2017 Z1000SX

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by edderby, Mar 14, 2017.

1. edderby

edderby Active Member

I just bought this for trips out with my girfriend:
    [​IMG]
    twin akropovics, paniers etc due any day now.
    Still running it in (only just done 250 miles). It's not as nice to ride as the blade, but it's a good laugh all the same - it's got wide bars, quite a bit more torque at low revs (not like I thought I needed any, but actually quite a treat all the same), a strange "grandad" upright seating position and plenty of new fangled electronics that I am new to (power modes, cornering ABS, traction modes etc).
    Time will tell how how much I ride each one, but I'm fairly sure that I will be keeping the blade for a while yet (I've been together with the blade for 8 years - more than with the girlfriend!)

• Like Like x 5
  2. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

Looks nice, enjoy it mate

3. Frankblue

Frankblue New Member

Just traded my SX in for a blade ! Had two SX over the last 4 years great bike and good for touring

4. kirkwall32

kirkwall32 Active Member

Looks nice, quite fancy a upright riding position myself as old age and being a grandad myself haha.

5. kirkwall32

kirkwall32 Active Member

Looks nice, quite fancy a upright riding position myself as old age and being a grandad myself haha.

6. edderby

edderby Active Member

That's interesting! I'm keeping both - I can't face parting with the blade, it's a lovely bike to ride, just not so good for a pillion who has joint problems. Will be interested to hear of your thoughts about how the 2 bikes compare. I've done 37,000 miles on the blade and just 250 miles on the SX, so it's early days yet.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Frankblue

Frankblue New Member

I did 14000 miles on the first SX, trouble free and touring around UK very comfy once the seat had bedded in, the missus liked the pillion position. Only did 5000 on the second one, but a 1400 mile Scotland trip in a week was great fun and again trouble free. I just fancied a spell back on a sports bike for a year or two.

• Like Like x 1
  8. edderby

edderby Active Member

Thanks, that's good to hear. Hoping that my girlfriend finds the Kawasaki comfy too.

9. Alblade

Alblade God Like

Bike magazine has a very good review / feedback on the 2017 this month, saying the gearing and engine is far more 'real world' friendly rather than chasing 180+ willy waving top speed. Went as far to say it would be an good proposition in a ZX10r if left with same gearing and most riders would probably be quicker on the road as much better torque / power delivery.

For the money they do look like a bit of a bargain against a sports bike - part explained by having an engine that's a bit 'old school' so way cheaper than the ZX10r's motor but updated with all the electronics you have

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. BlackDevil

BlackDevil Elite Member

Congratulations ! Best Sport Tourer on the market !

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. edderby

edderby Active Member

Yes it does seem good value. Component quality is not in same league as the blade (it's a bit more cheap and cheery) and as you say it's an old motor (developed from the ZX-9, I read). Gearing is actually slightly higher than my blade's - it calculates out at 14.8mph/1000 rpm in top against the blade's 14.2mph.

12. edderby

edderby Active Member

Thanks - let's hope so!