Another Battery Question

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by nigelrb, May 19, 2018.

1. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

I have a couple of Optimiser/Optimate chargers. Can anyone offer definitive advice as to whether they can be used with the old style batteries, i.e. the lead and acid type with screw off caps?

Reason for asking is because it has always been recommended to remove caps when charging battery. I want to attach the quick plug in cable to the battery (which is rather concealed on my VF1000R) and obviously do not want to frig around removing seat and panels to undo the caps. Cheers.

PS. I do not want to build a solar charger.:D

2. dessp2

dessp2 Well-Known Member

Nigel it is Saturday night. Go out for a pint mate.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Yep fair call - coming from one sitting in a pub with a pint while intently focused on Forum matters on his mobile! :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jez

Jez Senior Member

Do they still have caps to remove?, most modern lead acid bike battery's are gel, classed as maint free, so just charge, unless you are in a rush always charge at medium rate as in a couple of amps

5. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Thanks Jez, and you're quite right. Was a case of jumping the gun. I was expecting to find the 'older style' battery in the bike, but it had been replaced with the modern sealed type. I'll be buying just a connector lead tomorrow to connect to battery and then plug in to my Optimiser.