2009 bodywork removal

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Gixxa84, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Gixxa84

Gixxa84 Active Member

hi, has anyone got any phots etc of how to remove all of the bodywork from a 2009 cbr1000?

2. Spygoat

Spygoat Well-Known Member

3. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

No photos but I recently removed all my bodywork and refitted everything without too much hassle.

I'm guessing you're struggling with the side fairings? :rolleyes: can be a bastard if you've never done it before but once you have it'll be easy next time round.

So start by removing the belly pan, couple of bolts either side then unclip it from the lower part of the side fairings. You will need to give it a bit of a tug, just take your time and get in close so you can see everything clearly.

Once that's off start removing bolts off the side fairings, I think there is only one either side. Now remove the bolts that are tucked in behind the outer edges of the front nose fairing (in front of your brake and clutch levers). There a couple of push pins on the inside of the fairings near where the upper fork legs are, remove them. You're now ready to pull the fairings off......and I mean pull them off. The air duct intakes are fitted too the inside of the fairings and fit straight into the cut out hole in the frame of the bike, this provides most of the support for the fairing so is quite securely attached but it does need a firm tug to get it free.(this is what I couldn't get my head round at first and wondered why they wouldn't just come off after removing the bolts like on other bikes)

When you have got them off just be careful of any wires that are housed inside the fairings too. Also there is a flapper inside your air intake, you'll need to disconnect the hook at the end of the mechanism that pulls the flapper open or shut. I did this using a torch and some long nose pliers and went through the front of the air intake. Shine a torch in and you'll see what I mean. (Providing your bike hasn'
    Had the flapper mod)

You'll wish you hadn't started but it's a good learning curve and will be easier once you've done it!! Good luck ;)

4. Spygoat

Spygoat Well-Known Member

When you take the side fairings off, be very easy when disconnecting it from the upper (nose cone). The little tabs they use to lock the panels together can snap easily if pulled the wrong way and will never sit right again if they do.