2013 fireblade chain tight and slack

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Simon7875, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Simon7875

Simon7875 New Member

Hi just wondering if anyone else has had this issue

Noticed the chain was tighter in one place than another when rotating wheel,suspected chain was stretched or sprockets worn oval only covered 5000 miles,so I bought a new did chain and sprockets fitted them still have the same issue,checked wheel straight cush drive seems ok front sprocket seems to run true just makes no sense unless I've been unlucky enought to get a poor new chain

2. Warren

Warren New Member

Hiya,

Things to check..
    1) make sure you haven't incorrectly tightened the master link on the chain, it could be on the piss
    2) remove the chain, put the real wheel back on and fasten to torque spec, then rotate the wheel and make sure there isn't any problem with the rotation of the wheel, i.e. knackered bearings, warped axle.. make sure it rotates freely and there's no play in it
    3) do same with the front sprocket, check rotation/play in the carrier without the chain on
    4) yes, you could be unlucky to have bought a duff chain :(

3. Simon7875

Simon7875 New Member

Checked all the above can't see anything wrong I haven't ridden the bike yet though so if it's on Saturday I'll see if it's any different after a little ride

4. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

There is allways a slight tight spot on a chain, this is the spot in the manual it says to do your adjustment from. Do you have a tight link? Remove chain and move each link to check, if they all seem fine I wouldn't worry to much just be sure you have your rear wheel centred properly

5. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

There is allways a slight tight spot on a chain, this is the spot in the manual it says to do your adjustment from. Do you have a tight link? Remove chain and move each link to check, if they all seem fine I wouldn't worry to much just be sure you have your rear wheel centred properly

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Simon7875

Simon7875 New Member

I'm starting to think it's just what you said mate I've checked the chain it's brand new links are all free I fitted it myself yesterday,Im a mechanic of twenty odd years and I've never noticed this before to this extent the bike rides ok,maybe I've got one that's at the extent of there manufacturing tolerance,thanks for the reply I'll get some miles on it and see if it makes any difference

7. wedgiewolves#223

wedgiewolves#223 God Like

Most chains i have had have a tight spot even new just do the adjustment at the tightest spot

8. Warren

Warren New Member

I've never had a new chain cause me this sort of problem, but then I always replace both sprockets with a new chain - which i note you have also done. One other thing to consider is the rear sprocket carrier.. take it off, make sure the rubbers aren't worn, re-seat it and torque it up... don't want to try and teach anyone how to suck eggs, specially as I've only been riding 3-4 years myself, but it is another thing to check ;)

9. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

What make of chain is it?

10. Simon7875

Simon7875 New Member

Checked three other bikes all the same so not to worried now it's a did extreme kit