2017 honda

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by graemewalker, Jun 22, 2016.

1. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

Yea my other bike is a BMW XR so the fuel gauge on that is computer driven and gives MPG and miles to empty but it still doesn't interest me to be honest. I still reset my trip everytime and look at that mostly for timing my fuel stops.

Yes you're right, If you are doing big miles in a day on the continent trying to get somewhere then I can see why you want a gauge. Sat navs that count down to fueI stops are a god send though well said! I dont do more than 250-300 miles in a day when I tour, probably why I don't use the gauge.

2. Gaffa22

Gaffa22 Well-Known Member

You don't really need a fuel gauge as it does tell you the mileage you have left when it hits reserve which is around 30 miles depending how hard you have been riding it. but mixed riding it get 40 mpg + so that's around 130 - 140 miles to reserve
    it does also tell you average fuel consumption. It certainly seems more economical that my 2009 blade
    and its way quicker, it really does try and rip your arms off if you give it the beans.

3. Singh1000RR

Singh1000RR Active Member

4. sp1n99

sp1n99 Active Member

Be wary of using your satnav for fuel stops. I found that a couple of times it took me to fuel stations that had obviously been closed for years. This caused a couple of bum clenching moments finding alternatives so I reverted to my trip gauge and started looking at about 120 miles.

5. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

Haha yep that's happened to me too! I usually aim for the penultimate stop.

6. Gaffa22

Silly comment about fitting the pillion pegs though, he obviously hasnt read the manual or the warning sticker.
    The maximum recommended carried weight on an SP1 is 110kilo because the rear frame has been lightened so much.
    That's why I went for the standard blade so I could take my missus on the back.

7. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

8. Gaffa22

still not a bad review and the BSB boys aren't doing that bad higher in the standings than Yamaha and only one place behind the BMW so not a totally disastrous racing season, although i'll admit the road racing was not good.
    I think the BSB boys will keep improving as the season progresses. oh and did I mention neither of the BSB racers have suffered any false neutrals.

9. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

It was these sentences that felt like back pedalling to me, no mention of that when they were singing it's praises last month.

"The throttle off-to-on is abrupt in first and second corners. There is, too, a general inconsistency in the way the engine braking and anti-wheelie behave"

"TC (torque control as Honda call it) was bizarrely intrusive"

Don't worry Gaffa, this is more of a dig at MCN rather than the new blade. I haven't ridden one yet so I reserve judgement :)

10. Gaffa22

Wouldn't mind if it was, some peeps are having problems and forums are the place to discuss and inform others, I hope Honda will sort out any problems. There are obviously a few bikes with throttle problems.

11. Cbrjay

Cbrjay Well-Known Member

Guy Martin was walking around the paddock when he stumbled upon a Genie's lamp. He picked it up and rubbed it, and lo-and-behold a Genie appeared. Guy was amazed and asked if he was going to receive the usual three wishes.
    The Genie said, "Nope ... due to inflation, constant downsizing, low wages in third-world countries, and fierce global competition, I can only grant you one wish. So ... what'll it be?"
    Guy didn't hesitate. He said, "I want peace in the Middle East. See this map? I want these countries to stop fighting with each other."
    The Genie looked at the map and exclaimed, "Gadzooks, Guy! These countries have been at war for thousands of years. I'm good, but not THAT good! I don't think it can be done. Make another wish."
    Guy thought for a minute and said, "Well, I've always wanted to win a TT race but the gearbox needs fixing on this new Honda to give me a chance of finishing a TT race let alone winning. So that's what I wish for ... a sorted Honda bike."
    The Genie let out a long sigh and said, "Let me see that fucking map!"

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  12. ColinBR

ColinBR God Like

BSB has ditched any of the road going electronics and the standard fly by wire throttle as far as I'm aware and running motec to try and rid it of the problems they are having.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. sp1n99

sp1n99 Active Member

I think motec is the spec electronics for bsb so they had no choice to ditch it.
    It would have been better for Honda to have kept the oem electronics then they could have developed it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Gaffa22

Yes they all have to use the control ECU
    I agree it's a shame as they could have developed the oem electronics.

15. Blix

Blix Active Member

16. Beckers

Beckers Elite Member

:):):)
    It has a smaller tank but better range

17. Beckers

Beckers Elite Member

18. SimonRR

SimonRR God Like

Smaller tank, more power but better range sounds a bit suspect to me?

19. Gaffa22

I get better range and MPG compared to my 09 Blade, more power but more efficient, and lets be honest how often do you get to use the extra power on the road ? You can't actually use half the power and stay within speed limits

• Like Like x 1
  20. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

I don't want to upset people - especially if you have bought an expensive bike that you are happy with - fine. The Fireblade has always sold to different riders wanting different things.

Personally I am not going to accept these limitations, on an expensive new bike.

He is saying that you put 3.5 gallons in and then the trip meter will tell you that you have used so many gallons and then you work out how many gallons you have left, and therefore your remaining range in miles.

• What's a gallon and where do you buy them from ?
    • If I calculate in my head that I have 0.2 gallons left, what does that mean ?

A fuel computer will tell you from fill-up what your range is. And it will count down showing you the remaining range in miles or kilometres. It will also show you a simple visual meter.

I realise a lot of people do not care - maybe even most people do not care - but I am not going to be bullshited into accepting that calculating in your head the percentage of gallons, and possible mileage remaining, is a better system than an accurate fuel gauge/computer.

If you don't make a fuss nothing happens !:D