ABS Removal-Honda 1k SP 2014 How To

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by Gligoric, Feb 28, 2016.

1. ColinBR

ColinBR God Like

I upgraded to brembo callipers and master cylinder.

Zero issues since and wished I'd done it sooner

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

Cheers Dave.....I know it weighs heavy I remember seeing a photo of it all that you posted up :eek: so I'd want it removing. Just needed a rough idea of labour time so they cant have my pants down!
    I had a conversation at the dealers the other week with Honda's version of Alan Partridge regarding the new Blade & costs of bleeding the new abs system v the old system....it would have probably been less painful drilling a hole in my head :confused:
    I think he coughed to it being about 3 hrs labour for the new one!

3. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

Thanks for that....I'll be keeping mine a few more years so I'll look at that upgrade if I get it ripped out.

4. ColinBR

ColinBR God Like

In all honesty a master cylinder and brake lines with the standard callipers is more than enough. I'd put the cash for the callipers elsewhere like a quick shifter

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Dave dunlop

Dave dunlop Elite Member

Your welcome, agree with Colin on the OE callipers, I opted to change mine out to the Brembo GP4's RCS MC and Brembo T Drives.... mega setup but real overkill for road use, just stick with your OE callipers with some new lines and your be sorted:D can't stand all that main stealer bullshit! Half the time they haven't a clue! Some of the stuff I've seen come out of my dealers is hideous!!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Unity

Unity Active Member

Why do you guys buy an ABS bike if you don't want ABS? I'm curious what is your reason for removing the ABS? Surely it can help you stop quicker in an emergency?

I've never had my front wheel lock on a superbike on tar, but have had the rear lock many times. I release then reapply but I'm sure an ABS system could do it faster and more effectively than me.

I've always been afraid of the front locking up under heavy braking, expecislly on damp/wet roads. But its never happened. I imagine ABS would remove some stress about that.

#46 Unity, Apr 8, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

I bought mine, not realising there was a fault with the Honda abs system, I guess the others who've removed it were the same. Having the brake lever come fully back & nothing happen is pretty unpleasant...it's happened 5 times now in 3 years. 2 of which has occurred in the last 2 wks & the cost of having the system bleed is expensive. There's a big thread on here on the issue somewhere.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Unity

Unity Active Member

Wow Lozy, that's pathetic that Honda didn't get it right or at least recall the bikes and remove the ABS for you. You're lucky to still be here!

I've only heard got things about Honda ABS until now.

I would do the same.

9. stupot

stupot Active Member

Without trawling through the pages, my mate has got a 16plate sp which he bought with 1000 miles in the click, we were out this morning and he must of had a moment as he didn't look happy.
    He isn't a person who mods bikes to much apart from an end can.

Is it possible to drain the system the unplug a power feed to the abs system. Then just fit a normal brake line set up
    I presume the master cylinder is a normal one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. FirebladeRR

FirebladeRR Active Member

Panicking a bit as just cut the wires as above picture but wiring diagram says the orange And green wire goes to instrument cluster and the orange And black goes to a fuse then ignition switch? Did I mess up?

11. kevin nichol

kevin nichol Active Member

I am in the process of removing all the ABS Components from my 2015 SP. I've removed all the mechanical components, but struggling with removing or separating the ABS harness from the main harness. Any help on correct way to complete this would be much appreciated.

12. mgoode180566

mgoode180566 Active Member

Did you get it sorted ?

13. kevin nichol

kevin nichol Active Member

Yes thanks I think so. Cheers

14. mark higginson

mark higginson New Member

hi mate how did you do this

15. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Don't expect an answer. The 'shiny one' has burnt out and hasn't been on for a couple of years.

16. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

I'm in touch with Graeme but he might delete me if I mention ABS to him lol....
    Might be better pm'ing ColinBR or Dave Dunlop

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

So pulling the orange/green wire out of the plug on the clock side and connecting it to ground hasn’t killed the light? That’s weird as its worked for others, although for some it never comes on and others it comes on for the first 20 or 30 yards

18. mark higginson

mark higginson New Member

Done it today mate and yes NO light comes for about 2 secs then off. Cheers mate

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. paul1966

paul1966 Active Member

later bikes come with abs full stop. ( and the earlier Honda is bad) . and if youve ever had them fail you would understand either removal or bye bye bike

20. Xrayhonda

Xrayhonda New Member

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone that contributed to this post.:)

ABS removal pic 1.jpg

• Like Like x 3