2017 RA-H Latest woes

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Ice Doc, Oct 1, 2020.

1. stelwalker

stelwalker Active Member

Very poor seem to be clutching at straws. When you go to "the experts" you hope that things will be put right in quick time. Mainstream dealers don't give a toss once you've made your purchase and things age. We had the same issues with the battery about a year ago which seemed to take an age to sort for both of us. My PCP is up in March planned to keep the bike as I love it but at the minute I'm sitting on the fence... have a whining noise at around 3.5k-5k on acceleration, took out the extended warranty been in 3 times now and they just keep saying it's ok, personally think it could be something to do with the gearbox. Have very little confidence in the local dealer :(

2. RC45

RC45 Active Member

Have them call me up. I have a couple spare UK and US ECUs here. SP ABS and SP2.

As for them swapping in a known good unit, just pull one from an adjacent bike. It would be no different to them getting a fresh one from Honda.
    Then when its all good put it back on the other bike.

On the other hand, if you have are willing to wait another 2 weeks or so then post it to my UK location and I'll recover your ECU, flash it to an eye watering level of performance (you'll have the hardest hitting SC77 in the UK by far), disable the HISS crap and have you on your way.

If it turns out your ECU is good and the flash takes it'll be 300 of the Queens Money - if your ECU has gone tits up, then no charge from me and you will be no harder up than you are now LOL :cool:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Ice Doc

Ice Doc Active Member

Thanks, yes having just spoken to 21st Moto, they have been told to now check the integrity of the wires in the loom under the fuel tank - by stripping the wiring loom sheath and testing each wire. However, they won't have time to test the entire loom now until after Christmas. So that's another month away. I'm a very patient person, but I'm starting to think about what options I have on the legal front. Only thing is, with all the Covid it's difficult for everyone, so in the whole scheme of things, it is only a bike..

4. Ice Doc

Ice Doc Active Member

I'll hold out liking / agreeing with your post until I've spoken to Honda UK/EU Customer Care... so watch this space.

5. Ice Doc

Ice Doc Active Member

Blimey, I hope it isn't that simple - but someone else suggested there could be an earth issue - but it's my understanding these have all been checked. Sadly my fault only appears after a random time of riding - last time I rode it for around 2 hours before anything appeared, and then again after about an hour (after they'd replaced the IMU)..

6. Ice Doc

Ice Doc Active Member

Ditto - my PCP is up in March and at this rate I'll tell them what they can do with the bike (but it will surely be worth more than £4k which is my final payment). I've covered nearly 15k miles up until March 2020, and then about 100 miles since - because I've not had the bike.. Apart from the battery problem, LCD screen becoming unglued and this problem with the TC/ABS it's all been good fun. I used to think my CB600RR was a nightmare with it's dodgy ABS braking system, but at least I had it to ride.. I'm definitely thinking of an S1000RR instead of Honda in future..

7. Ice Doc

Ice Doc Active Member

If they were a larger dealer they'd be able to swap the ECU (and you need to swap the lock set too apparently) for a known good one, but they're quite small so are reliant upon Honda sending parts - which apparently Honda don't like doing - I'm going to ask Honda UK Customer Care to send one of everything that it could possibly be, or I'm not going to pay any more to their Finance department until they fix it.

8. dmc12

dmc12 Well-Known Member

Interesting this re the reflash! How much extra can you get out of it? I know the US bikes had a very restrictive map but I thought the euro/UK bikes were much better served? Or is there lots of headroom above even that map too?

9. RC45

RC45 Active Member

They are simply riding out your warranty at this point.

This is an asinine and dumb method.
    They don't need to strip the harness to test the integrity of the harness.
    I think you are being played by Honda.

#69 RC45, Dec 15, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
  10. RC45

RC45 Active Member

Its not so much the power produced, it is how the power produced is made available to the rider.

The US and UK bikes are mechanically identical. All the restriction is in the ECU.
    Remember, HRC Superstock bikes use a stock engine yet are significantly quicker that street stock bikes.
    Only difference is the ECU. Everything is in the ECU setup.

I make Honda OEM street ECUs behave as if they were HRC ECUs and the difference is astonishing.
    Track day bikes carrying an extra 10mph on the straightaways due to how hard the bike can pull out of corners. etc.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

I struggle to that the issue is the size of the dealer, sorry that’s complete BS they are giving you, as you are probably aware we are down to 3 Honda dealers in Kent now, 21st Moto, Maidstone Honda and Kent Motorcyles, all solo dealers, with Maidstone probably the ‘largest’ operation, so I’d either take it there, or demand that 21st Moto work with Maidstone to supply an ECU to them to test.

Sorry but as a solo dealer, it’s a compete load of bolloxs to play the small dealer bit, that’s if they are of course and it’s not just your perception of them. They are Hondas authorised agent and should be acting as one in resolving the issue.

