A Rookie's View... 2013 Season Thoughts.

Discussion in 'Racing & Bike Sport' started by CastrolCraig, Dec 2, 2013.

1. CastrolCraig

CastrolCraig Active Member

So, as many of you know, I started racing this year.

It started at Snetterton way back in March, with my Trusty '07 Blade SemiSBK.

Trned up, only ever did half a day there, in the cold, rocked up Thursday dinner, set up, Friday Arrives, wow, serious fog, couldn't see 2 feet in front of you, apart from 2 practice race starts we get no running.

Saturday arrives, biblical Rain, I mean proper noah's ark stuff, we get one 20 minute timed practice (quali) but the first 2 laps are behind the safety car, its that wet the safety car driver cant even keep it in a straight line! I qualify 17th of 28, 4th rookie, on oldest bike on grid, Sunday Arrives and lo & behold, we get the full set, 3 inches of snow, meeting cancelled. Bugger!

One thing was apparent though, the poor old blade was completely outclassed, with 152bhp and no electronics it was woefully underpowered compared to the BMW's & ZX10R's. I got home worried for my prospects of enjoying racing and took the decision to sell, and change class.

That turned out to be the best thing ive done in a long time, I miss the old blade immensely, however I bought a 1996 ZX7R and turned it into a Modern Classic Superbike contender, I missed round 2 of the Hottrax season (Oulton) As I was building the bike though.

So Take 2, I rock up at Anglesey, The coastal variant, the paint was still tacky on the bodywork it was that tight to get it built intime, I managed to get half a setup on the bike on the Friday and come Saturday qualify 8th, 3rd SBK, happy with that, Saturday Dinner, My first ever race, Great battle and come away With 2nd place in SBK Class! So So Chuffed, 2nd race (1st on sunday) and a Third....awesome!!!!

Race 3 was probably the most fun you could have legally, myself and Jim Parish (03Zx636RR) Had a massive battle for p3, changing hands 18 times in eight laps, with jim making a good block pass down into the corkscrew on the last lap!

Next Up Was Donington, another circuit ive never ridden, one day meeting, no test day, straight into it, got a couple of top 5 places, im now upto third in the championship despite missing a round!

Then came cadwell, my home circuit, hopes were high, id done a 1.40 on a superstocker 200bhp BMW and a 1'41.9 on the old blade (gps timed) as a trackday numpty, so was happy thinking I could at least match those times, however as the dyno showed, I had 106bhp at that round, compared to average 125/130 in class, I rode my heart out, and it finally showed the limitations of the bike, and myself. I finished 5th in class in all three races, with three non hottrax wildcards taking the podium in each race, so it would have been a net P2 in all races really, I did a 1.44 on a zx7r with standard zx10r suspension, used tyres and 106bhp. Until recently I looked at that as a failure, its only now the season finished and I look back and realise it wasn't bad at all!

Then onto Pembrey, another circuit id never seen, glorious weather, brilliant brilliant circuit, real mans stuff, turn one is brilliant, right the way down the box, flat in fifth down to first, bucking & weaving and backing in like a moto2 rider. Qualified P3 in class, and came away with 2x4th and a third, closer to the outright race winners than ever before, im feeling this now.

Then Onto Brands Hatch Indy, a circuit I really never seen the point in, test day was horrible really nasty wet, pointless trying to do anything in that, got 1 session in before I called it a day.

Qualified p4 in class, race one was really awkward, we were sat in the lower paddock watching the races before ours and its drying out rapidly, but still damp, as they call first call for our race I decide to fit a slick rear tyre, and keep the wet front, tip toeing around for three laps to get a feel, on lap 4 I start to get into it, on lap 8 I pass 4 riders in the first half a lap, then another into Clearways, but I run wide, try to square the corner off but the fornt washes out, and im on my arse. Bollocks.

I sit and watch my rival for P3 in the champs, Jim, Finish P2 in class and draw level with me. Races 2 & Three were a disaster, with a smashed up, gaffer taped up bike I finish both but well off the pace and in real pain, only later the next week did I learn id bust three ribs and lightly fractured my right collarbone. I lose P3 in standings to Jim by 18 points with one round left.

