2020 engine in 08 frame

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Bigbrownyeti, May 22, 2024.

1. Bigbrownyeti

Bigbrownyeti New Member

Hey guys this is my first post as i bought a blade yesterday, ive got a very ambitious project but also a fairly small one too, i was wondering if its possible to throw a 2020 engine into an 08 frame, from the very bad pictures of engines ive seen they look like they have the same castings, just slightly different cases and i know a 2019 goes straight in due to another post on here, my blade has the death whine, ive also been told the bike will run just fine till it fails unless im clutching it up, which thats why i also have an ktm 1190 adv, so thats not a worry. But yeah were there any changers to the mounting points and is there any new tech that makes the swap alot more complicated, if so i will get a 2012-19 engine and be on my merry way

• Like Like x 1
  2. Bigbrownyeti

Bigbrownyeti New Member

I also forgot to mention i want to rebuild the crank on the lump i take out and try and squeeze it into my nc29 400 frame, im a fabricator by trade so what seems like alot of work is nothing compared to the stupid pointless shit my boss tries to convince me is necessary

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Saqib

Saqib Active Member

I think the engine will fit, but tbh - there is no substitute for you actually taking some measurements yourself. Perhaps pop down to a local dealer.

You'll have to take the electronics (ECUs, harnesses and keys) from the new bike. The airbox design will be different, you'll have to see how that fits under the fuel tank.

4. raphael

raphael Elite Member

That sounds a superb project mate! Hope you get that off the ground as would be very interested in the build thread.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Selmer50mark

Selmer50mark God Like

Sounds interesting. post the project on the forum in a thread with pictures.
    Hello and welcome by the way

6. Bigbrownyeti

Bigbrownyeti New Member

Cheers for the welcome, yeah i totally overlooked the airbox fitment, might be able to take a hammer for gentle persuasion on a second tank, i checked at dobles in south london, they said they havent had any in the showroom for a while. he said theres a bunch on order but they're being a bit long about sending the 2024 bikes over, offered no explanation, i really wanted a test ride, but the only had the 600, which looked incredibly small, have i grown or something or do all the sport bikes on the market seem incredibly small ?