Anyone fitted and balance their own tyres? Is it easy enough?

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Tonic, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Dave V

Dave V Elite Member

Does every wheel always need balancing these days? Eg the wheel/tyre is balanced without weights? Arn't there marks on tyres to align to the valve?

I've had tyres changed and not had to have weights fitted.

As usual though I could well be talking utter nonsense

2. arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad A very helpful Gent

I agree it can be inflated "no pun" lol that the problems will come up and bite you in the ass if you don't, not only that but when racing the last thing on your mind into the first corner is, did I balance my rear tyre haha..

Think it's different on a tyre that will remain on a bike for x miles rather than a few laps, or is it... maybe we will never know Jimbo, but as you say and as I too know many don't for whatever reason.

I have a guy who is fast as he rides a pile of poo and wins races, young lad too, Sam Osborne, his bike...well...and him...defies all the rules.

3. Pitcrew1

Pitcrew1 New Member

Those three brothers wouldn't happen to be scousers would they riding ZX10 R's?

4. arthurbikemad

Yes Dave, tyres most of them have bal assist markers, red or yellow dots (not the same method as use by some car or truck tyres, pays to check manufactures guide lines) they are lined up with the valve and are pre marked to assist the process, I have seen 1 in a 100 that don't need anything.

Some car rims are dotted to Id the heavy part of the rim, pays to know your marbles.

5. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

They might be ;) lol.... Guess you know em?

6. arthurbikemad

One thing (to plant the seed) to take into mind with the racing is IF you do have tyre that's way out and it has not been checked and you line up on the grid, lap one and your bikes shaking like a bastard you've now got to deal with it for the rest of the race? for the sake of a quids worth of lead your championship could be down to tubes? Just my thoughts :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. scooby

scooby Elite Member

with ref to sinewaves posts,i think the only person pushing the limits of the bike so far that an unbalanced wheel will unsettle the suspension so much as to spit you off is Matt,but,as he will be looked after by ex BSB,WSB,MGP mechanics i'm sure it wont come to that :)

8. Dave V

Dave V Elite Member

Matt unbalanced?

Sorry, miss read that then ;)

• Like Like x 4
  9. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

I'd of prob smashed me and the bike to bits before I wreck my season cos of an unbalanced tyre ha ha

• Like Like x 1
  10. Tonic

Tonic Active Member

Good banter here guys, but back on subject, I have four bearing (all the same size) and some box section, so I can probably make a stand. Get one of the lads to turn some cones and jobs a good un.

Next up, plastic rim protectors, is there a specific make I should go for or just the cheap £5 hobbies of the bay....along with strips of weights...

• Like Like x 1
  11. el-nicko

el-nicko Well-Known Member

Most of us, at some time or other, must have driven a car that had one or more wheels out of balance. At 60mph+ you were soon made aware that something wasn't right. The effect is even more dramatic if the running-gear is in less than perfect condition. Of course, nowadays, if we have a new tyre fitted to a car wheel almost all of us take the option of having it balanced simply because the tyre fitter has a (dynamic) balancing machine to hand. And there's the 'rub';there are, in my experience, very few motor-cycle tyre fitting establishments/bike dealers with the proper kit. They'll fit a tyre for you but most of them will only 'static' balance it. A job you can do (and achieve the self-same mixed results) just as well yourself. Of course very few folk fit car/van/light truck tyres in the first place. They leave it to 'The Professional' and, since, whilst on a visit to 'Lee Motorcycles' in Ledbury Herefordshire I noticed they actually had a motorcycle wheel balancing machine, nowadays, so do I.;)

Nick.

12. Muffking

Muffking God Like

If you mean to save the rim when removing tyres, use 3 of these
    [​IMG]

or spend a bit more and get this
    [​IMG]

13. Tonic

Tonic Active Member

The long bar thingies look good, but no idea how they work......have you any links to the manufacturers website please?

14. PeterT

PeterT Active Member

15. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

Right after paying another £30 to get new tyres fitted i'm going to get a few items and do this myself.

I know I need a balancer, Tyre leavers, new Valves (going to get 90Degree ones) rim protector and something to told the wheel steady. Yet I know I could make a few of these up as others have done on this thread But I'm going halfs with a mate most probably

So my question. What are the best makes of the above things to look at or is anything via Ebay/Abba stands going to do a good job?

16. Scott

Scott Active Member

my tyre bar i can't seem to get the hang of it. tyres seem to tight

17. scooby

scooby Elite Member

this happens a lot,almost to the point of thinking it wont go on.trick is to make sure you push the the tyre down around the parts that are already on,really push it down to the bottom of the rim,will stop the issue your getting

• Like Like x 1
  18. Muffking

Muffking God Like

+1
    You really need to get it in to the centre of the rim in order work the bar round.

I could recommend brands, but TBH it's more about the type of gear you buy.

Just don't do what I did today. I had to reseal the bead on the car as it had a leak in the side wall and when I blew the tyre back up facing upwards in the garage I got showered with tyre soap when it popped on :D

• Like Like x 1
  19. arthurbikemad

Its know as the "well" of the wheel, as said you MUST push the tyre into the well, some wheels like BST's etc have a VERY shallow well and they are awkward to fit even with the machine.

• Like Like x 2
  20. scooby

scooby Elite Member

you just had to come along and give it a name didn't you Arthur!!!!

whats wrong with "just push the tyre down"? :)

• Like Like x 1