After a bit of advice..

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Jonno89, May 13, 2020.

1. Jonno89

Jonno89 New Member

Hi all,

I've currently got a 600f4i and am looking to get a blade soon.. Considering the 06/7 but open to the later snub nose, anyone have any input on issues, comfort, build quality etc?

Cheers, Jon

2. Paul Longstaff

Paul Longstaff Senior Member

Not had either of those models but I'm sure peeps will be along soon to offer their wisdom.
    Welcome to the forum

3. Black & White

Black & White Well-Known Member

Hi Jon.
    Some 2008-10 bikes had a crank issue. Don't bother with ABS versions, unless it's been removed.
    Otherwise, awesome bikes!

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

I went from an f4i to a rr7. Not quite as comfy but a lot more fun.

5. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

it's not a case of don't bother with ABS. It's a case of avoid ABS like Covid 19

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Agree Agree x 5
  6. NS400R

NS400R Elite Member

I had an RR6 from new for 12 years. Awesome bike. Ace build quality. I would heartily recommend one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Black & White

I've got a 2010 ABS model. The ABS has been removed & it's great!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

Obviously if its had it removed it's not really an ABS is it...

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Selmer50mark

Selmer50mark God Like

Go for the 07 fantastic bike ,,,,, this is when Honda build quality peaked in my opinion ;)

10. Jonno89

Jonno89 New Member

Thank you very much everybody, guess I'm on the right track.. Trying to find one that hasn't had 10 owners worth of 'pulls like a train' and 'reflected in some service history' seems to be a task!

Anybody here 6'2 and built like a malnourished whippet? I feel a bit scrunched on my f4i but I gather there's a few comfort options on the rr?

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. Marc

Marc Active Member

I switched to a RR6 from a Thundercat 18 months ago and can’t praise the Blade enough. Brilliant bike, I’ve no regrets.

Someone else asked a similar question recently and I commented that the 08 Blade is a hideous looking thing. They ended up buying an 08, so in a way I offended them without trying and it proved it’s not just the wife who doesn’t listen!

I suspect you’ll love whichever model you go for, enjoy.

12. dainesefreak

dainesefreak Senior Member

I'm trying to remember now, but I don't think size wise the 06 up to probably the 2014ish bike was too small. Then it started to shrink, the pegs got higher and bars lower.

The 2008 really spilt opinion but it was a grower. I rode mine through floods and blizzards, it was a really good all rounder.

13. Muffking

Muffking God Like

How about a low mileage mint '06 ;)
    https://www.1000rr.co.uk/threads/2006-honda-cbr1000rr5.39166/

• Like Like x 3
  14. Black & White

Mines still got ABS stickers on it! So It's an ABS model. Hahaha! I might buy a couple of Turbo stickers soon, to increase performance.
    I had the impression that our friend Jonno may well have been researching Fireblades and scouring ads. If he's found a similar bike to mine & been tempted by the ABS 'feature', the ad' probably won't say "..for peace of mind it's got...". Likewise, it probably won't say "It's got ABS & it's bloody dangerous!"
    What I was saying was, don't hanker after an ABS model because it's so equipped. Only get that model if it's been removed, or you are prepared to remove it after buying.
    So, Jonno, don't necessarily avoid a bike that was equipped with ABS when it left the factory, as @Kevin1 seems to suggest. By all means get one, but make sure it's been removed or be prepared to remove it yourself.

15. mk3golfcab

mk3golfcab Elite Member

I’ve had both, the hydraulic clutch suits me better on the 06/07 but there’s not a lot in it. If you go for 2008 onwards I’d recommend a 2011 model but it comes down to looks imo

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Jonno89

Jonno89 New Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Jonno89

Jonno89 New Member

Very interesting about the ABS, I was under the impression it was the best thing to have ever.. I'll keep that in mind when looking around and can use the 'dealer trying to kill' me as a bargaining tool..

18. Grooveski

Grooveski Active Member

My dad and flatmate are both 6'2" and slim build and the RR5 fits them like a glove. I believe the 04-07 were all the same size.

I'm 5'10" and am right up the front of the seat. Thinking of fitting Variobars to try to pull them back an inch or so.
    It's not that the bars are a reach(like my mates gixer thou - 50 miles on it and I'm hurting). I'm comfy enough on the blade, just can't slide around on the seat quite as easily as I'd like to.

...but anyway - yeah, 06-07 model should be right on the money for you I reckon.

#18 Grooveski, May 14, 2020
    Last edited: May 14, 2020
  19. edderby

edderby Active Member

It's funny how so many people hate the look of this model. I first saw it in the window of my local dealer - Minions in Derby - at the launch in early 2008 and thought it was fantastic. Not too long afterwards I traded-in my much loved 2003 CBR600RR for it (I was in love with that bike too from it's launch and bought one of the first).

I bought both bikes new. I've still got the blade and doubt I'll ever sell it - too many good rides to remember (as far away as Slovenia!). Wish i'd kept the 600RR too, I virtually gave it away at trade-in - silly me....

Comfort and reliability on the CBR1000RR8 have been perfect. Never broken down. Have covered over 700 miles in a day, it'll do 175mph on the autobahn with full luggage, go down gravel tracks in the back end of nowhere, stay cool in the city, steer beautifully on winding roads and accelerate faster than you'd believe

#19 edderby, May 14, 2020
    Last edited: May 14, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  20. R.M

R.M Member

I had a nice bumblebee one few years ago:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1