4 lucky teaspoons...

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by edderby, Sep 22, 2013.

1. edderby

edderby Active Member

Went for a ride the winding route to Market Rasen today. Stopped at Tesco there to get some fuel and some food. Whilst eating the sandwich I decided to pop up to the Humber Bridge (I like going there - sad, I know!). Anyway, fuel light wasn't on, so I decided to top up there on the way back. Big mistake...
    On the way back I realised I wasn't going to make it so I slowed down to about 50 and even turned the engine off and held the clutch in to coast down hills.
    By the time I got back the "0.8" had been flashing for a few miles (i.e. 0.8 galls of the 0.8 gall reserve had been used...).
    I filled up back at Tesco and it took 17.68 litres according to the receipt. I just checked the handbook and the fuel capacity is 17.7 litres, so I had 0.02 litres left in the tank - which according to Wickipedia is 4 teaspoons worth...

• Like Like x 10
  2. glynn

glynn Member

Good going. I've only ever run out of fuel once on a bike and i was miles away from a petrol station. Had a few times where i've had light on for a while.
    You certainly were lucky

3. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Did it once in the car and I swear my ring piece was sucking the seat up the last few miles. I saw a BP station just off the slip of the dual carriageway and the engine coughed just as I took the slip road.

Never again.

4. edderby

edderby Active Member

Thanks for saying I was lucky Glynn - that's looking at the bright side - at the time I was telling myself (not very politely) that I was a complete idiot for having got myself into such a situation!

5. glynn

glynn Member

It is one of lifes little learning points, i always fill up between 100 -110 miles that way i know i'm not going to run out anymore and i have about another 15 miles in reserve if needs be.

6. Island Rider

Island Rider New Member

Shame bikes dont have fuel gauges as standard...:mad:

7. BoroRich

BoroRich Elite Member

I'm a proper fanny for sticking fuel in the bike. I doubt my tank ever ends up 3/4 empty. Same with going for a piss. Every chance I get :D

• Like Like x 1
  8. Carl

Carl Well-Known Member

So assuming we are happy to run with 4 tea spoons left, how many miles at 50 and coasting did you get from when the reserve light came on?

9. madmac

madmac Well-Known Member

Always shake the drips from the nozzle when you fill up - you never know when you'll need them! :D

• Like Like x 2
  10. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Only shake it twice though. Anything more is a bit suspicious.

• Like Like x 3
  11. sinewave

sinewave God Like

Till ya get in ya late forties then the old waterworks start to fade and Piss's take longer and the shakin' gets tedious!

........................so I'm told anyways! :rolleyes:

12. just_me _and _me _bike

so how many litres / miles do ya ger when the light comes on, anyone ever tested it??

On me old R6 i managed 25 miles with the light showing before i bottled it n filled up, not bad i thought :)

13. edderby

edderby Active Member

I got about 45 miles with the light on, at a guess. I didn't start slowing down until it had got to showing 0.4 gall used up (out of the 0.8). It was showing about 67mpg on the instantaneous mpg read-out, a bit less going up hill and zero going down hill (as engine was off). I don't recommend that anyone else tries this out, but it was a useful exercise in that it shows that the fuel read-out is spot-on - when it says that you've used up the 0.8 reserve, then you really have - not like my car that says zero range when it's got about 5 litres left.

14. Barney1

Barney1 Guest

0.8 reserve , on my 2012 blade I've had 1.8 , you've plenty of fuel left ,

But I've not had the balls to go much lower just in case ,

When light comes on I get about 30 miles ish before it reads 1.4/1.6 ,

So 45 very good ,

15. edderby

edderby Active Member

I think that Honda must have revised the read-outs for the 2012 model - yours has an all new, all digital dashboard. I suspect that the reserve read-out on your (much newer than my '08) bike is in litres, rather than gallons. (Hand book for mine says that fuel tank capacity is 17.7 litres, and that the reserve countdown is measured in imperial gallons and that the reserve is 0.8 imperial gallons). If I could get my "elderly" 2008 bike to show "1.8" on it's reserve, then it would mean that I have magical tardis-like 21.2 litre tank (4.5 litres more than Honda claim)! I just wish that this was the case...

So, I would advise that owners of 2008-2011 models take note of what I wrote, but that owners of other model years should ignore it.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Barney1

Barney1 Guest

Sorry my mistake , long hours should of read post properly ,

I thought you had 2012 model , sorry again ,