Anodising oem rear sets

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Fraz, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Fraz

Fraz Active Member

I'm taking off my OEM rearsets to get them anodised in black to match the bike. Anyone have any tips on the best way to get the rubber bit off, without destroying it? Cheers
    IMG_20161212_191250659.jpg

2. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

The metal collars in the rubber gromit should just pull out then the rubber should just pull out

Hope you're getting hard anodised as normal anodising will wear quite quickly on rearsets with boots rubbing against them

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. dansp1

dansp1 Active Member

They are footrests, not rearsets

4. Fraz

Fraz Active Member

4d3.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  5. Fudster

Fudster Active Member

I enquired about getting the standard footrest hangers anodised for my project CBX and was advised against it due to the high zinc content in the ally, The lad at the place I got my zinc coating done said he has had them dissolve in the acid bath :eek: may be worth asking the question before you get them done

• Like Like x 1
  6. Dave dunlop

Dave dunlop Elite Member

Your better off stripping them down and having them powder coated if I'm honest.... I sprayed mine 2 years ago and still looking good, just scotch brite them wash them down will brake cleaner or thinners, prime them with some grey primer and then apply your black topcoat, give them a good two coats followed by a clear coat... I skipped the last process so they have a few odd chips that I've touched in. Problem is you need to do them someplace warm this time of the year as it's too cold and damp to be painting outside....

7. Dave dunlop

Dave dunlop Elite Member

8. Dave dunlop

Dave dunlop Elite Member

image.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  9. Fraz

Fraz Active Member

They look really great Dave. I've decided to strip mine down and get them powder coated. Only problem is on the gear lever arm there is a rubber boot that covers the ball joint for the linkage arm. It is not meant to come off! I'm hoping it can be covered with a heat proof tape or something otherwise the gear lever can't be done!
    IMG_20161215_142345.jpg

10. Dave dunlop

Dave dunlop Elite Member

Yeh your be fine just wrap some masking tape around the rubber and ball joint . I fitted mine back up using Rizomo pegs as there nice and grippy, also Ti bolts throughout including Ti clevis pins! Sod paying ££££ for rearsets when the OE pegs are nice a comfortably, mines a 14 plate so they are slightly raised and further back than previous models.

11. Fraz

Fraz Active Member

Powder coating is cured with heat though so I'm going to need some tough tape otherwise the rubber will cook!

I did notice your Rizomo pegs, really finishes it off. I am going to look into doing the same, easy to fit? Completely agree with the price for decent rear sets, I'd rather spend the £££ elsewhere.

12. Dave dunlop

Dave dunlop Elite Member

Perhaps ask them before hand, also you have the big rubber toe guard for the gear change lever, as I was painting I just masked them up. I think that bottom ball joint is pressed in. Yeh I had a spare set of pegs knocking around will see if I still have them, your need the adapters to fit the blade from Rizomo.