Anyone fitted and balance their own tyres? Is it easy enough?

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Tonic, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Tonic

Tonic Active Member

Hi guys, I've got a little CBR600 which I intend to put a new Dunlop Sportsmart on the front. Was thinking about having a bash at balancing and fitting it myself. I'm a main thence fitter, so making a balancer shouldn't be too much of a problem. I see you can buy protectors and levers for £10 and weights for the same amount.

Just wondering how difficult it it to get the tyre off without scratching/damaging the wheel.

Thoughts appreciated

2. scooby

scooby Elite Member

do a search on here,theres a few threads about it.

but to answer your question,it's easy with the right tools,and relatively easy without.

reckon i've saved about £25,000 so far doing my own tyres.....

• Like Like x 1
  3. sinewave

sinewave God Like

4. sinewave

sinewave God Like

5. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Must be at least 30k since the time the question was asked ;)

Anyway - apparently it's easy and tbh seen guys do it on the track and looks fine.... Might even have a bash myself! :) three lads I race with dont bother balancing them at all??

6. wedgiewolves#223

wedgiewolves#223 God Like

I balance my front don't bother with rear

• Like Like x 1
  7. arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad A very helpful Gent

When you see them spin up testing shifters etc the rears can jump around like crazy and are often in desperate need of balancing, off balance wheels ware the tyre unevenly and the problem gets worse as the tyre wears. I'd balance them both wedgie even though a pain. Some I have seen this year when running up on a stand jump around so much they near come off the bobbins, that to dead smooth once done.

• Like Like x 2
  8. scooby

scooby Elite Member

there are questions asked about balancing,i do it personnaly,or as close as i can get it.others dont.

i did ask the question once to a tyre guy about why some people dont bother to balance to the rear,his answer was lazyness.

give it a go,for me it's not just about the money saved,but also time,time gopin gto get them fitted,i can do it whenever i like (like now as it happens),and gives you that warm fuzzy feeling that you get when you do work yourself.

9. wedgiewolves#223

wedgiewolves#223 God Like

Ill stop being a lazy ass ha ha good point though :D

• Like Like x 1
  10. arthurbikemad

Can only make you faster mate haha

11. sinewave

sinewave God Like

Ultimately a significantly unbalanced wheel be it front or rear, could upset the damping enough on ya Shox to cause a slide or worse when right on the limit

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Not saying your wrong, and obviously I think a balanced wheel is better - but think that may be a little extreme?

These three brothers are on the limit, race after race, and haven't balanced a single tyre all year? They haven't crashed, state they don't notice any difference, and their tyre wear is perfect??

They ain't mooching about either.... Winning races.

Really not saying dont bother balancing, but did make me wonder when I watch them put new rubber on, pump up and off they go.....

• Like Like x 1
  13. arthurbikemad

Some years back (when I were a lad) I use to mix my tyres, if it had tread on it would go on the bike, balanced? no chance it was hard enough crawling round on the floor changing them. Did not notice much in the way of vibes or wear...but then flat out all the time why would I/we.

Now I have a better understanding, it's a spinning object and should be balanced. I bet you if you run the bikes up 150mph+ after fitting an un balanced tyre on a padock stand you will soon start balancing them. Most racers I know are able to tell if the wheel is out or not. Some when pushing have requested the tyre be checked if they are out.

It's up to the individual I guess, but I tend to do what's right, I guess if the manufactures told me it did not matter I'd just leave it, tbh I can't think of anyone I know who runs successful teams etc that don't bother.

Maybe the lads are changing the rules haha

14. Muffking

Muffking God Like

This is how I do it.
    A DIY wooden frame that seperates to the correct width with wooden dowling. Then mount the wheel by it's axle on L shaped brackets that have bearings bolted to the to allow the axle to spin freely. Then it's just a case of buying loads of stick on weights.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  15. arthurbikemad

16. sinewave

sinewave God Like

The Devil is in the detail Jimbo!

I said 'significantly unbalanced' ! ;)

Think about it?

If a Tyre/wheel has a significant 'heavy' spot on the wheel, especially if the heavy spot coincides with the tyre valve location this will cause the wheel to osscilate up and down at speed.

This ossicilation will transmit through to the shocks damping, both rebound and compression.

This can only be bad for handling and ultimate grip and thus can only bring down the threshold of ultimate grip and feel of it in race conditions.

Ya canneee change the Laws of Physics Jim!

Jimbo.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  17. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

I'm not saying they are world class mate or have a group of support technicians and mechanics at their disposal...

Just that they are club racers quicker than 95% of us on here and a pushing to THEIR limit quite happily without balancing them.

Perhaps they are daft and could go quicker, I don't know, just an observation that's all.... It seems their rules work for them ;)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Don't you love a caveat? ;)

Dude.... I understand the laws of physics perfectly, I'm just saying these lads don't seem to mind and are rapid as fcuk!!

19. arthurbikemad

I know many who don't bother mate, thundersport etc etc.. think the key is prep, having the best package possible with what you've got, good setup etc, the cost of balancing the wheels and the rewards for doing so I.e a smooth bike, it has to be worth doing. Even at club level :)

20. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Not saying your wrong! As said above, I'd prefer to do mine, but these lads aren't moaning of any lack of smoothness and their tyre wear - all three bikes - is spotless.

Just made me wonder. Personal view has changed a little that since seeing them that maybe it's not as important as I thought it was....

• Like Like x 1