2020 CBR1000RR-R Starter Motor Dead!!!

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Jay Floyd, Aug 31, 2023.

1. Jay Floyd

Jay Floyd Active Member

Hi all,
    Well i noticed my bike was getting really sluggish to start over the last couple of weeks. I have got a Lithium Battery fitted and never had any issues with it.
    So charged it for 24 hours, and still sluggish to start..... So i bought another battery, charged it for 24 hours..... Fitted it and still the same outcome???
    Tried to start again and the starter relay was just clicking.... so i checked all of the fuses..... All Good. I even jumped the starter relay, ...... all good..... everything was pointing to the starter motor.....

Yep, i removed the starter motor and it was well and truly goosed!! so much so the magnets fell out.
    So after a pricey starter motor purchase, which should arrive in the next day or so all will be good :)
    (Just out of Warranty :( )

Just thought i would post this up, so if anyone else has the same issue then this may help

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

Did you not approach the honda dealer for any good will honda UK would offer as the bike is only just out of warranty?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. Jay Floyd

Jay Floyd Active Member

I rang them and they basically told me to do one !!

4. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

At least you tried - piss poor that though, for a bike of that age and price tag. Honda used to be good at this.

#4 Boothman, Aug 31, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. raphael

raphael Elite Member

Honda are a total crap brand without any good will what so ever, the screw on top of the swing arm to hold the hugger failed on my blade leaving a 50 pence size hole in the swing arm on a just turned 3 year old bike with only 300 miles on it and they told me to jog on, have a look at the price of a swing arm :eek::eek:

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Jay Floyd

Jay Floyd Active Member

Well new starter motor fitted and it's done :) she fires up so bloody fast.... just goes to show that it has not been right for a while...

• Like Like x 5
  7. Jez

Jez Senior Member

If you don't mind a bit of hassle you can threaten them with "not fit for purpose" when trying to claim, My son bought an 18 month old second hand bike, the panels had started to fade, of course they weren't interested at first, but in the end we got a full set of panels.But be prepared for a bit of a fight

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Jay Floyd

Jay Floyd Active Member

TBH i cannot be bothered with the hassle. But a great result for your son :)

9. dgr

dgr Active Member

I'm not sure where you ordered the starter motor from but it is worth looking abroad before ordering in the UK. WeBike in Japan will ship to the UK for £230. Lings want over £900 for the same part! I ordered some parts for my VFR recently and they came quickly with no import duty or VAT. Admittedly the order cost was less but I think you'd still be better off. upload_2023-9-12_15-49-14.png

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. bladey

bladey Senior Member

It's a rip off from the main dealers, just like my battery this summer. OEM from dealer £92 ish. Didn't have stock so could order different make from an electrical supplier £52. I collected it myself from same supplier £32. He told me the extra £20 was the dealership mark up. Took me 5 mins to get there, so probably 4p petrol. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
  11. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

The same is true for wheel bearings etc. never buy OEM.

12. Jez

Jez Senior Member

Manufacturers don't make bearings etc. but they do get them specially made at times so you can not buy standard off the shelf sizes, I am sure most of this is to make money on spares,
    at work we used to buy bearings and have them ground to size by the bearing supplier, this was still cheaper, If you think bike parts are extortionate try going into industry companies really do take the p1$$

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Jay Floyd

Jay Floyd Active Member

Yep used these :) way better than Honda prices :)

14. AhmedAlogaili

AhmedAlogaili New Member

check my post at the American forum:

https://www.1000rr.net/threads/detached-starter-magnet-repair-‘18.265912/#post-4337807

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Jay Floyd

Jay Floyd Active Member

• Like Like x 1
  16. AhmedAlogaili

AhmedAlogaili New Member

I took the other way of DIY repair it myself and it's working flawlessly now. My method saved me A LOT.
    Did you keep the malfunctioning starter by the way?