Guess there’s a reason having been buying Hondas for 40 years in Kent, why I use Maidstone and Kent MCs even though they are further away.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

Can't see what their issues are with checking the CANbus wiring, looking at the wiring diagram for the 2017 bike it seems straight forward to me. CAN H and CAN L wires which are brown and red, going between the 32 pin dash connector, a 12 pin CAN junction connector, the IMU 4 pin connector, an ECU connector and an 18 pin ABS modulator connector. They need to check there are no pushed back pins in all the connectors and there are no shorts to earth.

Have you tried ringing Honda UK and telling them the whole story? Time for no more Mr Nice Guy I think, start cracking some skulls! :D

• Like Like x 1
  13. Saqib

Saqib Active Member

I would concur with the advice above.

Asking for a like-for-like replacement, and partial refund on payments, may get things moving faster.

For me.. I'm not riding my Blade over winter, so not a big deal. I don't believe thats the case for you?

• Like Like x 1
  14. RC45

RC45 Active Member

The entire continuity testing process is outlined in the retail service manual.
    And is covered in the general Honda service guideline documents.

Its not hard, either the dealer or Honda UK are being dishonest here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Ice Doc

Ice Doc Active Member

Well I've spoken with Honda Customer Care today and the person I spoke with indicated that he thought I was due some compensation - we'll see. I'm going to collect the bike on Saturday, fixed or not, to see whether the fault returns. If it does, I'll probably be on here trying to find out if there's a way to clear the fault without having a fancy OBD2 type reader for the bike.. and thanks, I don't think shipping the ECU to you would be the quickest way to clear it ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ice Doc

Ice Doc Active Member

Well I was initially told by 21st Moto that they were treating my bike as a priority. Now it seems the workshop is fully booked until after Christmas so that's why I'm going to pick the bike up. My extended warranty doesn't expire until March 2022 so I do hope they're not dragging out. I am miffed that I've paid insurance, road tax and tracker subscription and I'm not able to use the bike. All the time I'm paying my PCP payments (ok at 0% APR) and the bike is depreciating in value.
    I like the team at 21st Moto, and I like to support local businesses, but I do feel that my patience is being tested with this one - but Covid is making everything that much more difficult, so I'm not ready to throw my toys out of the pram just yet..
    But I discussed the option with Honda Customer Care of potentially taking it elsewhere such as Dobles or Maidstone Honda, but I'd want to talk to 21st Moto first though as it's only fair I think (maybe I'm too nice, but there are many worse things going on in the world right now).

#76 Ice Doc, Dec 17, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Ice Doc

Ice Doc Active Member

No, I'm riding all year and hence the bike covered more than 14k miles in the first two years, but it the last 9 months I've probably only added around 1k miles as I've not been commuting daily and I've not had the bike for big chunks of the year.
    I've sent a list of demands to Honda Customer Care, which I hope will make them realise that I'm paying a fortune for insurance I'm not using, road tax, tracker subscription, etc.. So I'm hopeful (maybe naively so) of them offering me something to say sorry for the mess and the time I've been without the bike. I'll keep this post updated anyway. I just hope the fault isn't a loose negative terminal connection to the battery as that would be utterly ridiculous!

• Like Like x 2
  18. Ice Doc

Ice Doc Active Member

So, yes - emailed them earlier this week, only an acknowledgement, so I called them this morning and explained very calmly that they should consider sending every conceivable part that might be the problem to 21st Moto to get the to swap everything out that it could be (then Honda can find out which bit was faulty), or they need to provide me with a loan bike that is the same model as mine to use free of charge until it's fixed. I'll let you know when I hear back from my "case handler".

• Like Like x 1
  19. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

You need to put pressure on the finance company as they own the bike not you, in cases like this, often a discussion with them can put greater pressure on the manufacturer than you can.

You are protected by law with a finance agreement, if you have free legal advice with an insurance policy, home etc, I’d be talking to them as well, the last thing the finance company wants is a bike backed to them during the agreement period and a compensation claim from you.

Your chances direct with Honda are slim, when people were at risk of serious injury with the ABS fiasco, they didn’t give a fuck if their customers health was compromised or not, so in their eyes your problems are probably at the level of the round filing tray on the floor.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Ice Doc

Ice Doc Active Member

Well the finance is with Honda too though I believe, so it's all rather "in-house". I did think that my CBR600RR wouldn't have had this issue (since it didn't have all the electronics), but then I remembered it used to have the brake lever going to the handlebars on occasions that would scare the creepies out of me..
    I'm going to give Honda until Christmas to sort it, and not let it spoil my break, then I'll come back with the January blues and create hell if it's not sorted.

• Like Like x 1