An easy request for help please?

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by jeff james, Jun 24, 2021.

1. jeff james

jeff james Active Member

Hi,
    I have a 2015 CBR1000RR and think I may have an intermittent issue with the right hand cooling fan (The large one) only working sporadically.
    I am starting to investigate to issue, but noticed when I spin the fan clockwise (Looking at it through the gap in the middle fairing) it makes a clicking noise, a little like a very light ratchet sound, but spins with no noise anti clockwise. The fan is not interfering with anything to make the noise, and I am pretty sure it is coming from the motor housing. I have spun the smaller left hand fan both ways and no sound at all.
    My request is, can anybody with the same model, just spin their right fan and let me know if theirs makes the clicking noise, when spun clockwise?
    Many thanks
    Jeff

2. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

I've the same model Jeff and I've just spun it several times. There's no clicking.
    I've done both fans both ways and they're quiet

3. jeff james

jeff james Active Member

Many thanks Lozzy, think I may have a dodgy fan motor unit then? I`ll see if all other responses are the same, and will then remove for further investigation!
    Cheers
    Jeff

4. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

I’ve a 2016 (but imagine its the same fans) and there’s no ticking

5. jeff james

jeff james Active Member

Many thanks Boothman! Think I need to start looking for a new fan motor!
    Jeff

• Like Like x 1
  6. jokeshopbeard

jokeshopbeard Active Member

I thought that fan only came on intermittently by design?

7. jeff james

jeff james Active Member

It should at 104 degrees, but I’m pretty sure it hasn’t on a few occasions, as temperature has continued to rise until second fan kicks in at 106 degrees

8. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

104 sounds high - I recall reading somewhere that first fan comes on at 102.6 and second at 106.2. Back then I felt reassured as I thought mine was getting too warm - having previously seen fans kick in at more like 100 on other bikes.

9. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

I've seen my blades hit 106 quite often when it's combined with hot weather and town riding. All the fans were functioning on them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

you may not need a new fan. If the clicking is in one direction only then something is rubbing agaist it.
    remember the blades are angled so the object will brush agaisnt it one way & catches it the other

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. dern

dern Well-Known Member

Measure the voltage to the fan while running the bike up to temperature. If you can do this while the fan is connected then you can see whether or not 12v is being supplied to the fan and it isn't turning. If it gets 12v and doesn't turn it's the fan, if it doesn't get 12v it isn't.

Alternatively connect the fan directly to the/a battery and see if it runs silently without the engine running. That will give you a good indication as to whether the fault is with the fan.

If there's a fault it's either with the fan, the wiring or the switching power supply/temperature sensor. Better to diagnose than swap parts.

12. F1CT1C10U5

F1CT1C10U5 Well-Known Member

I had one of my fans "clicking", and it was the clutch cable that was somewhat in the wrong position.

• Like Like x 1
  13. jeff james

jeff james Active Member

Thanks Bonjo, will take fairing off this weekend and have a good look around the fan for any stray items touching the fan. Fingers crossed for an easy fix!

14. jeff james

jeff james Active Member

I’ll check that out when I take fairing off!

15. jeff james

jeff james Active Member

Thanks fern, I have a 12v battery lying about so may well just try and disconnect fan and run the 12v directly through fan to see if it runs. At least then I can identify faulty fan, or not. Honda want £475 just for a fan motor. E bat have several for £40!!

16. bazzashadow

bazzashadow Elite Member

Stone in there somewhere

17. jeff james

jeff james Active Member

Quick update after I had a few hours to kill! Checked the fuse, all OK, removed fan relay and tested that, all OK, removed middle fairing and visually inspected fan for anything interfering with it, all OK, unplugged the fan from multiplug, contacts were a bit dirty, so cleaned them with contact cleaner. Connected a 12v battery to the fan directly, fan ran perfectly. reconnected everything, ran it up to temperature and fan all worked fine again, so seemed to be a dirty connector. I did notice that the connector is clearly visible through the gap in the fairing, and would be exposed to the hosepipe when cleaning! Will keep the hose pipe well clear in future, and give a quick squirt of WD40 after each clean. Fingers crossed, problem solved!

• Like Like x 2
  18. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

Is it still making the clicking sound?

• Agree Agree x 1