2005 needing some (loads) help pls

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Wes, May 8, 2022.

1. buz

buz Active Member

Should be 14-14.5V at idle. 13V on a fully charged battery with no load.
    If you've got a charger, try topping it up. I reckon either battery or R/R is cooked.

2. Wes

Wes Active Member

After installing the new stator things weren’t right. She felt wrong and it just seemed off. Voltages all over the place, but more of a concern was how she felt. Once round the block and home. Gutted.
    I removed the stator last night and during testing gave myself a bit of a fright. It’s best to double check your meter setting is selected correctly between ohms and continuity !
    When I originally replaced the stator I thought they had supplied me the wrong one as it didn’t want to seat correctly. I even got my vernier gauge on it. It went on eventually but I was not particularly happy with how it went on.
    After my fright thinking I’d fried my new stator I was just comparing the two when I noticed a small screw on the replacement part that wasn’t on the original. That screw head, or just the very edge of it was enough to foul it seating exactly flush.
    There was only one position it could go in without that screw fouling the seating. Not a millimetre either way. I reinstalled it and immediately she felt better. That feeling that I had got had gone. Took her out for a spin and she behaved perfectly. Stuck main beam on for the last 20 mins and went home.
    Checked my battery voltage this morning and she’s 12.99V.
    I’ll take her out again this afternoon for further proving.

• Like Like x 6
  3. Wes

Wes Active Member

Bet your all getting bored with this now.
    Saturday local run 50 miles no issues at all, not one. This was done on short dual carriageways and 30mph zones.
    Last night, I went for it and put the fairing back on. My testing had been so far been done with nothing but nose cone on.
    This mornings testing was done initially on the same local roads. Everything was the same as Saturday. All good.
    There’s a mile straight where I live to join the motorway. Time to up the pace.
    As I exited the roundabout and on to the straight I started to open her up and at about 5k she gave a tiny miss. Grrrrrrr ! Kept going for it on the throttle and she pulled cleanly till I got to merge onto the motorway which is a camera 50mph zone.
    Not happy now, I got through the zone and let her go as soon as we could. She flew to silly speed. Easily maintained speed and more available. Off at the next exit and back on returning home. Once again flying up the slip road. Throttle response on the motorway was impressive and once back off the motorway, through the short dual carriageways she was eagerly pulling through the gears.
    Back home I checked my voltages and as I expected they are absolutely fine. I did however run my finger around my arrow end can exhaust. A little sooty but nothing really.
    Did my endless testing on local roads, with restrictions on my speed due to bits hanging off the bike, cause her to choke up a little and give me my one tiny miss ? I’m not sure. After her high speed run she was fantastic, really good. Unfortunately running couldn’t continue as I was out of fuel and had told the Luftwaffe I was only going to be 20 mins. This was 70 miles later.
    Fixed by replacing stator ? I would of said yes, but that one tiny miss….albeit in all my 120 miles of tests, only one … I can’t be 100% sure.
    Cheers for all your comments and I know I’ve done your heads in taking up valuable space here with all the my woes but it’s nice to let a bit of pressure off in here.

• Like Like x 5
  4. buz

buz Active Member

I'd say that's fixed. Sooting up from failing ignition.
    The old Italian tune up was the last piece of the puzzle.

• Agree Agree x 1