A few more days in London

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by kpone, Mar 11, 2013.

1. megawatt

megawatt Well-Known Member

Any sort of mask would help.

2. lambeth longshanks

lambeth longshanks Active Member

Yup. Seems like a good look. Though in this forum we refer to it as a David these days. And he's at least twice as hard as Vinnie ever dreamed of being.

3. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

If you mean Freedom, he's even meaner today. His day's not got well and he was running out of rude words when he text me earlier, bless him.

4. lambeth longshanks

I mean Freedom. Look at him wrong and he'll duff you up. Swear down, bruv.

5. travellingkiwi

travellingkiwi Active Member

Take a walk up to Chinatown. Lots of places to eat, al-la-carte or all you can eat. Not many good pubs around there, but the Imperial is OK and usually has a couple of decent Ales on tap.

• Like Like x 1
  6. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

I'd be more afraid of upsetting Ling.

7. lambeth longshanks

Just thought about a couple of other things to do. If weather's nice a mooch from Tower Bridge to London Eye is lovely. You'll be on the south side of the river. Which is the correct side. You'll pass/see Tower of London (and you may see the bridge open which is gucci) and be able to say 'see the Tower? Lambeth's dad did part of his National Service there' (they used to have Royal Fusiliers there. Not sure about now), the Greater London Assembly building, HMS Belfast which is a proper lump of a ship, past Nancy's steps, the replica of the Golden Hinde which is flipping tiny (this replica did 2 laps of the world. The original did 1 lap but with a whip staff rudder), the ruins of Winchester Palace, the replica of the Globe, the once wobbly (beautiful dampers) Millenium Footbridge with views of St Paul's, The Tate Modern, the piers of old Blackfriars Bridge, the Oxo Tower, the South Bank centre (with a lovely roof garden built by St Mungo's homeless charity), Hungerford railway bridge with a couple of Millenium footbridges alongside to take you to the Strand and Covent Garden, the London Eye.

Having checked the PLA website and aimed off for GMT I have walked from Waterloo to the Golden Hinde on the 'beach'. You need to choose your footwear and company. It gives an outstanding view of London from low down. And excellent ducks and drakes opportunities with the worn down old roof tiles. By the Power of Greyskull my son and I have larked about down there.

Do as long a river run as poss on one of the Thames Clippers big Cats. The speed restrictions come off below Tower Bridge and 30 knots with the boat squatting beneath you on the open deck at the back feels glorious.

The Shard has a viewing platform now. Think you have to book ahead.

• Like Like x 2
  8. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Great list there shanks. Wasn't the tower a stockade in the years of National service....?

The Hinds first circumnavigation was, of course, with a Devonian in command. The legendary total shit, but Devonian total shit of course.

I will definitely be adding some of these to my list. Belfast is a must as is the Globe. Maybe not the tall things though, I have an issue with heights.

9. Freedom of choice

Freedom of choice Elite Member

Here's an interesting one for you Ken.

Churchill War Rooms, on the corner of King Charles Street and Horse Guards Road.

I attended a dinner there last night and apart from the food I was well impressed with the whole place. If you have any interest in Churchill or the last big ruck we had with the Germans you will love it. I could have spent all night just wandering around reading and taking it all in, on a normal day they have guided tours etc.

I was thinking it would be a good venue for my next work 'Winter Warmer' but on reflection I doubt my CEO would agree, in the same way that he didn’t appreciate my comment after pouring copious amounts of 'local ale' down his neck one evening until he said 'I’ve had enough, I should go home' and I said '' that’s what happens when you take on a load of Spitfire's' He looked puzzled until I pointed out the name on the beer pump.

Churchill War Rooms | Imperial War Museums

• Like Like x 1
  10. Givover

Givover God Like

It would be a close thing Freedom you or Michael Winner ,who has had the most dinners .;)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Freedom of choice

Freedom of choice Elite Member

Never mind the dinners; if I had eaten some of the gorgeous women he has dated I would go to my grave a very happy man.

• Like Like x 1
  12. lambeth longshanks

Missed this, Ken.

Don't know if it was a stockade. Pass. I think it was/is their regimental HQ. There was a tiny Fusiliers museum when I last went in (to see a Mary Rose longbow...-sigh-...now that's a piece of kit that rewrote history) which was pretty rubbish.

Was old Drakesy a wrong un? Did he have issues and all that?

Belfast is great but you have to pay to get in despite it belonging to the Imperial War Group.

The Globe tour is expensive too (cheaper to attend a performance). The wood in it is lovely. They SAY that no nails were used in its construction. That it uses dowels throughout. Love a dowel.

And you have an issue with heights? Maybe pass on a cheeky little abseil off Tower Bridge or the Shard then.

13. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

I think the twins were locked up there when they deserted. Get yourself down to the Historic Dockyard in Portsmouth if you want to see Mary Rose stuff properly Alex. They have it stacked up against the walls there, there's so much of it. The ship itself is held upright like a cutaway model and you walk around its chamber on a glassed in walkway. As they're spraying it with preservative constantly, it looms out of the mist. Really quite spooky.

Sir Francis was not a particularly groovy dude, to be honest with you. Despite all the swash buckling, Johnny Foreigner bashing, two fingers to the world, English cad/hero stuff. Which is true and appeals greatly to my idiom, he was almost solely responsible for introducing the slave trade to Britain and made the majority of his fortune trading in flesh. I can't reconcile all else he achieved against that.

His house is groovy though. If you should get down here, its worth a wander, but the National Trust still play the slavery thing down to get bums on seats.

I'm being press ganged into the Eye and probably the shard too. Funny, but if I try and force them into doing something only I'd be comfy with, I'd get 'the look'. I'll do the high things but it will be through gritted teeth. The last time we went away as two couples we ended up on the roof of York Minster where I was regarded as harshening the buzz by not enjoying myself.

14. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Nandos ken... You can't beat nandos! Lol

On a serious note, some great points already raised but not mentioned you could go to IMAX on embankment, that's pretty cool, can't beat the natural and science museums and there are some lovely pubs and places to eat round there.

Where bouts you staying exactly, have a stroll along to the hinde as said, nice enough pub with decent views across river, but also check if borough market is on, great for a wonder and eating some fresh cooked stall food. Borough Market Seafood Restaurant |*The Wright Brothers is excellent and also set up a stall outside on market days. Theirs wraps are amazing!! Best £4.50 you will spend all weekend lol

Can also do vinopolis wine tour there - it's a bit pants but worth it if its pissing down and bored of the ale lol - it's also alcohol related but you can pretend your doing the girls a good turn ;)

Get up the shard, the views are incredible, haven't been yet but seen all the photos as my firm built it, it really is quite impressive and personally think its worth the £25 each.

Quite a bit to do in London bridge area (inc dungeon as Si said) and one of my fav areas as a south side boy... Shad Thames is a nice place with a few bars etc, or if you go tower bridge side have a wonder down st katherine docks for a look at the boats and swanky flats. Cool pub if your thirsty The Dickens Inn - St Katherine Docks old spice warehouse, not been in ages but its ok for a drink and rest up ;)

Also the cable car (quite dear also) runs over from the dome to near the excell on docklands...

Onviously west end and city to do, if you head to St. Paul's area there are plenty of places to go but let me know as there are some brilliant tucked away city pubs etc

You'll have a blast and plenty of people to give you some pointers!!

Might even pop along and buy you a pint sir.

#34 Jimbo Vills, Mar 23, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  15. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Cheers Jimbo some brilliant pointers here. I'm staying in the Tate Modern Premier. Jeanette saw the vinopolis tour and is straining at the leash a bit. I'm trying to work a few meets ups into the intinery without pissing off my travelling companions. But they mentioned 'musical theatre' and I would rather put red hot needles in my eyes so hopefully I'll get some Ken time during dodging that.

16. lambeth longshanks

Just thought of another one. Get off at St James pk tube and walk through St James pk going over the bridge. Good view of Buck House and don't forget to turn around for the view of Horse Guards and the London Eye. Marlborough House and St James Palace on the right and don't forget to look at the gas lamps with the ships on the top representing the British line of battle at Trafalgar. Give brief pause for thought of the formation weeping when Diana died. Then you're on The Mall with Admiralty Arch behind with its unequal number of floors either side of the arch. There's a Royal Marines memorial beside it. Chip into Green Park. Bat through there. Underpass to Hyde Park beside D o Wellington's gaff (No. 1 London is its address. Good museum according to my son). Crack on through the park, over/round Serpentine (through which pass the Tyburn {two burns - two rivers} and Bosh! you're in Queensway. Lovely walk. And with luck you'll see the Speke memorial too. A lovely green walk in a busy city.

• Like Like x 1
  17. lambeth longshanks

Didn't realise Drake did that. I'd love to see his house.

18. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Buckland Abbey, just outside Plymouth. He's still a hero around here and 500 years ago life was completely different to now with, to us, totally alien attitudes, but I think there are some things that I'd prefer to distance myself. It's personal but there you go. My mother's family is descended from Edward Colston. Google that bastard. I'm happy to say we never benefited from the connection.

19. lambeth longshanks

Buckland Abbey. As in the place that makes strong alcohol to be quaffed with slavering relish north of the border?

20. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

No that's Buckfast Abbey mate. That's about 10 miles from me in Buckfastleigh. Or as my friends north of the border, the tormentors of the Taliban of teetotalism call it, Lourdes.

• Like Like x 1