Alps wasn't easy - maybe this trip will be better?

Discussion in 'Touring' started by edderby, Aug 17, 2016.

1. edderby

edderby Active Member

My well planned Alps trip in May went completely off plan with puncture, riding through floods and general washout. I wrote it up on here and it's been read over a thousand times, so I thought I'd share my next attempt.

I've decided to have another go at a 2016 European trip. Totally unplanned this time. Away next week and the one after visiting she who must be obeyed's family in Canada, back at work for a week then using last week of annual holiday to go "somewhere in Europe on the blade". So far booked return trip on channel tunnel (£25 of Tesco clubcard vouchers departure date 10th Sept, return 18th Sep) and collected a new Bridgestone T30 evo rear tyre form local Argos (£125 from visorshop on eBay and I can take the loose wheel one lunchtime for fitting tyre for £10) and a joblot of ear plugs from ebay in the post. Also ordered £400 worth of Euros from the Post Office and collected tonight.

That's the limit of my planning. Each night I'm going to book a hotel on line for the following night, based on how i feel and what the weather forecast says...

2. sp1n99

sp1n99 Active Member

Some of my best trips have been the "unplanned" ones.
    I rarely book hotels ahead in France, there are so many chain hotels that you always find somewhere to stay, plus it doesn't tie you to a route ( if the weather changes, change route ).
    Last weeks MCN had a article about the Vosgue area that sounded good and easy from the tunnel.
    Wherever you go take it easy and enjoy.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Slimwilly

Slimwilly Member

I have just returned from Austrian alps, one thunderstorm but hot otherwise. Where in alps you heading ? I have a hotel,come pub restaurant we use in Goldau , near lake luzerne, half the price of Luzerne areas, Big Joe Lorelli , the owner says its a good base to visit five top passes in five days. search Joe Torelli

4. dansp1

dansp1 Active Member

Why would you ride anywhere without a puncture repair kit?
    Lesson learned i trust!

5. edderby

edderby Active Member

I'm not confident about using a puncture repair kit, so I don't plan to take one with me. Puncture in Belgium was first puncture since 2003 and first front tyre puncture ever. I'll stick with my breakdown insurance as the person they send out is likely to be better at doing a temporary tyre fix than I am...

6. dansp1

dansp1 Active Member

Some years i have no punctures other times i can't go anywhere without picking up a nail , the kits are pretty easy to use, next time you have a worn out tyre you are going to replace why not buy a kit and have a practice, once you are confident using them you can't go wrong

I have ridden at sustained high speed many times on repaired tyres, sometimes several repairs!

7. Robbo52

Robbo52 Active Member

Yes its better to "wing it" as you go, like others have said youre not committed then. Did the 'ring last year, booked the 1st night in Belgium, then just used wifi at cafes etc as the day goes on to find the next place. Use hotels.com or their app to get a decent rate.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. edderby

edderby Active Member

Thanks Robbo, that's exactly what I am thinking of doing. Am reassured that it all went well for you when you did the same thing.

9. edderby

edderby Active Member

Thanks, you're right. I'm starting to look forward to my trip and lack of a schedule is quite liberating

10. Robbo52

Robbo52 Active Member

Yes all went well pal. Stayed in some decent places. Having a schedule, you can't really relax and enjoy it. You're just trying to make it to the next stop almost like a rally. I'll be doing it again next year

11. Nigelg79

Nigelg79 Active Member

Know how you feel about the puncture. I got one 120 miles from our campsite at Mugello this year before the GP! Rear tyre started deflating just after we left the last service station, in the pissing rain. Pulled over to have a look on hard shoulder and was almost flat with a hole about 1cm long, so Christ knows what caused it. Whatever it was had just left a hole.

Fortunately I had both a plug repair kit and a can of some Halfords tyre repair gunk. The plug literally just pushed in and there were air bubbles still coming out around it so I then filled it with the gunk as well, inflated it with the little CO2 canisters with the plug kit and rode it slowly off to the next exit. Found a garage and inflated it to correct tyre pressure and took it easy for the ride to campsite, with my mates keeping an eye behind me and stopping every 50 miles to check the pressure was holding.

It did the job and the morning after we got to the campsite we found a tyre shop and replaced it that day while we went off for practice. Job done.

I know this is all well and good but the point of the post is just to say, if you do get a puncture, much of the time you'll be able to temporarily repair it yourself with only a few bits. Nothing to be scared of and dead cheap when you compare it to a possible repair call out. And if you can't sort it, then call someone out. I was lucky in that the puncture was in the centre of the tyre so the gunk was able to works it way round the tyre nice and easily. But it was a great learning experience all the same. And a trip we'll never forget either!

12. edderby

edderby Active Member

Thanks Nigel. Yes I agree, I ought to get a repair kit really. Going without one this trip though, as setting off in less than7 days and still in Canada and working a 5 day week in Derby before setting off, hence I will be very short on time for preparation!

13. edderby

edderby Active Member

Set off from Derby yesterday morning and went through France to Epinal. Long day of 600 miles riding plus 80 minutes delay at channel tunnel.
    Today spent 10 hours in saddle going through Vosges Mountains in France then into Switzerland and over Grimsel Pass (#10 on ride magazine top passes list) Furka Pass, and a few more.
    L it's now thundering and pouring down...
    Just eating 28euro burger in hotel (stupid Swiss prices - if I come to this counry again I will stop off at MacDonalds in a town centre!). Didn't dare ask what price I am paying for the beers....

Sorry, but can't remember how to upload pictures on here.

FINALLY REMEMBERED!!!!!

IMG:
    [​IMG]

#13 edderby, Sep 11, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  14. Slimwilly

Slimwilly Member

Good going for day one,, go on a diet , it's cheaper,,good luck

15. RepsolPaul

RepsolPaul Well-Known Member

Sounds just what I need at the minute, enjoy matey, keep posting.

16. edderby

edderby Active Member

Yikes, just spent ages typing update and it vanished into the ether...
    Anyway, briefly, I dodged the weather and went through Rhone area of Germany, couldn't find accommodation then went to Harz mountains. Found. Accommodation at 9pm, involving last minute (hour) dash at 140mph along dark Autobahn to get there in time. More to come, just sending now before this disappears too...

17. edderby

edderby Active Member

Continuing,
    Harz mountains aren't really mountains, just hills, but the roads are mega - they are race track smooth and very grippy. Big, small sweeping corners galore, nobody obeys or enforces the speed limits. It's a wonderful area. Half is in the old East Germany which makes for interesting contrasts - followed an old boy in his 2 stroke Trabbie then got stuck behind a Maybach...

18. edderby

edderby Active Member

Pictures:
    Alps:

[​IMG]

19. edderby

edderby Active Member

More Alps
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  20. edderby

edderby Active Member

Not all German roads are high quality. Here and there I have ended up on cobbled roads and gravel roads!
    [​IMG]

Pretty German picture:
    [​IMG]