Anybody gone 1 down on the front?

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by damodici, Mar 24, 2012.

1. damodici

damodici Active Member

I've searched the forum but to no avail :(

Just wondered if anybody's gone 1 down othe front sprocket?

Looking at swapping the sprockets & chain out for a Z link/ring (whatever you want to call it) whilst the wheels are being powder coated and its been suggested to go down 1 on the front.

Sounds fine to me but figured I'd ask you boys first, anybody done it and does it make a noticeable difference?

The chap who's doing the work is a racer and instructor so he has knowledge, for the record he also offers powder coated wheels for £50 a wheel which includes removing the tyres, removing the bearings, sends them off and then puts everything back together all cleaned and road/track ready. Bargain really :)

Additionally he's offered to swap the sprockets out and do all the work for £175 inc Z link chain and renthal hard anodised sprockets, ride in ride out service . I can only just buy an Xring set for that and I'd have to do it myself.

Long live the local dealer :)

2. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

• Like Like x 1
  3. megawatt

megawatt Well-Known Member

1 down on front, 2 up on rear. Renthal sprockets, hard anodized rear. Why Don,t you fit em yerself?

4. damodici

damodici Active Member

Only because it'll cost me £165 give or take to buy them, he'll fit them all in for £175.....it's not worth me even trying for that price :)

5. damodici

damodici Active Member

6. Freedom of choice

Freedom of choice Elite Member

Are you all barking? With standard teeth I need panty pads if I get a bit too adventuress with the right hand.

7. Repsol Rob

Repsol Rob Elite Member

Im a newbie to these alterations.....what about speedo recalibration ?......i ve read about speedo healers ? what are they ??

8. bluekontakt2004

bluekontakt2004 Active Member

If I were you I would go up 2 at the rear instead of down 1 at the front. A smaller front sprocket will wear quicker as it has to do more revoloutions.

It will also wear the. Chain gaurd/runner on the swing arm quicker due to the lower profile.

9. bluekontakt2004

bluekontakt2004 Active Member

Because the speedo is taken from the crank the speedo gets put out when you change the gearing.

The speedo healer plugs in after the speedo sensor and adds or takes away a percentage correction. You can set them up to just. Correct for the gearing change or gearing change and factory error.

10. Jamiestrada

Jamiestrada JamieMultiTraitor

I went 2 up on the back and with the 55 rear it cancelled out so no need for a speedo healer, its easier to change the rear sprocket as well imo

makes a big differance picks the front up more easily and drives out of the corners better :)

• Like Like x 2
  11. damodici

damodici Active Member

Standard length chain ok with +2 at the back?

Also not sure if you saw that other post about your thoughts on the K3's? Been thinking about using them for the early part of the season as I'll have a few track days then head off to the ring. Probably put the sportsmarts on after that trip..... Or are the sportsmarts just as good?

12. BLAGGERS

BLAGGERS Well-Known Member

Summat wrong with your clutching mate? Mine (used to) come up eaasily enough for the clocks to hit my face. Lol

13. Jamiestrada

Chain is fine with +2 and I have just replied about the K3's, have not tried the sportsmarts yet so cant compare but love the K3's as you may be able to tell, got my rear sprocket from talon in yeovil :)

14. Jamiestrada

Nothing wrong with clutching blags :) just it does it of the power now much easier, it came up before ok just I find I like the bike acceleration more aggressive to my liking and I am not to botherd about losing a few mph top end

How you feeling fella, hope you healing up :)