Add fuel gauge to CBR1000RR 2004 petrol tank?

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by Unity, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Unity

Unity Active Member

Is there any possible mod to achieve this on CBR1000RR 2004?

My tank is going to be welded tomorrow to fix a leak...

I'm guessing it's not feasible.
    But a hack like adding one of these would be cool
    https://www.sparkfun.com/products/8681
    https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10221

I see even the later model blades don't come with a gauge on their tanks.
    They calculate fuel consumed.

Just posting this for sh*ts and giggles.

2. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

I just leave my odometer set on 'trip' and reset after each fill. We know we'll get around 140 mile (08 - 11 model).

However, if you want to go retro, while the tank's getting welded, put a divider in it to create a 'reserve' and then fit a small fuel tap to the left of the tank like us REAL riders used to have to put up with!!:cool::cool::cool:

3. Jez

Jez Senior Member

Hi, I must admit my mate had a VFR with a fuel gauge and I thought why have they not fitted one to all the bikes, all honda cars have them so why when you buy top of the range you have no fuel gauge

4. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Yes, of course. I had a brand new '84 VF 750 and that had the gauge. My recent CBR250R also had one. That must raise the question: if Honda can put one on a 250, why not on the bigger stuff? Still, not much room for error by using the trip meter.

5. Jez

Jez Senior Member

If you bought a top of the range car and was told to use a trip meter for your fuel and then told you have a max range of 140 miles, people would think you are taking the P1$$

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Unity

Unity Active Member

BTW the datasheet of the first item says it can only be used in non-corrosive liquids.

@nigelrb thanks mate, yes the odometer trick seems to be common, I'll do that. Because at the moment I've just been left wondering and been at the mercy of the empty light.

7. Unity

Unity Active Member

Just incase you want to see something fugly

A kit with a piece of PVC pipe!
    So you just have to drill 2 holes in your tank.
    The added benefit is that when you brake and accelerate the fuel probably moves backwards or forwards in the tube.
    [​IMG]
    https://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/diy-gas-tank-fuel-sight-gauge-kit-clear.html

What's scarier is all of the 5 star reviews.

For sh1ts

I'd probably like to do something similar to this, but much smaller and simpler.
    The reason I like this method is that it uses a pressure sensor which you can connect to the fuel outlet of the petrol tank, effectively measuring the pressure of the petrol at the bottom of the tank.

It's interesting that his reading was fluctuating between 0.4 and 0 and 0.2 liters of petrol. Perhaps that's the error range, his test bottle is probably too small.

#7 Unity, Feb 17, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  8. Selmer50mark

Selmer50mark God Like

Trip meter for me , less to go wrong . Still like the old tap method with a reserve

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Bloody Hell, Unity.

Next up you'll be wanting to make a contraption for testing oil viscosity at a range of temperatures; a sensor on the friggin' clutch plates so you'll know when they're worn, sensors at the base of your screen to warn of splattered bugs, and then to top it all off, you'll convert your double bubble or what the hell else you've got on that heavyweight Blade with a welded petrol tank, you'll convert that screen to a bloody touch screen so you can bring up You Tube videos of your next damn project while you ride. :D:D:D:D:D

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. Unity

Unity Active Member

@nigelrb it's funny you mention it :) I was thinking a more computerized capability would be cool. I was thinking of how Tesla's have a tablet and thought that's pretty cool.
    Only problem is I don't really find time to do much while riding other than just ride.
    When I used to have a GPS mounted on the bike, even just looking at the GPS from time to time was quite demanding.

• Funny Funny x 1