2008 Blade idling at 4,000 revs - engine light flashing 2 short lights

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Alblade, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Nick_BladeRR

Nick_BladeRR Active Member

Fingers crossed matey.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Alblade

Alblade God Like

Got collected late morning looking like this:

DSC_0042[1].jpg

Dealer did not have chance to look it at today so fingers crossed will start on it in the morning

• Like Like x 1
  3. el-nicko

el-nicko Well-Known Member

Can't wait mate.

4. Alblade

Alblade God Like

Dealer had a mechanic go off sick so they are short of staff and knowing its not vital to have it back today decided to wait for the mechanic who built Dunlops race bike to work on it.

Sorry folks but the mystery continues for a while longer...

5. Alblade

Alblade God Like

Just found this image from a couple of years ago - hope the repair bill is less of a shock than seeing this

airbox.jpg

6. ShinySideUp

ShinySideUp Elite Member

It's a bit of a sorry sight that there Al! ;)

7. el-nicko

Bird, bird , bird.
    Bird is the Word.:D

• Like Like x 1
  8. Alblade

Alblade God Like

Well my Blade has been returned and now idles at correct revs after replacement throttle body and 2 new throttle cables fitted

However the engine is now damaged / ruined - the exact cause is a bit of a mystery which I'd rather not write about at this point as it makes little sense to me

I have some serious maths to do before deciding on a course of action be it repair engine, replace engine or strip it for parts.

A very unhappy Al-no-Blade right now...

9. Slick

Slick Elite Member

that's not good news Al! I was hoping everything would be sorted.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Si.

Si. God Like

That's bad new mate... Gutted for you. I was hoping to hear all was well and fixed up.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Tom68

Tom68 Active Member

i hope it aint another dealer F**k up!! if it was ok going in why is it not ok coming out???? a bit off topic, i had to have the head off my car a few years back, and it came back knocking it's tits off, said to them it wasn't like like when it went in!!! So they put a newer/recon engine in, All F.O.C as you would expect.

12. Nick_BladeRR

Nick_BladeRR Active Member

Really sorry to hear this mate never nice to hear things like that especially seeing as it was only idling funny when it went in. Really feel your pain on this one mate have you spoken to dealer and see what they have to say about it? Probably a stupid question I know but don't ask don't get as they say and it worked for me with my woes earlier this week.

13. el-nicko

I am (We are) just gutted for you mate.

#53 el-nicko, Mar 27, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  14. Alblade

Alblade God Like

All -

Thank you for the messages of support / sympathy over this

I can't write too much as I have yet to see my dealer in person - I have many un-answered questions over all this -

For example the damage which appears to have impacted the top end of the engine - was this happening when it was running last Thursday evening as heard by 2 mates, who also blipped throttle to 6 / 7 thousand with no hint of knock / rattle / tapping or noise?
    I also have a video I took of it in my garage running at 4k to show how it sounded - nothing present on that - will upload it and add it here.

Now it sounds like a bunch of spanners in the top of the engine and I dare not start it again.

When the delivery driver started it up to load / drive it into the van did he hear any knocking / tapping? - how do I know he started it to load rather than push? Because it is all on CCTV!

What did the mechanic do it diagnose it before starting work - if the engine had such extreme damage surely a fully qualified and trained mechanic would have heard the engine sounding terrible, and if so why not call to say 'your engine is making a terrible noise, its damaged' - how come this was only identified after it has been worked on for 3.5 hours and run at normal idle ?

There are other questions I would prefer not to put on a public forum.

Unless I take it back and in the presence of the owner and mechanic we run it up to 4,000 and see if all the noise stops / is masked by exhaust / inlet noise, if it is then I will accept that it was present before the works, but it also risks destroying what's left of the engine.

The last time it was run prior to this was at Oulton Park trackday where it was fine (and I have lots of video of that day to not that it proves much.), prior to that it went round Northern Spain in December and I know I checked the oil level while away and also on my return -

Also - massive thanks to Mark / Yorkshire Gooner for advice

• Like Like x 2
  15. Tom68

Tom68 Active Member

Thanks for the update Mate.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Dogtown

Dogtown New Member

I feel your pain brother,hope it all gets sorted,totally gutted for you...

• Like Like x 1
  17. el-nicko

I'll stick my neck out here and predict a broken cam-shaft.:eek: A mate of mine had an old Riley car that just wouldn't run 'right'. Eventually, he took it apart and the crank-shaft was in two pieces (split across the middle journal) but had been held in place by a main bearing and the thrust bearings at either end. Could you possibly now have a two-piece cam-shaft?

Nick.

18. Alblade

Alblade God Like

The cost to locate a 'trusted' engine and then swap over is going to total around £2,000

My bike is effectively written off now

To say I am hacked off about this is the understatement of the year

19. rogerdodge

rogerdodge New Member

Sorry to hear this mate. Cannot it not be rebuilt ? Is the problem related to the original issue or has it been compounded by problems elsewhere ?

20. Alblade

Alblade God Like

I spoke to an engine builder / race prep. engineer who advised a whole engine at around £1,100 would work out cheaper than rebuild.

This problem is totally different from the high idle issue and has only appeared after being worked on by the main dealer - it did not exist before it went to the dealer