20mph limits in all residential areas in the UK

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Yorkshire Tyke, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Yorkshire Tyke

Yorkshire Tyke Elite Member

On the news this morning. What do you guys think??

2. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

No complaints here to be honest, don't mess about in residential areas so won't cause me any problems.
    Plus now I have kids I look at things differently

• Like Like x 1
  3. Tom68

Tom68 Active Member

just paying lip service, How the hell are they going to police it. Dont have a problem with myself.

4. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

What do they define as residential?

Don't know how or why 20 would be any easier to enforce than the current 30 limit.

5. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

I think it's total boXXocks myself. This has been discussed and is being brought in many areas of Bristol and is a stupid idea.

WHY?

I agree some/many roads may benefit from 20 limit and would be happy to see this but 20 limit on https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.4...m4!1e1!3m2!1sf388HFUwg1fGIQHjNj35Nw!2e0?hl=en

is daft. To use a 20 limit on long wide roads is daft and give the council more reasons to catch people doing 26-7mph in a wide long road.

I agree a 20 is idea for roads like https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.4...m4!1e1!3m2!1sWHneID_1ScOr08wqMtNExA!2e0?hl=en

Also past schools etc...

#5 Remal, Apr 2, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  6. SimonRR

SimonRR God Like

It's been discussed for a while now, they are also trying to drop rural roads down to 50mph!

What happened to the promised increased on motorways to 80mph?

7. exfire

exfire Elite Member

I sometimes think they lose sight of what a road is actually for......vehicle traffic. If people walk out into the road without looking or deliberately walk in front of vehicles (common where I live) they should not be surprised they get run over.

I do think it is sensible to protect areas where there are schools. The whole thing about the 20 mph is I believe that injuries /risk of death sustained by being hit by a vehicle travelling at 20 mph are far less than they are at 30 mph.

Of course people that speed in a 30 mph zone are no more likely to adhere to a 20 mph limit than a 30 mph one.

I expect this will be as successful as the no using a mobile phone law.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Nick_BladeRR

Nick_BladeRR Active Member

Bacon must be low on funds again....

9. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

Don't you know SPPED KILLS!!! NO it does not! it just contributes to it sometimes.

So of my favorite roads are now a 50.

I feel the government needs to look into speeding & Speed. come on even many of the euro roads are 130KPH or 81MPH. modern cars and bikes are way more safe than they were when speed limits had been introduced

it would be interesting to find out what % of accidents with fatal and no fatal accidents contributed to SPEED. and no poor obs, bad judgment or lack of road experience.

10. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

A quick google comes up with How do accidents happen? - Telegraph

But illegal speeding – when drivers exceed the posted limit – accounts for only 13.9 per cent of fatal accidents.

11. r1monkey

r1monkey Active Member

if you are doing 20mph for a long period of time you will not be concentrating on the road and its surroundings ,especially if it is a long road with no kids on it.
    i also think that speed humps are more dangerous than good , as nobody is looking for kids playing in the street because they are too busy trying to line their car up with the bump .

12. fez.57

fez.57 Well-Known Member

Would be happy to see it on quite a few roads but I think a little common sense has to be used as to where to apply it and where not. Any roads that pass a school / playarea should be 20 in my opinion

I know many places near school have 20mph limits during school time then go back up when school finishes

#12 fez.57, Apr 2, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  13. Yorkshire Tyke

Yorkshire Tyke Elite Member

Totally agree with 20mph past a school. Schools need to teach better road safety too. There's some right silly little twats dodging between traffic on foot and on push bikes who almost deserve a 'little bump'. Some areas though a 20mph is just impractical and unnescesary

• Like Like x 1
  14. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

My last two bikes have been seriously unhappy at 20 mph through my village. It finds the gap between comfy ratios perfectly on my Blade and I won't even talk about the Italian pogo stick.

I think the best thing would be to fit all our bikes with pit lane limiters. Imagine how that would piss off the residents whilst we were adhering to the letter of the law...

15. Ratser

Ratser Well-Known Member

20mph ? Be as well using a push bike, which is probably what they want you to do.
    But all in I am not totally against it in built up areas.

Other roads though should have speed limits increased, especially motorways and some country roads.

As an aside,talking about schools, near our kids school there were some youths firing up and down the pavements and roads on MX bikes.
    Twats.

16. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Another thought on the slow past schools point, and it is extremely necessary, a no brainer in fact, the bike gives me an almost Transit high outlook and view that should make all concerned safer, if it wasn't for all the abandoned Colt Shoguns half on, half off the pavements on blind bends, crossing zig zags, in fact anywhere their monster truck tyres can mount, so that the stressed out 'why should the troubles of owning children happen to me and only me' occupants can dump their little monsters into somebody else's lap for the day with the minimum amount of walking to the front door.

Couple that with most ten year olds death wish of crossing the road with their iPods turned up full, texting while walking or (and I've never really understood this one) moving in a group as one multi legged creature but still screaming at each other at the tops of their voices, and it would be safer for me to dismount and push the bike passed the village school during term time.

And breathe.......

• Like Like x 2
  17. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Would expect the government to sneak it in via an indirect method. The same way as they have slowed down single carriage A roads in the country by restricting lorries to 40mph in NSL areas. That may also the reason a lot of the roads have stayed NSL rather than being changed to 50 as it would allow heavy traffic to go faster.

18. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

Unfortunately the likes of campaign groups like BRAKE all believe, and are very politically clever in getting the message across that speed kills.

Its does not, never has and never will.

Inappropriate use of speed kills, just like inappropriate use of a gun does. Otherwise every racing driver in this world would be dead and every gun owner would be on the rampage.

Responsible vehicle drivers/riders know this and drive accordingly to the conditions/circumstances.

The only things that will improve road safety without going to a totally automated driving system, is better road design and better educated drivers/riders.

The current situation is laughable, the driving test is not fit for purpose, and most ADIs do not teach people specifically how to drive, but teach them how to pass a system. So when a candidate passes a driving/riding test, they are at a minimum standard with very few skills and minimal experience, and certainly not trained in a variety of situations that they will face over a short period of time as they start to drive.

The whole system needs review, the notion that you pass your test at 17 then do not require any further monitoring until you reapply for a license at 70 is farcical. Police have now become ticket issuers in most situations rather than educators, quality traffic policing has been replaced by electronic speed monitoring, which only notes speed and no other driving offences and so on.

So 20mph means that when an inattentive driver hits someone/thing they just do it slower than at say 30mph, it not have any effect on driving standards. And what we will see is ever more over zealous policing of this limit rather than tackling the root cause of poor driving attitudes and standards. If this is enforced it will alienate the general public even further away from the Police Service.

This is what happens when you let the lunatics run the asylum.

• Like Like x 7
  19. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

I would hope most of us agree with the above. i know i do if you have not guessed it already

• Like Like x 1
  20. Slow and fast

Slow and fast New Member

I don't see how 20 mph speed limit is going to stop idiots who speed past schools, parks and hospital, it will slow down the sensible of course, but a blanket speed cut of 20 mph isn't going to help or make things better.