Another Nigel Rant - Insurance

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by nigelrb, May 2, 2019.

1. DazK

DazK Active Member

I use Bennetts as they weren’t the cheapest but got all the benefits, h&l, etc thrown in. MCE has an excess off £1350 for £1 less on the policy!! £192 fully comp off £350 excess:D:D

• Like Like x 1
  2. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Thing to remember about H&L cover is that they can be covered on your house content insurance if you have accidental damage. That normally has a lower excess and won't bump your premium too much.

#22 Barstewardsquad, May 4, 2019
    Last edited: May 5, 2019
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Nytol

Nytol Active Member

I'm 42 and near Canterbury in Kent

This was a 2nd bike and I could not find my proof of no claims from my previous 2nd bike, so that was essentially with zero no claims.

I was quite happy with that tbh,

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. D16PJM

D16PJM New Member

I have a multi bike with Bennett's and the one issue is changes are expenses, i think it is £32 to change a reg number on a policy hence why i have not put the private plate on one of my bikes.

I paid £298 for 3 bikes with them BMW K1100, Kawasaki ZX9R and 08 Blade, i think i would struggle to get near that now

Pete

5. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Wow! If I could get near that for three I'd be rapt. (VF, RR4, and 954) I'm due to phone then tomorrow. Am cross-quoting with BeMoto. Will post result.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jez

Jez Senior Member

I insured my blade for 140 fully comp, They wanted 300 for my son just to store his 600 theft only in the same garage

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. blink

blink Well-Known Member

hmmm, mine is £544 with MCE, and a grand excess (i think)

8. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Sounds dear, but it's your first year for a big bike as I recall?

You'd hopefully do much better next year. You might have fared much worse had you purchased an SP or Ducati V4!

9. blink

blink Well-Known Member

Yeah first year big boys bike. 2 years no claims though. Could be worse. Having ABS made it £100 cheaper too as did having plain colours, not the tt legends version

10. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

They've gotta be having a laugh! Colours escalate the price?

Repsol boys must have a damn cheap premium then!!:eek::eek::)

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. blink

blink Well-Known Member

Yeah, i ran loads through the comparison sites, the white and black ones were cheaper, repsol, hrc etc were more, and mine seemed to be even more again. Maybe they think they are more noticeable and likely to be nicked.

Tbf, i love the audience when i park up, worth a hundred quid lol

12. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Erm, perhaps it's not the bike;).

13. blink

blink Well-Known Member

To be fair, i do attract a lot of attention :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Thanks for bumping this thread to the top @blink because my ears are steaming after just getting off a 28 minute phone call with Bennetts.:mad:

Situation is this. I have a multi-bike policy with Bennetts with the SP2 and 2011 Blade. I also have the VF100R and NS400R.

The VF is due for renewal on 11/5, so I thought I'll structure a multi bike with the VF, The RR4 (due on 26/5) and the new 954 (just purchased). Obviously I had to go through all the guff of giving all the details etc. Turns out they won't do 3 together. When pressed, I was told that I need 2 -3 years no claim to make such a policy:rolleyes:. No amount of explaining the bikes do fewer than 1,000 miles per year would make any difference. Because of my recent return to motorcycling I don't have the required NCB; my 2 years is used on the 2011.
    So, here's what I was offered: RR4 - £189.98 whereas I paid £130.42 with MCE last year, and surprisingly the 954 is £339.00. WTF?

Renewal on the VF is reasonable at £90.68, BUT Bennetts will not accept it as a 'classic' bike whereas others will.

My good friend at BeMoto is calling tomorrow with what I hope will be an unbeatable quote. Otherwise I'll be back on to the compare sites and do them all individually. The idea of the multi-bike is for streamlining my renewals so that they're not all over the place.

As we have said before: it's all a friggin' lottery!!:rolleyes:

15. regishaunus

regishaunus Member

Keep us updated Nige.

I’ll be in the same situation as you in Weeks. 3xbikes to insure (RR6 Blade, Blackbird, GPZ900) I’ve got the 3yrs NCB and I’m looking to put them all on 1 policy with agreed value on the 900R. Dreading all the phone calls to be honest!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Cheers. I feel a bit guilty for dragging this out as most insurance threads are essentially the same. However, the more we post, the more variables that seem to enter the equation. What is so inconsistent with Bennetts today, is that that had no such multi-bike criteria when they quoted my SP2 and 2011 only 6 weeks ago. I took out that policy with them!

I should clarify the above mentioned prices are full comp. MCE online via comparison sites quote £129.39 TPFT for the 954.

I truly hope Ryan at BeMoto can swing a deal. Already have 2 bikes with them.

17. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

RANT OVER.

What a result.

Just finished phone with BeMoto.

VF1000R goes on to a 'classic' policy with only a £50 excess. Premium a tad dearer at £128.12, but well worth it considering the following:

RR4 get attached to my multi bike policy with the SP2 and 2011. Premium of £76.38.

954 also gets attached to the aforementioned multi bike. Premium of £69.66.

End result is a no-brainer. 3 bikes for £274.16 and that is full comprehensive. Remember that I have a maximum no claim discount of only 2 years so I am over the moon!

In the bigger picture, for 8 bikes and my Super Citroen C1 I pay an annual total of just £1303.41.

Best I can do now is provide a link to BeMoto. Both Ryan and Georgie (female) have been outstanding: https://www.bemoto.uk/

• Like Like x 1
  18. hitch

hitch Elite Member

Well done @nigelrb, glad you got a good result. Haggling for insurance deals is a right royal pain in the butt.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. regishaunus

regishaunus Member

Guess I’ll be speaking to Bemoto next week then

20. Jez

Jez Senior Member

I feel I am missing something only having one bike, But the wife has a C1, so don't feel I am missing out on that :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1