Another Nigel Rant - Insurance

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by nigelrb, May 2, 2019.

1. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Frig I hate some insurance companies.

Have a couple of renewals to do and sent off an email to a major player for a renewal quote and to add a bike to make a multi bike policy. I used this company just recently, but now, they won't accept my email with full detail. Was re-directed to a frustratingly impossible robotic chat screen that tells me it cannot process changes to policy. I claim it's not a change but a whole new policy, to which I'm told to phone their 0344 number which amounts to an horrendous cost when having to listen to three minutes of 'disclaimers' before even getting to the nitty-gritty.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

It’s not just insurance companies - every call seams to be as long and drawn out of an endurance as it can be at XXp per minute

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

0344 is as standard call from landline or included in your minutes on a mobile which most are unlimited these days :) so I always use my mobile. There's also websites that give you alternative cheaper numbers if it's a high rate one.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Yeah, agree with standard call, but my last couple of calls to these numbers for insurance purposes topped £3.50 each. Some will say it's negligible, but I say it's avoidable if companies would stop this practice when we seek to do business with them. What gripes me in particular is the: 'We would like to inform you etc, etc . . .' which can go on for up to three minutes.:mad::mad:

Fair point about the mobile. I'm with BT and have unlimited minutes. Being the old fogey that I am, I never consider the mobile because of my old school 'mobiles are expensive' perception. I really must convert. Perhaps I'll calm down and phone them from my mobile. Cheers Loz.;)

Oh, and being the one who's continually calling for naming companies in the 'public interest', the company to which I referred is Bennetts Insurance.:)

5. Muffking

Muffking God Like

I just use a comparison site. Gets rid of all the hassle of calling Mumbai.

6. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Yeah, I use MCN Compare and the friggin' Meerkat, but for multi bike policies, we have to phone the actual broker. It's worth it in the end, just a PIA initially.;)

7. bazzashadow

bazzashadow Elite Member

I thought if the number is classed as a local number and you get free calls it free anyway:confused:

8. hitch

hitch Elite Member

Also when I use my mobile for this type of thing I'll always use the wired headset that came with it....keep both hands free then to either make notes or throttle whoever is passing

9. bazzashadow

bazzashadow Elite Member

Are blades dear to insure?
    My mate has just insured 2 Harley’s for £150 and another mate pays £280 for a triumph bobber, t100, royal Enfield and a zx10.
    Also my VTR was only £100 but the blade was £350:eek::mad:

10. Jez

Jez Senior Member

When I rang I used a big elastic band round my head to hold the phone, 35mins later I got through, Unfortunately whilst wandering about the mute was pressed and by the time I realised the operator had hung up. :(

• Funny Funny x 5
  11. BladeOfGlory

BladeOfGlory Active Member

Good gracious, they are if you're in your mid-twenties and living inside the M25...
    I'm expecting my next renewal to be north of a k :eek:

And apparently keeping it in the house does NOT count as "garaged"!

12. bazzashadow

bazzashadow Elite Member

:eek::eek::eek:
    I wonder if nigel knows that:rolleyes:

13. Cream_Revenge

Cream_Revenge Active Member

As rants go that's about 3/10.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Yes. MCE specifies that, but others (BeMoto and Bennetts) accept a 'locked building'. When I send my email quote requests, I also include a pic of the bike in the house so there can never be any argument.

True. But I'm a pacifist ranter:D.

15. BladeOfGlory

BladeOfGlory Active Member

Interestingggg. Useful to know. I'm with MCE, purely because I had an existing policy and they were the cheapest I could find for the blade

16. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Yes, they generally come up the cheapest on compare sites. I had all my bikes with them, but after policy change admin fees, and then the garage 'definition' clause, I've gradually migrated away.;)

17. Shutty

Shutty Well-Known Member

I found it cheaper for two seperate policies, you can pick n chose and earn NCB on both making ot cheaper in the long run... ease of renewals and more options with more companies

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Nytol

Nytol Active Member

I have my K1300s insured with them, and when I got my new Blade I called them first, purely thinking it would be convenient as they already had my details.

After the normal crap was out of the way, I was told they could not insure the bike, at any cost :rolleyes:

So I went on one of the comparison sites and got it covered for about 350, certainly not a majorly expensive.

The BMW policy automatically renewed, but I'd not waste my time calling them again on a new bike after that.

• Like Like x 1
  19. bazzashadow

bazzashadow Elite Member

Does the house insurance know nigel?:rolleyes:

20. bazzashadow

bazzashadow Elite Member

at £350 how old are you mate and where are you.
    I thought £350 was dear for me
    50, Norfolk full no claims