Any electricians?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by tuktuk, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Muffking

Muffking God Like

Not just the name of a dance group ;)

2. tuktuk

tuktuk Elite Member

I'm looking at leccy fires now too as can't be arsed have a log burner put in.

I need a track bike project quick or I will be getting kicked off this forum :D

3. Liddell98

Liddell98 Active Member

You don't need to run separate cables. Very rarely do you need a 10mm cable, this is only for massive induction cookers, very rarely have i ever installed a 10mm for a cooker in a house.

The 6mm cable should be more than adequate, what is the rating of the oven and hob? It will be measured by Kw or w and I will do the calculation for you.

Also trying to fit 2 connections into the cooker outlet can be a bit tricky and busy, you can actually buy a dual cooker outlet "polar" do one and it's much easier and more room to fit the 2 connections (3 including the cable coming into it)

This is my area of expertise! So fire away and I'll be more than happy to help

• Like Like x 1
  4. tuktuk

tuktuk Elite Member

Cheers mate.

I'm planning on putting in a bosch 3kw max induction hob PUE611BF1B and a bog standard single oven, I'm sure this was under 3kw max but will check model details when I'm next down there.

The only other thing I hadn't considered was I bought an oven wall socket switch thing which also has a single socket on it so there is always the potential for someone to stick a kettle or something on it.

5. Liddell98

Liddell98 Active Member

That's absolutely fine, 6kw at it's most would pull about 26amps.

The chances of running all rings and oven etc at it's full potential are extremely slim, odd occasion at Christmas maybe, and to have all that running at the same time and a kettle plugged in, well what's the chances lol?

Not want to bore you with the regulations but there is various factors to take into account to determine the current carrying capacity of the 6mm cable, wether it runs through insulation etc. Let's presume that it's clipped direct and not running through any thermal insulation, the cable is good for 47amps.

This means as long as the breaker at the consumer unit is no more than 40amps, then the cable can't ever be overloaded, because the breaker would trip at 40amp and the cable is good for 47amps. The whole point in breaker sizes is to prevent overload and causing damage to the cable.

So your 6mm could do up to about 9kw, that at most would be about 39amps but the cooker is never really going to be ran at that full potential. (This would be different for showers)

If your cooker is on a 32amp breaker then this can do up to about 7.5kw, anything bigger than that then it could potentially trip the 32amp so you would up the breaker to a 40amp but the chances of it tripping a 32amp are extremely slim as this will never really be ran at it's full potential.

Hope that all makes sense lol! Mr regulation

Moral of the story you can go up to about 9kw and if it's anything bigger then let me know lol.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Liddell98

Liddell98 Active Member

• Like Like x 1
  7. tuktuk

tuktuk Elite Member

Legend! Much appreciated.

I'm hoping to get it all sorted in the next couple of weeks as it's only a matter of time before I get a meter reader guy come round and report me. Probably condemn the place lol.

• Like Like x 1