181hp at the rear wheel

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Trav_1981, Dec 14, 2020.

1. Trav_1981

Trav_1981 Member

A mate of mine has a 17 plate SP which he has just had mapped and made 181hp at the wheel. He put a full titanium Akrapovic system on before hand. Not too sad that.
    Have any others had theirs mapped? I used to be mad on HP but as a wise old elf once told me that it’s not about the top line but about how it delivers it.

2. Nigel H

Nigel H Active Member

<shrug>
    HP is everything.
    Having raced 2 strokes for many years I know it's then down to how you manage the power-band.

Talk to me about 'torque' and I will laugh in your face.
    Retired industrial physicist.

3. Blade runner 1

Blade runner 1 Elite Member

C35EA231-6C7B-445B-8566-75988B4E0C20.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  4. RC45

RC45 Active Member

Ironically for the fly-by-wire SC77, peak HP in 4th gear is not the best measure of capability.

I have tuned many base, ABS, SP and SP2 SC77s that dyno a lower "peak HP number" than many popular tuners in the USA, yet bikes I have tuned routinely pull more MPH in the 1/4 mile, hit higher speeds on race track straights and overall just behave in a much more beastly way that bikes that post higher peak dyno number.

In fact, I will go so far as to say any tuner that puts an SC77 on the dyno and simply aims for peak HP has completely misunderstood the power of Hondas fly-by-wire system.

But 181rwhp is not a bad number, although we really need to know the base line before tune to accurately judge - was it about 170rwhp?

I would be more interested to know if the SP can now out drive a BMW S1KRR or ZX10R coming out of turns on a road course.

5. dmc12

dmc12 Well-Known Member

I thought there's something in the engine management system on 17-19 blades that means you can't get a proper indication out of a dyno run anyway because the speed sensors are getting in the way? Or something to that effect.

6. Paul Longstaff

Paul Longstaff Senior Member

I think it's quite possible so long as the front wheel sensor bypassed which is why the tank cover has to come off.
    So you are correct in that you won't get an accurate reading unless you do the work around as the electronics can get very confused with a stationary front wheel and 170mph back wheel :confused:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1