Advice please: which shed for Fireblade?

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by lambeth longshanks, Jan 8, 2013.

1. lambeth longshanks

lambeth longshanks Active Member

Ahoy!

Recently moved house and my bike will be along soon. I have been told that an 8 x 6 shed will be fine for it and a couple of bits and bobs.

I'm after a shed which is -

a. Reasonably secure ie doors not hinged on the outside. Windows I can double up with perspex or something. I'll put a Squire padlock on it to match the one I've got for my Almax lV.

b. Reasonably priced.

c. sized so that I can push the bike in and out easily enough. I'm not chunky but I'm tall.

Thank you. All advice is much appreciated.

2. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

Look into those metal secure bike sheds they are solid and normaly have a roller door

3. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

When it comes to garages, bikes and sheds... A man should not compromise... ;)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  4. Garyb

Garyb Moderator.
    Staff Member

When considering a wooden shed, the first thing is its security.
    With most modern (wooden sheds) I've seen of late, I don't think they have actually seen a tree. Seriously you can shine a torch through the panels.
    Take into consideration the locks and extra security you may have to add to keep your pride and joy away from the theiving scum that walks this earth, I'd seriously consider some other options, there's a thread floating around here with a few good ideas, perhaps a good option to take a look *i too shall add if I find anything*
    I guess the up shot is you get what you pay for, but don't rush in do some research first.

5. MrB

MrB God Like

Make sure it has a concrete base as this can help with insurance and if it doesn't have any windows some insurance companies will then class it as a garage. You can also cement in a ground anchor to the concrete base for added security.

6. IcarusGreen

IcarusGreen Elite Member

7. MrB

MrB God Like

• Like Like x 1
  8. Freedom of choice

Freedom of choice Elite Member

Lambeth mate. Having knocked down my existing garage, I have been looking into this for months and still no further forward. I want a proper insulated wooden garage, maybe a double maybe a treble possibly with a room above, shit loads of options and prices. Problem I have is the cottage we live in; we might be knocked down and if that happens the new house will be in a different position in which case the garage might be in the wrong place. I am thinking now I might just go for a “shed” that can be moved when we have sorted everything out. In the mean time my bike is being stored in a secure garage at a friends, but he aint going to put up with it forever.

So, if anyone has any bright ideas I for one am interested.

#8 Freedom of choice, Jan 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  9. Freedom of choice

Mr B, that looks like what I might be looking for, good quality?. And insulated? Can I ask who you got it from? As it’s a “shed” I could quite easily move it later and use it for our tractor mower and other stuff.

10. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Check out Nutty Tart's album pages. Her little metal shed is sweet.

11. MrB

MrB God Like

I was pleased with it cost around £800 + the base. The insulation I did my self and probably cost nearly as much as the shed did by the time I had finished, added the flooring and ply lined the walls and roof and some electrics.

It did a good job at keeping the bike dry, no condensation and was secure enough for me and my circumstances.

I used a local firm http://www.justfir.co.uk/ and it was 10x12 no windows and as mentioned my insurance co classed it as a garage.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Freedom of choice

Thanks but I have looked at them but not keen Ken, I am a bit worried about condensation building up. Wood, like brick is a natural barrier to some degree.

13. MrB

MrB God Like

and if your wondering about the expertly laid flagstones, yes I did that my self as well but I don't come cheap :D

14. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

Id live in there with the bike !! ha ha

• Like Like x 1
  15. Freedom of choice

Thank you, it looks good Mr B. I will look into if they deliver this far north and your right about the windows and insurance. I have another "shed" with the tractor in and it’s a "garage" as far as the insurance are concerned.

16. Freedom of choice

Only in your dreams Dan.

17. And7rp2

And7rp2 Elite Member

My shed is 16' x 10,' 13mm thick wood tanalised, 28mm thick floor ( a must,thinner than 20 mm the side stand can go thru !!! It's happened to me) , hinges are on the outside but came with one way only screws. Cost £800 off a company in the midlands called Malvern sheds the price included del & erected,2nd hand flags sand and cement £110, insulated with 50mm thick polystyrene £80,lined with 5 mm thick board £80, 4 strip lights ( free ) 4 double sockets, wire and rcd £55, armoured cable ( free ). Flooring is old conveyor belt from work also free !! All in all £1200 ish got me a large shed that doubles as a workshop image.jpg image.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  18. Freedom of choice

And7rp2 that’s quite a bit closer than the West Country Waterworld. I will look into it. Thank you.

19. exfire

exfire Elite Member

I have one of these Securit Gb Ltd, shop4bikers, Asgard, metal shed, moped storage, scooter store, scooter garage, ATV garage, motorcycle garage, motorcycle cover, scooter cover,

I have had it for 6 years now and it is as good as new. Integral floor, inside ground anchor bolted to floor, two locks plus a padlock and internal hinges and a air vent.

Insurance companies sometimes have an issue with timber constructions for bikes, mainly due to security but also in relation to fire ie external fires affecting them. When I tried to insure my Ducati a few years back I could not find an insurer who would cover it if it was in a timber shed, but things do change.

PS Different sizes available and for more than 1 bike.

20. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

That's interesting to know Nige. We got planning permission and plans drawn to knock down our '60's, Morris Minor sized garage and replace it with a two car, two bike sized replacement with pitched roof for storage but it went on hold when J lost her job. Since then I've been planning a scabbed on, bespoke, wooden bike shed as a lean to on the existing garage. I'm quite handy with this kind of thing (believe it or not), and was going to build it from the ground up to a quality of materials I was happy with, with a place for everything I need to store an maintain the bike and the planned rebuild of my 550, when it happens. All with built in insulation and heating, with the advantage of being able to port power straight through the wall from the garage to suit.

I was quite looking forward to the process and planned to use the blog section to serialise it.

Would be a bit pointless if I couldn't insure the bike to keep it there. I'll have to rethink.