2017 RR Test ride

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Blix, Sep 26, 2017.

1. tuktuk

tuktuk Elite Member

Even before euro 4, the exhaust is one of the first things people change on their bikes.

Honda then decides that with a further restrictive system, they would make it out of a much more expensive metal :confused:

2. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

I like the exhaust on the new blade, it's not something I would change especially as it sounds good aswell. But it becomes a big waste of money if you don't like it. Suzuki have been quite clever with the new gsxr 1000. They know the exhaust is something that most people change so they've put the cat in there. Unfortunately unless you are partially sighted and you like the look of the exhaust on the new gsxr then it's going to need changing. Which turns a 13k bike into a 14k bike (if you start correcting the fuelling etc). Not sure which approach I prefer, Honda or Suzuki.

3. Blix

Blix Active Member

I am ok with the new Honda exhaust as well, it's not beautiful as such but I could live with it and it does make a nice noise.
    Is the CAT in the end can on the Suzuki? I wasn't aware of that, I know it is on the Aprillia.
    Suzuki are sticking After market Yoshi's on them FOC now, that can only be to boost sales as they don't do it out of goodwill.

4. dainesefreak

dainesefreak Senior Member

I have to say, other than changing screens I never change anything on my bikes, I leave them stock. The Honda I've got no issue with but the Suzuki's is gopping. If I was looking to buy the GSXR the exhaust and fuelling would have to be sorted as part of the deal.

5. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

That's what I'd heard....i could be wrong though.

6. Blix

Blix Active Member

It is big enough, you could fit a Bengal Tiger in there never mind a CAT.
    So if you ditch the can you'll almost certainly need a power commander or some such.
    Last report on the MCN long term GSXR I think the guy had done all that and still didn't think it was right and basically said no matter how crap the exhaust looked it was better than anything else, I guess everything is a compromise.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

That gsxr exhaust is beyond horrendous..I wouldn't even ride out of the showroom on it. Most of the ones I've seen in store have had the yoshis already put on, surely they must have it running right before they sell it?!? Feckin euro 4! looks like we're stuck with it even when we leave the EU :(

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Gaffa22

Gaffa22 Well-Known Member

The fueling issues are due to euro 4 emission levels, they have to run them very lean or use massive cats to meet the tests.
    Honda being totally against unnecessary extra weight have gone down the route of running the bike very lean.
    the AFR of the bike I saw on the dyno was over 15% up to 7000 rpm and that's quite a bit higher than the optimum.
    If and when I fit an aftermarket exhaust I will also fit a rapid bike evo module, that will sort the fueling.

• Like Like x 1
  9. gcon45

gcon45 Active Member

For those who have ridden both;
    Is the SP worth going for over the standard blade?

10. dainesefreak

On a slightly different note, my local dealer is selling the two SPs they've got in for £17490 new.

11. Blix

Blix Active Member

The dealer I was in had their demo for £16500 with 800 mile on it, bargain if it's got the right tyres ;)

12. dainesefreak

Fairly sure the SPs had Bridgestones. The standard Blades were on Dunlop Qualifiers, god knows why.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Blix

Blix Active Member

Last pair of Dunlops I had were Arromax I think on my GPZ600, I wasn't struck in them then with 80 hp ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. gary1966

gary1966 Active Member

My standard blade has the newer Bridgestone s21.
    If my bike hadn't of come with the yoshi fitted I would of stuck with the standard exhaust, it's very well made some lovely welding and it's so lightweight.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Gaffa22

No only some were on Dunlops, mine also came with Bridgestones

16. dainesefreak

I meant in my local dealer. I mentioned the price of the 2 SPs they had in.

17. Gaffa22

ah sorry df, my bad

18. dainesefreak

No worries. Looking forward to seeing what offers are around next spring now.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Blix

Blix Active Member

Just out of interest does the new Blade have an electronic steering damper, I'm just asking as when I first went out I was knocking the bars about a bit just to get a feel for it when I was on a quiet straight road and it seemed to be putting up quite a bit of resistance, I didn't really have any trouble when riding/cornering with it on normal roads it just felt a bit tight initially, obviously I'd just stepped off mine so it could be the transition but I just thought I'd ask if any new owners noticed a difference.

I wasn't doing a Rossi peg stand swerve before you ask ;)

20. Gaffa22

Yes it has an electronic steering damper

• Like Like x 1