Alarms & Security?

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by OllieTY, Jun 10, 2019.

1. OllieTY

OllieTY Active Member

Hi Guys,

New here, just picked up a 2012 CBR1000RR. It's currently fitted with one of those Sim-equipped alarms that text you when the bike gets moved, but I'm thinking of upgrading the security to something with an audible alarm, and maybe adding GPS/Radio tracking too. What do you guys have fitted, any recommendations? I commute about 10 miles each way so I'm not too worried about batteries draining ( I have an Optimate too, just in case)

2. raphael

raphael Elite Member

IMHO mate I wouldn’t bother with an alarm as no one will take any notice of it and will at some point cause you hassle when it starts going wrong.
    I don’t think you can too far wrong with heavy duty disc locks and chains to slow them down as if they want it they will take it.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. dainesefreak

dainesefreak Senior Member

If you've got something to alert you personally I wouldn't bother with an alarm, no one else takes any notice.

One of my bikes had an expensive Datatool alarm and the thing went off so often, that when it was actually being nicked my first instinct was to hit the remote without even checking. It only went off as the 5 guys nicking it put the front wheel into the van.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

For me it's always been about heavy duty chains, disc locks and concrete in ground anchors!!

Alarms and tracking devices have always been something I don't bother with. As others have said, no one pays attention to alarms and if it was in the street no one will risk their lives to stop some scally scum robbing your bike!

As for tracking devices, on paper a good idea.....but if my bike was robbed they would have probably made a right mess of it cutting the chains and disc lock off, not to mention messing up the ignition......truth is I wouldn't want it back after that. "Er we've found your bike sir.....it's completely fucked like but"...........so a tracking device doesn't appeal to me either!;)

Also do they even get you a reasonable discount on your insurance? ?o_O

5. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Oxford (or any) chain for me and disc lock.

I have more chains in my home than Madame Lash:D.

6. Wozza

Wozza Elite Member

Cars on a tracker but bike chain and disc lock....tracker handy when you park it in a dodgy location plus it tells me when service due...how much fuel in it...gimmick really

7. Jez

Jez Senior Member

If it was not for the alarm I would have lost my R1, They broke into the garage, put a rope round the bike? this went up the drive. But I had a movement sensor on the alarm so when they moved it it must have gone off. They then must have run off. Just leaving me to repair garage door, and upgrade security.
    To me you want more than one approach, Security lights are best bang for buck (only good at home) alarms then chains.
    watch this vid to see how good thatcham chains are

8. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

Good video...... And quite funny in places, something quite hilarious watching two properly unfit bastards trying to brake through chains!

For me though it highlights something I've long been a fan of....... And that is not leaving any slack in the chain on the garage floor. Makes it ten times easier for the thieving scum.

If the chain is say..... Wrapped around the wheel twice, or through the frame, with no slack on the ground.... whatever it may be. But without the floor to use as leverage, the bastards will struggle like fuck....... Imagine trying to do that with just your arms?? Not a chance;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. tuktuk

tuktuk Elite Member

Almax is the way to go!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Unless your name is @Nytol . :D:D

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Jez

Jez Senior Member

With the new cordless grinders locks are only good for about one minute. I like my 100w LED floodlights. CPC are doing them for about £25

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. bazzashadow

bazzashadow Elite Member

Cordless grinder with 1mm disc would make lighter work of it:mad:

13. TheMickster

TheMickster Active Member

I pushed my ZX-7R (which is heavy) home once, when the alarm went funny and I couldn't start it, and I didn't want to leave it in town. was younger and didn't pay the extra for recovery or anything then on my insurance (do now :)).

No one batted an eyelid that the alarm was constantly activating while I was pushing it, someone even helped me push it up the hill :).

Got home and read the alarm book to find that if you pressed the buttons in a sequence and then held them both down for 10 seconds it reset itself :oops:. Started straight away after doing that :D.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Good story Mickster.

My recent purchase of the 954 caught me out with its alarm. In my enthusiasm to put on the rear seat cowl, I took off the pillion seat and all hell broke loose. There was a trip sensor beneath the friggin' seat. Had to frantically run inside, find the manual, find the fob and then turn it off.

Needless to say a saw a few peerings from nearby windows!!:D

15. CBRGav

CBRGav Active Member

Home it's ground anchor and chain with disc lock, out and about( mostly pub or chip shop car parks) it's lucky get locked up. If they want it they'll take it so why make it so it fucked the bike, I just stuck disc lock on if I remember take it. Never bothered with alarms for the reasons above. Got adt monitored alarm from the house on the shed aswell so if anyone gets in I can check CCTV see who it is. Got CCTV in the shed and on the garden aswell as a coded gate on side of the house. Main thing at home is keep it out of site, so they don't know it's there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Spygoat

Spygoat Well-Known Member

Locked, alarmed garage with cameras and a motion detector at home, with a Marine Corps flag flying on the house does the trick. When I take the Repsol out, it is never out of my sight. However, there aren't as many thieving scum fucks bent on bikes over this side of the pond.

17. bazzashadow

bazzashadow Elite Member

What they are doing is putting a tracker on your bikes while they are left places(meets and towns mainly)
    And following it back to your house, then watching what you do, times and all that and coming back when it is clear to nick your bike.

• Agree Agree x 2