2008 blade rear brake upgrade

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by Sazzamoore, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Sazzamoore

Sazzamoore Active Member

Hi All

Is it just me or is the rear brake on the 2008 bade rubbish??

I have put Hell lines on, removed the TRW rear sets and refit the originals, wavy disc, new pads (obvs), bled and re-bled (by 4 different people) and just cannot get any feel in to it, finally replaced the rear master cylinder, still pants, rode someone else's at the weekend and that feels rubbish too.

so i though to upgrade the rear master cylinder for a Brembo, however they don't make one to fit without making a mounting bracket.

Has anyone else fitted anything that works or have any helpful advise or things to avoid??

Thanks

2. Mr OCD

Mr OCD Well-Known Member

What do you need a rear brake for ... ? ;)

• Like Like x 2
  3. Sazzamoore

Sazzamoore Active Member

Well i dont know about you but i find it handy for hill starts, riding in the rain and through corners/roundabouts.

Mine currently does nothing.

4. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

It's some times easier to bleed off the bike and have the caliper higher than the master cylinder, it much more effective as the air will come out quicker

Only downside though is you new two sets of hands to do it!

You could try a syringe and reverse bleed

5. thewiz

thewiz Active Member

The rear brake are so vague on the blade. I went the same route you did, and change to a wave rotor, sintered pads and HEL brake line. Felt better than stock, but still very vague. But it does work, you just need to get used to the vagueness of it. My rear wheel will lock up if i apply enough pressure.

6. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

When I first got my bike (from new) I had the same feeling about the rear brakes.

That's how it stayed until I changed the fluid. The transformation was amazing. I used motul (r600 I think)

I use the rear brake a lot not only in slow traffic, emergencies but also feathered sometimes when taking high speed bend on unfamiliar roads

7. Sazzamoore

Sazzamoore Active Member

Thanks for your comments.

Re bled mine twice since the last post with different fluid and put organic pads in. After about 100 miles it all began to feel much better. after another couple of hundred i was pretty sure it was sussed and had a stonking ride home yesterday when everything felt brilliant.

Riding in today it's back to being w*nk! the brake is doing a big fat nothing! not even for a hill start :O( the fluid level has remained the same and there is no fluid leaked out. The master cylinder feels 'odd' like the last one did though.... kinda like the seals gone or something and the plunger is moving too far..... but surely two could not have gone the same way?! i haven't seen this is a known issue???

i really do want to just upgrade the rear MC and take the OEM stuff out of teh equation, but seemingly this is a near impossible challenge unless you are running a race bike!!!!

Any help gratefully received. I ride it ever day 60 mile commute and this is driving me insane!

thanks
    Sara

8. TW4T50N

TW4T50N Active Member

9. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

clearly there is something wrong with your rear brake as the performance of the standard system is good. Nevertheless I don't think you can lock the rear wheel with the foot brake anyway.

If you have set your heart on changing the system, fair enough. HAve you actually had your Honda dealer or a mechanic to look at it?

10. Sazzamoore

Sazzamoore Active Member

Yes of course, it's been to a v reputable dealer 3 times, they are scratching their heads..... all they can suggest is replace the OEM brake system, but if I'm spending the money doing that I'd like to spend it on an upgrade and not a like-for-like.

Like i've said, i have had the bike for years and the brake HAS worked in that time so i know what the standard feel is. But it's back to doing nothing.... zero.... f*ck all. i hate riding in the rain with only a front brake, reduces my confidence loads and i ride differently. I'm not a fair weather rider and I've put 17,000 on the bike, but this is driving me mad now. i just need some ideas for an upgrade that wont brake (haha) the bank.

cheers

11. TW4T50N

TW4T50N Active Member

12. Sazzamoore

Sazzamoore Active Member

thank you. Pretty expensive though isn't it.... makes me feel a bit queesy :eek:

13. TW4T50N

TW4T50N Active Member

I've spent over 6k on modifications so price tags are just numbers now :D

14. Sazzamoore

Sazzamoore Active Member

hahahahaha I've done PC5, Yoshi race system and a few little its but nothing much else.... the bikes on 27k now and i feel like £750 on 1 brake is a lot..... even if i do ride it everyday and it will save my life hahaha

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. gcon45

gcon45 Active Member

The bike is over a quarter ton with you on it and the rear caliper's piston is tiny as is the disc. If you want more stopping power you're going to have to upgrade your caliper, pads and disc.

16. Sazzamoore

Sazzamoore Active Member

errr yes! that's where my thread started! asking for advice about upgrading as this appears to be difficult! And my brake isn't just poor..... it is non-existent..... not working .... was but now isn't.....

17. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

I am not sure if you can get any non honda solution which doesn't cost a lot (even Honda ones do!). The price we have to pay for high performance and technology.

I am a rear brake user and cannot imagine being without it. So you have experienced them working properly.

You mentioned wavy disc, could this be causing your problem?
    TBH, I am surprised the dealer cannot provide you with a more positive diagnosis. Perhaps you can visit another one for a 2nd opition

brembo offer a number of options for your bike but no mention of a bracket. Is this a statement from them or their uk distributor?

18. TW4T50N

TW4T50N Active Member

The link I provided to L74 racing includes bracket and caliper. For caliper, bracket, Lightech chain adjusters and lifters you're talking £540. It's £750 for the quick release kit which I don't need.

Give them a shout, they will no doubt sell the bracket and caliper separately for less than the £540 I was quoted for the above :)

• Old Old x 1