2017 honda

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by graemewalker, Jun 22, 2016.

1. dessp2

dessp2 Well-Known Member

Don't get me wrong I would love a collection (VTR SP1, VTR SP2, RVF RC45 would be mine if I could afford it), but I don't understand why anyone would collect a bike that is loaded with electronics like the new SP2 or the RCV. Each to their own I guess.

2. Blix

Blix Active Member

Anything produced in limited numbers will be snapped up by speculators, it could be an absolute turd (which it isn't obviously) but it will only appreciate, the biggest problem for me is that these bikes generally won't be ridden very much, but hey ho it's their money.

3. derchef

derchef Well-Known Member

Got mine in mid december , will have the second one in 3 weeks
    in case THAT customer is ready to pay ...

4. Ian E

Ian E Active Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. dessp2

dessp2 Well-Known Member

I think I am crumbling to pressure and looking to get the RR in Red. I am holding out for any possible finance incentives. The problem is I want the following fitted as well before I ride away from the dealers:- Akrapovic slip on (been told it's still under development), Honda Gel seat (Will there be one), single seat cowl, Honda Quick Shifter, R&G rad guard.

6. Gaffa22

Gaffa22 Well-Known Member

You might struggle to get one there are no red ones left in the UK.
    And Honda UK do not know when they will get any more

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. dessp2

dessp2 Well-Known Member

There seems to be quite a few on eBay Gaffa, maybe they have already been sold and the advert not removed. I will just have to wait until the next batch.

8. Gaffa22

Yes the dealers still advertise them and there are plenty of black ones available, there might be an odd one kicking around at a dealers, but very few.
    Honda UK cannot meet the current orders for Red bikes with the £750 contribution and are having to ship some bikes in from somewhere in Europe.
    I have seen this in writing in a dealer bulletin

• Like Like x 1
  9. glenn

glenn Active Member

is it the same for the sp

10. Gaffa22

Not sure Glenn, wasn't looking at the SP, I think there are a few SP's at dealers.
    My local dealer has one.
    I would like one but you can't take a pillion on an SP

• Like Like x 1
  11. Wozza

Wozza Elite Member

Just seen Ducati are doing a tricup options package on the 959 so can ....higher screen etc....might be worth a look

12. Blix

Blix Active Member

Had a good look at both the standard version and the SP yesterday in my local dealer, felt very similar to my 14 to sit on, the screen is much smaller, I'll take the Standard out for a test ride when I get the chance, personally I'm not wild on the red tbh but the thing I really dislike is the panels on each side of the frame, looks almost ok on the black frame but looks shite on the silver SP, sure they could have done something better than this.
    Also had a sit on the GSXR and that feels a very similar riding position to mine as well, have to admit the handlebar switchgear looks very poor on that, rest of bike looks good though.

IMG_4866.PNG

13. tuktuk

tuktuk Elite Member

• Like Like x 4
  14. tuktuk

tuktuk Elite Member

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. TheRamJam

TheRamJam Well-Known Member

My local Honda dealer have a big test ride event this weekend. So i've bagged a go on the new SP :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Gaffa22

Enjoy :D

17. Jkaye

Jkaye Active Member

Blagged a test ride on a new SP yesterday, turned up at Squires cafe out of the blue and low and behold Craig's Honda were there doing test rides for the 2017 models, a quick chat and they said they only had an SP available in 15 mins, I said oh well I suppose it'll have to do :) a good half hour blast through the country roads and back to Squires, conclusion not much difference between that and my 15 plate Repsol and I definitely can't see nearly 20K in it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

I had a two hour test ride of the SP1 yesterday.
    Verdict?
    Very nice, but let's start with the bad. Sorry to focus on the negatives.
    Very poor throttle response off idle, you shouldn't need to grab a handful of throttle just to get it to set off. Even when moving after closing the throttle it felt like it was going onto reserve ( remember those days). Totally unacceptable in 2017. Could this be the Fireblade's new Achilles heel. I hope not.
    Poor upper body wind protection. My 2012 has the Honda higher screen so maybe I've been spoilt. The lower screen results in more dead insects on your leathers.
    I had a moment with the tyres tramlining on a ridge mid bend
    I'm no expert but I couldn't really feel much difference with the electronic suspension compared to me standard 2012, both are hard to point of painful over some bumps. I intentionally rode the SP1 over bumps I normally have to ride over, it just felt the same. Probably because electronic suspension can only be reactive.
    Good points
    Engine is silky smooth and turbine like when the fuelling is working
    Brakes are excellent, if a little slow for the initial bite. I never noticed any hint of the old c-abs issue.
    Clocks are good and informative, colour dash, is a nice touch too.
    Cornering is spot on, I know it's a cliche but it really is as if on rails.
    Quick shifter is good but not a deal breaker for me.

I feel the SP1 is well above my capabilities and really wouldn't warrant me purchasing one. Sort the fuelling and I'd be happy with a base model, with a higher screen.

• Like Like x 2
  19. okeloon

okeloon Active Member

A3D624D6-F6EC-4CA6-84D6-B6A4D7DE8A65.jpg 30B37788-5336-4CE3-B918-F7C8F89F0516.jpg Had a demo at the weekend...not what I expected at all. Started off gentle and thought it was running out of fuel, awful. Zero slack on the throttle, made it tricky around town. Got out of town and then things changed for the better, kinda thought it would be like a sewing machine, smooth and well-mannered. Wrong. Get to 7k rpm and it's a beast! Raw and wild, almost rough sounding as though it had an aftermarket pipe on.

Compared to my RR6 it was narrow and light, suspension was taut, gearshift was smooth and I really appreciated the gear indicator, never thought I would. The seat was small and hard and the pillion seat even worse than mine.

Hated the OE levers and the plastic housing next to the throttle was humongous. Nasty.

Did I like it? Yes. Would I get one if I could afford one? Yes.

Did make me stiffen the RR6 forks and rear too...it felt like a sofa when I got back on

20. Gaffa22

Thats odd okeloon the one I test rode and the one I bought are both silky smooth on the throttle below 7k, I do like zero slack in the throttle.
    The suspension is well sprung though, I weigh 110kgs and had to soften the front and rear quite a bit to get a Road sag setting of 35 - 40mm
    so light riders might struggle to get a good road setting. The plus side is I know I have plenty of adjustment for track settings