2008 CBR engine cuts out after 20-30 minutes

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by AndrewQ, Apr 30, 2019.

1. AndrewQ

AndrewQ New Member

Hey all.
    I have tried going through the forum for answers, but nothing fits the bill, or the answers given do not match this problem I'm sad to say.
    Earlier this year I purchased a 2008 CBR1000RR.
    My daily commute was a Ducati Monster, and knowing about reliability issues with Italian bikes, I turned to the bulletproof Honda!
    The bike was spot on for the first 1500 miles, took it on a little tour, all was good.
    Then one day, I'd been to work on the bike, she was riding like a dream. I pulled off from a set of lights, real gentle acceleration (I was in a 30MPH zone and behind a double decker bus, so gives you an idea) and suddenly the bike started to almost misfire.
    The rev counter would bounce from almost 0 up to 3000 revs, and she was real jerky, like she wanted to die, and then after about 10 seconds, die she did!
    I got the bike off to the side of the road and for the next 30 minutes or so, she would start, but just touching the throttle would cause her to cut out.
    After about an hour, she started fine and again got around 20 minutes into the ride home, same thing.
    This time I got the recovery wagon back home.
    Next day, started fine, just left her idling away, then, 25-30 minutes later she does the same.
    I checked what I could, I'm a pretty poor mechanic, so rode her to my local workshop (about 15 minutes from home). She got there without issue, so I left her idling outside, and sure enough, about 10 minutes after pulling up, same story.

The mechanic had the bike for 3 weeks, and today gave her back unfixed. He essentially told me that he can recreate the issue as she dies after 25-40 minutes without fail, but has no idea how to fix it.
    There are no error codes, no F1 light - nothing.

The kill switches were taken apart, cleaned, greased and reassembled.
    Crank sensor has been replaced.
    "Tilt" or angle sensor replaced. Connectors and relays checked and all seem ok.
    The bike is standard, no aftermarket can, no power commander.
    Fuel pump seems good, primes every single time.

I was just wondering if anyone else had come across this issue or had any words of wisdom?

Thanks for any advice

2. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

I hope someone can help Andrew. I encouraged him over here from another forum knowing that one of you gurus will have a resolution. Logic tells me it's a fuelling issue, whether a problem with the pickup or a suspect in-line filter. However, I am out of my depth with fuel injection.:(

3. BikersDiscountStore

BikersDiscountStore Active Member

Sounds like heat related, electrical resistance building up such as a crank sensor or similar? Just spotted it's been replaced so not the sensor but what about connections?

4. 1000rr73

1000rr73 Active Member

Agreed, something giving out when warmed up as it runs fine when cold, and interesting it’s a similar time frame each time too. Is it possible to get to an AD to plug in to diagnostics? I know you’ve probably thought of that but you can chase your tail on these things.

5. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

What happens when you open the fuel tank? D oes it spring open as normal, do you hear air rushing in?

• Like Like x 1
  6. AndrewQ

AndrewQ New Member

Yep, thanks for the recommendation! :)

7. AndrewQ

AndrewQ New Member

The connections all seem to buzz out correctly when tested, so I'd be 90% sure they are ok. Heat related was my first guess, but I unplugged the main RH fan and got the bike too hot, and she ran OK even with the temperature right up. And she has already cut out when zipping along on open roads and the temp has been at the lower end. I wonder though if there is something that heats up and is out of the line of air/radiator cooling? I also replaced the crank sensor with a used one from a spares place, so maybe I could have been unlucky and picked up a screwed one?

8. AndrewQ

AndrewQ New Member

I took the bike to a local mechanic that does fault readings/diagnostics and there was no errors coming up at all.

9. AndrewQ

AndrewQ New Member

Springs open ok, can't say i can hear any particular "whoosh" but not sure I ever have, just a minor hiss.

10. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Ok, if it didn't spring open or there was a whoosh then it could have indicated a breather problem. Hope you get an answer soon.

11. Phil_M

Phil_M Active Member

I had identical symptoms years ago, not on a Blade, was a Honda though, it drove me nuts for a while, turned out to be a sticking exhaust valve.

12. AndrewQ

AndrewQ New Member

Hey, thanks, I will check that... Not sure if you know, but is that the little "flap" that opens at certain revs inside the exhaust can? If so, mine was disconnected to always be open, but wondering if there was another??

13. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

I take it to mean the actual exhaust valve in the cylinder head. On a four cylinder I don't believe that would produce the prob you have.

I'm assuming the 'mechanic' who had your bike for 3 weeks and returned it unfixed might not be a Honda mechanic. (although there is little difference between brands) I think you might have to bite the bullet and take it to an accredited Honda dealer.

I did favour @Barstewardsquad 's suggestion that the tank is not breathing. That would surely explain the consistent 20 mins or running before dying. I wonder if you might conduct another test run and ride (locally) by leaving the tank filler cap ajar/unlocked? At least then you will have an answer or be able to rule that out completely.

From there, the fuel pump needs to be properly inspected. Just because it 'seems' good doesn't necessarily mean that it is.

14. Phil_M

Phil_M Active Member

Sorry, should have been clearer. Yes I was referring to the exhaust valve in the cylinder head not the flapper valve in the exhaust. And it was on a twin so Nigel may well have a point.

• Like Like x 1
  15. AndrewQ

AndrewQ New Member

Hi guys,

Thanks for all of the above! Sure it will lead to a result soon. Will test leaving her running with the petrol cap open later tonight.
    First, just a point of ignorance on my part.
    I got a crank sensor and fitted that (made no odds).
    A mate of mine who was asking around for me in the UK spoke with a chap who said it could be the Camshaft position sensor/cam pulse generator.
    Is that not the same thing? I tried doing a search, and it seems to be, but wanted to make sure.

Thanks!

16. AndrewQ

AndrewQ New Member

Hey, valid point. To be fair he is a Ducati mechanic but has always looked after my Monster, so went to him first. Yeah, I'll carry on for a week or so. The Honda guys cannot look at it until the 3rd week of May and I'm away at that point until early June, so hoping to sort it prior to that. I aim to run her tonight with the fuel cap open and hopefully that will point the way or at least rule out another possibility.

Cheers guys!

17. BikersDiscountStore

BikersDiscountStore Active Member

Don't confuse water temp with engine temp, water temp will rise very quickly, engine takes about 20 mins of normal use to reach proper operating temperature where things like sensors have been known to play up.

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. AndrewQ

AndrewQ New Member

Very good point! Thanks a mill for that! :)

19. Stuish

Stuish Senior Member

Any joy with running with the fuel cap open?

20. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Probably been raining there. He doesn't want water in the tank as another problem!!:D:D;)