2017 Fireblade Traction Control - help please!

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Richinio, Mar 18, 2019.

1. nevsrevs

nevsrevs New Member

I know of 3

2. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Holy Honda, Rich. What a disastrous position to be in! Applaud Sutton's though; 1 member on here (inactive at the moment) has purchased about 8 Blades from them. I'm in the area so do know that they carry a good reputation. Having made that point though, I do see it as the dealer's responsibility to relay the problem to Honda UK - not your own. Certainly you could as reinforcement of the dealer's submission, but there's a sincere lack of customer compassion if the buck's passed solely to you.

Wish I could help. I just haven't taken mine to those limits.

Yet.:(

3. PaulK

PaulK New Member

Fair play to the dealer, but how can Honda tech say there is not a problem when one of their dealers are telling them there is? They need at the very least send a tech out to take a look and get it fixed. Honda do seem to have a head in the sand\total denial of problems their bikes suffer. I had a 2002 VFR 800 VTEC that nearly killed me in France due to the surging on closed throttle issues. Maybe it is the potential cost of the recall that makes them act the way they do. However on a 190BHP bike that could easily bite your ass on a wet or icy day they need to except that even the best tech brains can sometimes get it wrong

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Richinio

Richinio New Member

Seems to me, either Honda are too arrogant to believe their product is imperfect, or they are worried about the cost involved in coming clean.

5. RC45

RC45 Active Member

Would love to hear what testing procedure they are following.

Can you ask them to break down their testing regimen. What process, steps and methods they are using to test the TC.

In this scenario I think they are being a little less that completely honest as there is no conceivable way that you the customer would need to be the liaison between them and Honda for a purely technical issue.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

~Ambitious call Mr RC45:D.

I reckon you could find out what process, steps and methods Theresa May is using to achieve a Brexit resolve before a Honda dealer would let out that info;).

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Richinio

Richinio New Member

I'm going into Sutton MC on Saturday. I've only spoken by phone so far.

I intend to ask them for a written report, I'll see if they'll oblige.

8. RC45

RC45 Active Member

LOL - thats kinda my point. If they really were doing a proper test they might say "as per the Honda Service Manual test regimen " or similar.

Since no such process is documented other than TC light is on, system fault replace hardware, I think they are just being creative in their story telling :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

it makes you wonder if anybody's TC works?

10. nevsrevs

nevsrevs New Member

Just bumped into Bridgestone at Jerez, testing bikes, guess what tyre size they have fitted on the 19 sp?
    When I asked how are you running that size tyre the Bridgestone tech said simple we recalibrate the ecu for the right diameter.

11. RC45

RC45 Active Member

My money is on whomever you spoke to is full of shit.

Did you see the tyre size and verify the bike is a stock bike and not running the HRC ECU with the street accouterments disabled? Was the Ohlins hooked up and functional?

Why would they be testing non-stock sizes on stock bikes that Honda explicitly will not support?

There is a marked difference between any of the race bikes (Superstock, Racebase or Superbike) and the street bike as sold.

I would like to have the telephone contact info for this Bridgestone team. Both Honda and Bridgestone have lied a lot with regard to the SC77 bikes.

Both companies have been straight up dishonest.

12. nevsrevs

nevsrevs New Member

Yes I seen it in the flesh. They had 2 2017 and 2 19’s along with the new s1000rr and a lot of other bikes. Wait for the videos

• Like Like x 1
  13. RC45

RC45 Active Member

Seeing in this case is not believing.

If they have 2017 CBRs with 200/6x/17 rear tyres and claim they have calibrated the ECU then they are either idiots or liers - maybe both.

The only way they are calibrating the ECU for tyre size is if they are HRC ECUs in which case they are not testing with stock bikes.

Was this a magazine? Bridgetstone? Honda?

If this was Honda then they are a bunch of fucking jerks.

Customers all over the world have been specifically asking about and for support for 200/6x/17 rear tyres since March 2017 and Honda have in no uncertain terms said they will NOT support this tyre size.

14. cronester

cronester Active Member

Just a thought but maybe they have use the Woolwich software to re map the ECU ..

• Like Like x 1
  15. nevsrevs

nevsrevs New Member

No they said they are running stock sizes on the 2017 and changing the settings on the dash on the
    2019, this was the Bridgestone tech and it’s a Bridgestone launch

16. RC45

RC45 Active Member

Woolich software has no capacity to calibrate the system for tyre size

Then we need to see this 2019 Sport Kit Menu tyre size calibration ability being shown off by Honda dealers in the retail situation.

And if they where running stock sized tyres on the 2017, what tyres where they? V02 190/50s?

**edit**

Bridgestone is full of it.

We can put the "mystery" of the 2019 ECU to bed. Just got off the phone to my good friends at Ten Kate in Holland and they took a 2019 bike and stepped through the dash menus and the Sport Kit calibration menu is still locked away behind the HRC ECU pay-wall.

#56 RC45, Mar 28, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
    • Useful Useful x 2
  17. nevsrevs

nevsrevs New Member

Well the chap is a stone faced liar then!
    When I said to him and pointed out that 2 of the bikes are 2017 and he would not be able to change the tyre settings he smerked, he then asked us to leave the garage area, but I can’t understand how or why they had a 200/55 fitted to the 2019

18. RC45

RC45 Active Member

Was the bike in stock body trim with head lights, mirrors, reflectors and rear mudguard?

And if it turns out that the street ECU doesn't care about the tyre size and we can run 200/6x/17 tyres then I wish Honda would just come out and say so.

THEY are the problem here - it is Honda that refuses to take ownership of setup questions for their bike.

#58 RC45, Mar 28, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
  19. jamesd744

jamesd744 New Member

I know this might be a bit late in the day but I thought you had 30 days to return something if it were faulty or not as described,

20. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

In the case of the original poster (OP), @Richinio , he has done just that with the dealer being reasonable at this stage.

On the other hand, there could be owners who might not notice this 'flaw'* (if we are to agree it is consistent across the range) until beyond the thirty days, especially in an example of buying the bike in summer and only finding they need traction control in winter.

• Agree Agree x 1