2017 CBR1000RR build quality

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Ice Doc, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Gaffa22

Gaffa22 Well-Known Member

Had mine come on after oiling the chain on paddock stands It cleared itself after three days

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Ice Doc

Ice Doc Active Member

How did you know it wasn't a serious engine problem? I was riding mine around to see if it would clear, but I'd assumed I'd have to get the error code removed before the light would go off..

3. Gaffa22

Bcc
    because it came on whilst the engine was running with the rear wheel spinning so I knew what had caused it,
    It won't clear whilst you are riding it, I think it's after a certain number of engine restarts.
    I was going to pop into the dealers to have it cleared, but it cleared itself.

4. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

Don't forget though, when you're pulling a wheelie the front wheel is still spinning allbeit slower than the rear. Also the bike might use the IMU to realise that it's pulling a wheelie and ignore the front wheel speed sensor. Having the rear wheel spinning in gear whilst the bike is stationary is alien to the ecu obviously and hence it throws a fault up because it thinks the speed sensor is buggered. Running the bike on a stand is bad practice all round tbh, apparently it can be quite bad on for some shaft driven bikes.

5. Gaffa22

I'd done it before to oil the chain without problems, but on this occasion I think it was spinning a little too long.
    Don't see why it's bad practice I've done it for many years without any issues.

6. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

It's bad practice because you're inches away from a moving chain and sprocket. I just spin the wheel by hand, it's only 2 or 3 revolutions to lube the chain and it's done. BUT we all do things in our everyday life that are bad practice. I very rarely drop the mains off before changing any fittings or switches/sockets. Each to their own but you only get 2 sets of fingers.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Could you be thinking back a number of years when the rear wheels were 18 inches and the front 19? That created the situation of the rear wheel turning faster - or more correctly, performing more rotations - due to its smaller size.;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Probably :)

9. hitch

hitch Elite Member

Just to add that 21st Moto in Swanley dont have the best reputation.
    Why, as a dealer, did they not offer to clear the code? (or did they at a cost? o_O)

• Like Like x 1
  10. RC45

RC45 Active Member

Those folks are full of it.

If that type of error is being caused by the rear wheel turning while the bike is standing still, it will resolve itself at the next 2 ignition cycles.

You can review your own codes via the dash board and this code should resolve itself after normal operations resume - unless there really is a front wheel speed sensor error.

You will not get the error pulling a wheelie. This error is due to the wheel not turning from when you roll out - you may notice that under normal conditions you have a light on the dash after you start - then all goes dark once you roll 20 feet. The bike is checking front/rear wheel sensor input.

If I where you I would find another more knowledgeable service center.

What is the current status?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Gaffa22

Mine took more than two ignition cycles to clear probably about 4 I think

12. RC45

RC45 Active Member

On a 2017+ bike?

13. Gaffa22

IMG_0625.JPG
    Yes a 2017

14. keithg1748

keithg1748 Active Member

to true , tip don't put your fingers or thumbs near the moving chain whilst cleaning , I wont do it again , well not with that thumb anyway . lol

Attached Files:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

Ouch!!! Nobody wants to stick their fingers into a moving chain and sprocket but for no explicable reason once in a blue moon your brain has a short circuit and in they go! Could happen the first time you lube your chain like this or the 5000th time. Don't run your bike on a stand to lube a chain, there is no benefit whatsoever.

Thanks for illustrating Keith.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. keithg1748

keithg1748 Active Member

your welcome and your right I have always done it but that time it caught me and that was it , thumb fractured in 2 places and lost the top ,thumb is now useless so lesson learned , the hard way .