17 SP Gearbox issues *or non sp with Honda quickshifter add on*

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Alan-lee, Jul 3, 2018.

1. gary1966

gary1966 Active Member

Does the s1000xr have the down blipper? All 3 of the bikes I mentioned all had the bmw blipper no problem going up the box it’s coming down and the same on my blade

2. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

Yea, down blipper aswell. Going down the box on mine is faultless.

3. Cbrjay

Cbrjay Well-Known Member

i had a s1000rr and thought the gears was ok, till I had the s1000xr while mine was being worked on. The xr gears was way better then the s1krr. The best is the rsv4rf I've got now

4. Naz

Naz Active Member

So shit to hear how Honda are still carrying on when approached with such problems and to be honest there’s been enough noise about the gearbox issue for them to take note and look into it. After all the ABS issues I had, I decided to wait before buying a new blade to see if such problems come up again and how they respond. This lack of care /assistance from Honda puts me off from buying a new blade

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

It's why I'm on a GSX-S.

6. Naz

Naz Active Member

Didn’t really like the look of the GSX but it’s growing on me, might go to Suzuki for a proper look and see what offers they have

7. dgr

dgr Active Member

Having put nearly 3000 miles on my blade I've only experienced gear selection issues a handful times and I'm quite prepared to put those down to user error. The problem has only ever been selecting gear never jumping out of a gear once selected. Even if I wasn't to blame I'm not going to throw the baby out with the bathwater over it. Maybe if I was riding close to the limit I would be more concerned but the problems I have had have been soon corrected. I'd buy another blade in a heartbeat.

#27 dgr, Jul 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. icedmind

icedmind Active Member

my 17 have about 13000 miles on it now and never had a actual false neutral with the honda quickshifter added on after the first service; it did had a few dash moment when using the QS incorrectly, like not on full throttle, but only on going up; the blipper is perfect going down everytime

9. gary1966

gary1966 Active Member

I had another false neutral yesterday going down with the blipper from 4th to 3rd don’t think it was rider error?? I stopped for a brew a bit later and played with the settings on the dash the blipper was set on 2 I moved it to 1 and the ride home I had no issues

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

What do the settings change on the QS? Is it kill times?

11. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

The Owners Manual refers to sensitivity of 'load levels' (PAGE 53). However, it could be one and the same because when set for soft lever effort (1) it seems plausible that the change reaction (or kill time) would be quicker than if set for heavy (3) given that setting (2) is default. It reasonable that this difference would be only milliseconds.

12. Ian E

Ian E Active Member

Is it possible to turn the quickshifter off all together on the SP? These issues put me off getting one. I watched the Fast Bike review (Blade @ 08:55 onwards) and they have had issues on all 3 of the bikes they have tested on track.

#32 Ian E, Jul 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  13. gary1966

gary1966 Active Member

Yes you can switch it off but I haven’t had a problem with qs only the blipper

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Ian E

Ian E Active Member

Thanks. Does blipper switch off at same time?

15. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

As gary1966 says, yes, it is possible.

It is also possible to run just the upshift or just the downshift. I use only QS upshift. Simple settings on the dash.

If downshift is switched off, the blipper is also disengaged.

Further, when the QS is switched on, any use of the clutch will automatically override the QS system. I suspect this might lead to some of the problems associated with 'dropping' gears.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. tuktuk

tuktuk Elite Member

My mate had an update on his bike today.

Honda UK have agreed to replace the bike with a new one.

Really pleased they came to an agreement as he put so much into this bike and his love for the bike and brand had been obvious to see before this issue came up. Fingers crossed the new bike lives up to his expectations when it arrives.

• Like Like x 2
  17. tuktuk

tuktuk Elite Member

I should also say, I dont know the full ins and outs of this and there were other issues than the false neutrals so I cant say if it is one particular problem which prompted this solution or the fact there were other faults too.

18. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Holy guacamole! (Sorry - too much Ninja Turtles:rolleyes:)

That is a major about-face for Honda, surely? A whole new bike?

Presumably, your friends 'not-fit-for-the-purpose' claim/action sufficiently moved Honda to do the right thing. Hopefully the new bike will have no such problem as it really seems an isolated incident. Just a shame that it's taken 5-plus weeks to resolve.

19. Teahupoo

Teahupoo New Member

Hey man, my 2018 CBR1000R is so plagued with false shifts it is scary! I had a 600rr that was smooth as silk but this bike is total crap. Honda service said there is nothing wrong with my bike. I have zero confidence in this piece of shit death machine.

20. bazzashadow

bazzashadow Elite Member

One of them said he didn’t have a quickshifter on nigel