Advice Needed - Honda NSR

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by nigelrb, Jun 13, 2018.

1. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Hi there.

Anyone on the forum ever owned a Honda NSR 250 or 400?

I would like to acquire one of these great relics of Honda history, but being unfamiliar with the models, I seek any guidance as to pitfalls or points to be wary of.

Perhaps most importantly, is there a definite indicator to show that the bike is authentic and not a mock-up? In the meantime, I'll do my own research. Cheers!

2. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

The wife has Italian import 125 NSR Urban Tiger. She spoke with Honda UK who I believe helped her with Honda Italy to find out about it and to confirm the chassis number as it was 1 digit wrong on the v5.

3. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Wow! What a little gem that would be. Amazing range of 'hidden' machinery on this forum.

Seems a similar case with the larger capacity NSs that very few were originally imported into UK. I am always wary of the 'barn find' that often turns out to be a wreck or a conversion from a like model solely as a profit-making exercise. Someone must have one of these things in their 'mancave'. Surely?

4. NS400R

NS400R Elite Member

I've owned an NS400R for years now and just returned from the TT on it. Lovely bikes.

As with any near 35 year old bike, there will be issues. I manufacture replacement rubber parts (inlet manifolds, chain sliders etc) and www.classicracereplicas.com is your source for just about everything else including 500 conversions.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Thanks. You've certainly got the right user name. PM on way.

6. derchef

derchef Well-Known Member

i owned and raced nsr125 , 250 and 400

• Like Like x 1
  7. NS400R

NS400R Elite Member

So we need pictures of your new purchase Nigel ;-)

8. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Fair enough. Most guys know that I never miss a photo opportunity.:)

However, it's being delivered from Doncaster around 3.00pm tomorrow (Fri).

I'll then do the OCD acceptance clean, the OCD fluids check and top-up, the OCD tyre pressures, and then take pics BEFORE I ride it - just in case I have a mishap so at least I'll have the memories!!:D

9. NS400R

NS400R Elite Member

I'm the NS forum fella. forum is so shite, we don't bother. Couldn't reply to your PM :-?

[​IMG]

TT2018

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  10. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Ah, nice pics. My heart is pumping. 'I'll be back.'

11. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Aw, alright:rolleyes::

NS 4.jpg

NS 3.jpg

NS 1.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  12. NS400R

NS400R Elite Member

Looking good. It'll be interesting to know what you make of it when you get it out.

13. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

As everyone knows who has had anything to do with high-performance two-strokes, they're a totally different game riding wise. Such a narrow power band. Sluggish all the way through to 6,000 rpm at which time you get a hint of something about to happen; it gets to 7,000 and you're thinking, 'hmm, this is okay,' then whoa, you're back in Blade territory! To ride properly they have to be kept on the boil, and that is the narrow band between 8,000 to 10, 000 rpm. Definitely not a town bike or load-'em-up' tourer in the @Mattie660 or @bradt style.

Only gave it a short blast - just in case there might have been some previous owner 'issues'. Only one was that he'd overfilled the oil tank and it was weeping onto the rear tyre:rolleyes:. Easy fix this morning. All in all, a nice bike to have, but not recommended as a daily ride.

14. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Caught part of a program on BT Sport yesterday and they were on about the 2 stroke 500cc days. They were saying about the powerband being really narrow, and also how nasty they could be.

Makes the modern Moto GP bikes seem civilised.

Was really good seeing some of the old clips like Sheene giving Roberts the Vs up :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. dainesefreak

dainesefreak Senior Member

I grew up on 2 strokes and still have a big soft spot for them.

Great bikes too learn to ride as they make you forward plan, scan traffic flows and build up observation skills, so that you can keep the things on the boil and not brake. They are the reason why I have my user modes setup with no or minimal engine braking. :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

@nigelrb

Saw these out locally the other day :)

Screenshot_2018-09-11-18-39-33-1.png Screenshot_2018-09-11-18-39-48-1.png Screenshot_2018-09-11-18-40-03-1.png

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Thanks for sharing those @Lozzy. They are super mint and I have no problem in saying they put mine to shame. The red/white SP version is decidedly rare; the white/silver I've never seen before, but the green tail usually signifies it's also an SP. 30 grand of great bikes there.