Advice on older 600cc for track bike

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by Singh1000RR, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Singh1000RR

Singh1000RR Active Member

Had my 1st track day experience courtesy of Ron Haslam school on the 600RR's and I am hooked. The day was awesome - even with the rain.

With this in mind I am now looking at getting a track day bike at the bottom end of the cost spectrum.

I'm looking to spend about a grand and buy an older 600cc bike - something like a 600 F Sport or GSXR SRAD. There seem to be plenty of road going models around that price that I could convert (slowly) to a track bike. I'm not to fussed about physical appearance as I will only track it.

So advice needed - which 600cc should I be looking at and what issues do I need to look for. I read the old steelie framed CBR600's are a good start - reliable but heavy; but the GSXR SRAD is slow up until 8000rpm then it goes bonkers. I've kind of narrowed it down to these two - but any other additions welcome.

2. Cbrjay

Cbrjay Well-Known Member

Personally I'd say 600rr

3. gixxerjim

gixxerjim Active Member

get a k series gsxr, far better bike than a srad and not much more money.

600rr would be my 1st choice but they are expensive now for the age of the machine

4. derchef

derchef Well-Known Member

yep , gsx-r k series ;)

5. fisher

fisher Active Member

I had a 2000 model R6, plenty quick enough, with masses of spares available, no idea how much they go for though,. don't discount the ZX6 either great bikes that sell for just over a grand.

Nice to see you got the bug mate, believe me, It wont stop with you buying a bike for a grand, lol

#5 fisher, Aug 26, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Muffking

Muffking God Like

I agree.
    My 1st track bike was a grand and came in track form. Sold it to get another Blade :D

7. Singh1000RR

Singh1000RR Active Member

I'm looking at a '99 R6 - but a friend has said they suffer from cylinder liner issues. However if I google '99 R6's generally the internet says the R6 is a reliable bike (didn't realise it was a 2 stroke).

As a previous owner were you aware of this issue??

8. fisher

fisher Active Member

they aint 2 stroke mate. if you search hard enough you'd find most bikes have issues. the R6 is a great track bike

I had mine for three years and never put a spanner on it, few years later a mate bought one. [ track bike ] he run it for 2 years with no issues

9. zxrob

zxrob Active Member

I've rode few 600cc track bikes
    zx6r
    r6
    600rr

They are all good

If I was in the market for another one 600rr is what I'd be looking at

Rob