ABS vs non-ABS

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by sauluk, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Dave V

Dave V Elite Member

Sorry mate, that's nonsense.

Ride the bike and learn to adjust to the conditions- did no one ride a bike in poor conditions before abs was invented?

For the record, the miles I've referred to are all year round including a tour of Scotland flat out in the pissing rain, which plenty on here will vouch for.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Dave V

Dave V Elite Member

Btw, my post isn't intended to suggest abs is a waste of time or indeed those that choose it can't ride- just that those that don't ain't necessarily fair weather riders.

If you rely on abs to ride rather than choose the option as a safety net, IMO your clearly doing something wrong.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Don't think any of us had abs on the John o groats run ;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dave V

Dave V Elite Member

Not unless abs is an acumen for need to change ya pants!

• Like Like x 2
  5. HRCTrev09

HRCTrev09 Well-Known Member

He did coz I saw'm! :D coz I was there ;)

• Like Like x 1
  6. ShinySideUp

ShinySideUp Elite Member

Trev, u tried to go to John o groats with them! :)

7. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

There's one thing I know, If the model had been Honda CRV, instead of Honda CBR and drivers were suffering brake pedals hitting the floor, and cars failing to stop, then this would have made front page news and something would have been done.

But when the problem is down to a model that sells in the hundreds a year rather than the thousands, then we have no voice and its been quietly swept under the carpet and the great thing for Honda, is if a biker runs into the back of something or overshoots a bend, then as usual it's nice and easy to call it rider error.

Coupled with a biking press thats running scared of upsetting the hand that feeds it, then its game set and match to the big H.

8. HRCTrev09

I know Craig I was like an excited pup! :rolleyes: Bless him Al had to retrieve me :D

9. HRCTrev09

Your spot on there Craig!
    It is a real shame for the guys that have the abs!!... As they are lumbered through no fault of there own! The mags are still saying if you go for a Blade make sure it has the excellent c-abs! But the journo's are non the wiser either! And of course the guy's on here are going to defend their bike it's only natural!
    If it were me I would either by pass the system or rip the fcukin lot out!, servos etc (If possible) and stick braided lines on with a set of SBS Excel pads like I have just now (my brakes are outstanding) now I donno if it's a matter of IF or WHEN but if there's a likelihood of a problem then I would error on the side of caution even if it cost to do so! I wouldn't think it would cost anymore than getting the system bled anyhow!

10. Millsyboy

Millsyboy New Member

I recon ABS is going to be standard on all new bikes soon. So in 5-10yrs time, I may actually own a 2nd hand ABS bike!!

11. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

"The European Commission passed legislation in 2012 that made the fitment with ABS for all new motorcycles above 125cc to be mandatory from 1 January 2016."

Anti-lock braking system for motorcycles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

12. HRCTrev09

As long it a Bosch system you'll be fine mate and not Honda's C-ABS abomination!

13. JM1

JM1 Active Member

You don't need to reckon - it's a fact that new bikes will soon have to be equipped with ABS.

14. Millsyboy

Millsyboy New Member

Thanks for link, I didnt realise it will be law soon.
    Suppose it makes sense for safety sake. I am sure manufacturers will be designing the best/lightest ABS kits right now.

15. travellingkiwi

travellingkiwi Active Member

16. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Depends if people do their research ;). Personally I wouldn't touch a Honda ABS bike at the moment.

17. Rukka

Rukka New Member

I can see the reluctance. Personally, this is my first Blade and my first ABS. I've had no issues and actually think the brakes are pretty good and trust them 100%. Would I buy another one tomorrow???? I really don't know.

Bleeding and changing lines for braided looks a pain in the ass (done loads of non ABS bikes) but I'm not scared of this system one I understand it. I'll quite happily bleed mine over winter and change the lines - it's just going to,take more time

18. amnesia

amnesia New Member

A picture is worth a thousand words!

Here's my blade's C-ABS brakes in operation. I once flew through a busy intersection in rush hour traffic while desperately trying to find my rear brake pedal.

Would you want to take a chance that your bike did this?: Honda CBR 1000RR C ABS Brake Failure - YouTube

Believe me, once you've experienced this problem, your riding will never be the same. You will forever be "testing" your front brake lever as you ride, just to make sure that it actually works. In traffic, you'll instinctively stop earlier than you need to - just in case you need a "second chance". If you try to complain, you will likely spend more time fighting with Honda than actually riding. Any dealership who claims to know anything about this problem (other than the fact that lots of customers have it, and it can't be fixed) is simply full of it.

I understand why Honda refuses to admit to the problem, but can't for the life of me figure out why members of this forum would want to make excuses for them. "Pull brake lever only once then release", "Don't feather", "learn to brake differently", "change levers", "set levers further from grips", etc, etc. No offence, but what a load of crap.

You pull the lever and the bike stops - PERIOD. This sequence should happen EXACTLY the same, ALWAYS. Anything else is simply unacceptable (and incredibly dangerous). In day-to-day riding, you need to be able to accurately and consistently modulate you brakes just the same as you must be able to modulate your clutch.

Amnesia

• Like Like x 5
  19. PeteN

PeteN New Member

hello.... this is a long time ago now... but i just bought a 2010 ABS Blade.... it scared the living b'jeezus out of me on the track.... but it had OE pads and i'm guessing OE fluid.... i feel reluctant to chop it out without trying alternatives.... could you tell me which bit you thought fixed your issue?... could it really have been the ECU?... my first step is to replace the fluid.... after that... im not sure... many thanks for your help

20. Slick

Slick Elite Member

All the fixes were unfortunately temporary, it always comes back, could be the next ride or even a few months. Either way it only a matter of time when it catches you out and you wont always have the option of a run off etc. You won't enjoy the bike with that niggling feeling it may fail the next time you pull the lever, I threw a tonne of cash and alot of time trying to resolve this, do your self a favour and just pull the fuse or remove completely, the quicker you learn not to rely on ABS anymore the better.

• Agree Agree x 3