if you get the Blade you'll no longer enjoy walks on the beach!!

7. Slick

Slick Elite Member

Had to add my experience now out of date, as both were 09 models.

Still the blade got more taps on the tank after a commute! but miss the ole boy
    IMG_4197.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  8. dainesefreak

dainesefreak Senior Member

I've set myself a user defined profile that I use in traffic. I'm commuting on my 2018 Blade into the city centre daily at the moment (decent weather) and have no real issues with it. Yes it's a bit lumpier at lower speed than my 2015, but that tends to be more noticeable when I'm slow filtering and it doesn't sound like that will be an issue for you.

I'm surprised I'm the first one to say this, but go and get some test rides first to see what suits you best.

9. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

That's because you act with logic and I act with impulse!!:D (Dare I admit to never having test ridden a bike before purchasing? Always know what I want so in the words of Nike, I 'Just Do It'. )

Of course you're right. A test should solve all concerns.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Gaffa22

Gaffa22 Well-Known Member

I commute on my 17 blade and find it fine. Very manouverable and narrow especially with the mirrors folded in, I am 56 and 6'4" and find it easier to filter with than my VFR1200

11. thewiz

thewiz Active Member

I will speak the harsh truth for my beeing atleast. You will buy a blade, have it for a while and then sell it because it is literally killing your back, wrist, butt and neck. Supersports are made for speed above 60 mph, under 30 mph i think its painful over longer periods. Having owned supersports for the last 6 years, i don't think i will return anytime soon. They are superb on track, the best, but on Norwegian roads? Speaking as a norwegian myself, its bollocks mate. Selling my fireblade now, and getting the KTM 1290 Super Duke R.

Probably not a well recieved comment this, but for me this is very much true.

Thinking about getting a track bike tho, and the fireblade is so nice on track. So much cheaper to buy a trackbike here in Norway aswell, instead of a plated bike. About half the cost of a plated blade i reckon

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Ok, you say some urges to get a supersport - what urges ?

What is it about supersport that appeals to you - that is calling you ?

Is it the name, or the that appeals - being a Fireblade ?

This is acceptable, or reason enough if that is what you want.

CBR; ZZR; R1; R1M; GSX-R; RSV4 Factory. Are these the magic letters that are stirring your soul ?

• Like Like x 1
  13. thewiz

thewiz Active Member

You ask the right questions. I think that most people choose supersport for either one of these reasons: Most badass / coolest looking motorcycle, badass model names and / or MotoGP / racing pedigree.
    Nobody actually thinks that supersports are the best for the ROAD, because they are terrible for the road. They are not designed for road use, manufacturers have just put lights and a plate on a race bike ( more or less).

Unfortunately sportbike sales are down, and i think it is mosly because the naked / upright bikes have become so good these days. Why would you want a RSV4, when you could get the RSV4 with straight bars (Tuono).

14. Bioni

Bioni New Member

Hard to answer these question, i guess it´s just emotions! For me at least, it´s just that. I don´t really make any sense buying a 160+ hp naked any more then 190hp sportbike imo :). Sure you will be more comfortable, but it´s still overkill for the street. Would you not agree? But hey, i will be trying the new cafe racer later this week and i might just fall in love with that one to haha :D Cheers guys!

• Like Like x 1
  15. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Hit the nail on the head!

In fact I made a similar comment on a different thread yesterday: Some buy with logic; others buy with impulse. The greatest sales gurus and trainers will profess that most sales are founded on emotion. We buy what we like, NOT what is necessarily best for us. So often, there is compromise, but the end result is what we feel best with.

Perhaps I could endorse this with a rather crude analogy: We fall in love with a woman based on emotion. The fact that she has buck teeth and wide hips is cast aside as part of the compromise:).

• Like Like x 2
  16. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

It is difficult to say, "the street" is not a single thing - and Britain is not Norway.

Plenty of Brits get plenty of use from their 160 hp bikes. Many Brits also go away on their bikes to Europe - ferries to France and Spain are common. If you ever go to the Dutch TT at Assen you will see hundreds of British bikes - mostly larger capacity.

Brits ride across the country to watch national racing - such as BSB. There is a lot going on all over Britain, and the near continent, and British bikers ride all over the place. There are also many track day opportunities at all levels.

I am not sure that it is the same experience for Norwegian bikers.

Anyway, must get packing - riding down to Spain to the MotoGP Catalunya - see I f I can't wear these OE tyres out while I am at it !

(suggest you get a KTM 790 Duke !)

Hasta La Vista .....:cool:

• Like Like x 4
  17. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Have a safe trip and great weekend!! Hope you're at the finish line to see Pedrosa win!!:)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Bioni

Bioni New Member

Jealous! Ride safe :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

You lucky guy....have a great time Mattie :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. raphael

raphael Elite Member

You binning Lorenzo already