So, last round, Mallory, a circuit I know and my times are OK around, however on the Monday we get called to say Mallory Park Motorsport LTD have gone into liquidation and we wont be racing, and on the weds we get the call to say its been switched (very quickly) To Pembrey.

We rock up, had a great round, with 2xP4 (including seeing wedgiewolves send himself to the moon), beat Jim in both races but still lost P3 In standings by 6 points.

All in all, ive had a blast, a real good learning year, made some fantastic mates and have well and truly got the bug, the ZX7R is already in bits, ive managed to aquire an Ohlins shock and some Ohlins Springs & Oil for front forks, im looking for a brembo and hopefully the engine is being refreshed to get it back to what it should be in the first place.

Id like to thank all those from this very forum that helped me this year, by way of sponsorship or advice, hopefully I did you guys, and the forum, proud.

PS, anyone wanting to sponsor again in 2014, would be greatly appreciated, I may even get to sample brand new tyres for the first time ever lol.

Pembrey, Team Green!

[​IMG]

Donington, on the pipe!

[​IMG]

She Looked Good Before The Crash!

[​IMG]

Oops!

[​IMG]

Fooooook.

[​IMG]

Class Of 2013!

[​IMG]

Thanks For Reading!

• Like Like x 4
  2. robinh73

robinh73 Well-Known Member

I am glad you have enjoyed your first year of racing. I can report the same thing really, best thing I have ever done. The 1000s are a tough class to be competitive in for sure, the costs are higher and the quality of rider is high. Having said that, the Formula 600 class has some epic riders at the front of the grid, but there is a much better spread of talent, so you are always guaranteed a race with somebody. It is just such a shame that winter gets in the way of the fun, but at least I start next year without my orange bib and a new clubman licence. Roll on 2014 and good luck out there. Let me know if you are at Anglesey again next year and I shall rock up to give some support.

3. CastrolCraig

Yup, same, numpty bib has gone, ill be at Anglesey ad pembrey again, full season with Hottrax again

4. robinh73

Nice one, if I am not racing, I will try to catch up with you at Anglesey. How have you found it doing a full series? I have just stuck to doing a couple of clubs that race at localish circuits.

5. CastrolCraig

Loved the full season, financially its hard, but using scrubs and because I do all the work on the bike myself I managed to do it on just short of 4k.

The Guy who won the championship spent nigh on 13k.......

6. robinh73

It is not something to enter into lightly, that's for sure. I am not going to think about what I spent, but it isn't hopefully a true reflection, as I did have 2 big offs and then bought a new bike. That aside though, I reckon that it would be about £3,500-4,000 roughly without the "extras".
    The top running guys as you say are spending big bucks. we had a guy turn up in June to do one meet with us. he normally races in British Supersports, but does the odd round here and there to get track time in. He was on a gsxr 600, 142hp, built at a cost of about £28,000 and his annual budget was £100,000. Needless to say he won. Twat.

• Like Like x 1
  7. CastrolCraig

142 from a gsxr 600? Be a new world record that! The jap open class supersports bikes are only pushing 138... Poor old gsxr's are awful lol (one of my sponsors make crescent look shite at Suzuki tuning )

8. robinh73

Allegedly it was 142. I was surprised at that, but that was the figure going around the paddock. Either way, his budget was insane, but he could ride the thing though. Not my choice of bike, but it seemed to suit him.

9. wedgiewolves#223

wedgiewolves#223 God Like

Didn't know this was you Craig lol can't wait for next year

10. Nutty Tart

Nutty Tart Well-Known Member

That was great reading CC ..... good luck for next season [​IMG]

11. just_me _and _me _bike

Ooohh wudnt mind riding upto Anglesey n come watch the racing :) n supporting fellow forum members :D

12. robinh73

If you do fancy a day watching it all go on, let me know and I can get you a ticket for Anglesey. Should be getting all the dates through fairly soon, so will post them up on here. Always good to have support, does actually make a big difference.

• Like Like x 2
  13. just_me _and _me _bike

Cheers dude yep am oop for that n its a lovely ride up via the Llanberis pass for n i know a lovely b&b overlooking the menai straights :)

Ill keep me eye out for the race dates :)

14. robinh73

Nice one, will keep you posted on things. Can't wait for the season to start now, just a shame it is probably 4 months to go! :mad: