Anyone from here? Youtube 'road trip' of 2 blades and BMW Europe trip 2015

Discussion in 'Pictures & Videos' started by Alblade, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Alblade

Alblade God Like

Found the following on youtube and thought either some may enjoy it (although each day is quite a long review)

What's interesting is minimal music in the edit , but they have captured the intercom 'chat' - not tried intercoms myself but watching these episodes I can see they add a new dimension to a 'tour' - The edit avoids endless engine / wind / exhaust note so its still quite watchable.

The Route their SatNav took them from Andorra down towards Ax-Les-Thermes / over towards Quillan is beyond belief (watch episode 1 for details) and shows that sometimes good old road signs can win (and a real shame they missed the fantastic run down the mountain to Ax.L.T.)

2. TrackDayT5

TrackDayT5 New Member

few just watched 20 mins of it hah gets a bit boring some good footage tho i just feel like an hour could have been condensed down into 20 mins clip the best bits :D

looked epic tho !

• Like Like x 1
  3. Alblade

Alblade God Like

Totally agree, 20 mins or so per day would do it. well filmed and helmet mounted cameras worked well, wonder what they plugged into as you can see a a
    Cable going from camera down back if jacket

4. TrackDayT5

TrackDayT5 New Member

i personally like the the lower camera placement so you can see the clocks and screen, baronvongrumble has the perfect setup :)

5. CBR-Pete

CBR-Pete Active Member

I usually go solo now days, as no one ever seems to be up for a charge into Europe so you don't get the com's on mine, stopped adding music as even royalty free stuff started to flag up copyrighted. I record every mile when I am on tour but I wouldn't put hours of it on youtube, just bits

6. TrackDayT5

TrackDayT5 New Member

Dont you think it gets a bit lonely out there on your own?

7. CBR-Pete

CBR-Pete Active Member

It does a bit, however I can go at my own pace don't have to keep waiting for others and I can please myself what I do. After a week or so I find I miss people speaking English but the weather and roads make up for it and if I didn't go on my own I wouldn't get to tour Europe. I used to go with friends but over the years they stop going and now the ones that do say they may come almost always drop out. Off to Spain and through southern Europe this year, has its advantages though got a four berth sea view cabin to myself from Portsmouth.

• Like Like x 1
  8. TrackDayT5

TrackDayT5 New Member

Hahaha i like my own company but the style of riding should we say *conviction* i would want someone incase things got a bit hairy :)
    each to their own i know what you mean about people dropping out though its just that initial kick up the arse they need and once they are out there its usually enjoyable :)

9. CBR-Pete

CBR-Pete Active Member

For me living in Kent I can be in the south of France faster then I can get to good old Scotland, no brainer really. I even sort out weekends away to the ring and around that area but my mates would still rather go to loomies or down to Rye or Hastings. Then you have the ones that insist you can't tour on a sports bike and won't go out if there is a small chance of rain, worst of all are the ones that have to stop every twenty miles for a fag, I really can't be bothered with all that now so going on my own is best option for me.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Alblade

Alblade God Like

Here are a couple of draft (and uploaded in low quality) films from last September where some music is added and footage lightly edited.

Somewhere above Briancon (I think!) - good footage from 7 odd mins in, and 12:35 for an important lesson in motorcycling safety!

Up from Val D'isere to the Col D'iseran - short clip

Some footage uploaded in HD (click HD link in lower right corner) to compare - again very light editing and music from the NOW! album (93?) which was current at the time

Interested in feedback from folk seeing those films - they need maps / titles added

#10 Alblade, Apr 4, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

I go out on my own as well.

The difficult times are in the evenings, restaurants in the evening, that kind of thing. But restaurants during the day are full of all kinds of workmen, drivers, all sorts, so it is no grief to be having lunch in a restaurant on your own. Often shared tables with people when it gets busy. No problem during the day, completely fine.

Love riding the bike, do not really like getting off it, even to take pictures and do stuff. Just want to ride the bike. As you know riding is more engaging than driving, which can be tedious.. But riding a bike is good fun and occupying in itself.

The way to deal with the whole evening thing is camping and staying on campsites. It is an involving thing, putting up camp, cooking a bit of food, doing the few dishes (pot and a spoon !). There are lots of people around, some to talk to. And you sleep next to your bike so you do not have the worry of theft.

Channel Island number plates are a bit odd, so people sometimes ask about that. Talk to all kinds of people on campsites in the summer. Even met the boss's in laws in France. They saw the Guernsey plate on the bike and said - "do you know ......, ?" - yes I do, he is my boss !!

Love the whole camping thing, decent little tent in some campsite in a lovely part of France, or Switzerland - great, love it. But even so two weeks is about enough. I have done longer, but two weeks is just right for me.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Personally I prefer to hear the engine sound. Also like the inclusion of the photos. Some voice would be good - although not everyone is a gifted as CycleCruza ( check out some of his YouTube vids - gift of the gab and entertaining !)

13. Alblade

Alblade God Like

I try and make the engine audible along side the music.

Normally put maps of route in - have some commentary I can add, all depends who your market is really

14. Wayne_R

Wayne_R Active Member

My films generally include photos, music, some sound in the right places and captions of funny stuff, alongside the usual day to day headings.

A bit of everything, but the hardest thing is going through all the footage to dial out the rubbish stuff. Harder too, when you have your mates give me their cameras with their footage too.

Though we favour the Drift Ghost cameras, which are great to use.

15. Alblade

Alblade God Like

Yep, I also get the 'editor' role and at times it drives you mad - often try and capture stuff off bike / messing about etc. (like using a EDF Warning Siren / loudhailer outside a supermarket...) or just messing about washing bikes / filling up / paying tolls etc.

Those who have never edited have no idea how long it takes to pull everything together

16. Alblade

Alblade God Like

This film has a better mix of off bike stuff etc. then blends to main riding etc.