Anyone installed a keyless ignition?

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by lambchops, Dec 28, 2014.

1. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

Decided I'm going to remove the ignition lock and fit a keyless system to the bike, I've already remove the HISS as have an American ecu fitted.

Been looking at this system, like the idea of the small transponder in the glove. Has anyone used this or another system they can recommend? I guess with almost all having HISS not going to be many who have tried anything..

Motorcycle Accessories: MotoGadget m-Lock Contactless Radio Frequency Keyless Ignition Lock, Motorcycle Styling Accessories, 361-830

2. Gilesy

Gilesy Elite Member

its a great idea.. I can feel a LC how-to video coming on ;)

3. markie*mark0

markie*mark0 Active Member

never bothered myself, few race bikes ive owned had total loss systems and no ignition etc. but the most recent i've just left the barrel / ignitiion where it is

4. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

If you go somewhere lambchops and want to leave the bike, how would you put the steering lock on?

5. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

Yeah think I'm going to do it while tank and everything is stripped off the bike. Yeah steering lock doesnt work anyway Steve as don't have full lock as had to reduce it due to the curved rad of the 98 hitting the yokes so not loosing anything there.. Never leave the bike anyway! If I did simple disk lock would do the job anyway.

Yes how to vid gilesy you know it's going to happen lol

• Like Like x 1
  6. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

A video blog! That's very unlike you ;)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Souleh

Souleh Active Member

You dont want electronics ruining your day. Id stay away from any aftermarket kits like that they can only add complexity for really little gain. If youre already keyless then its not like its much hassle firing two switches to get going :)

Just my 2c

8. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

Fancy having no key to worry about, allways loosing it.. Would be nice to just get on the bike run my glove over the hidden sensor which turns it on (and me) and then hit the start button. Also the ignition barrel weighs a fair bit so save some weight in the process :)

Get what your saying by perhaps creating future problems making things more complex etc, but seems a fairly simple system no moving parts. Think I'm going to give it a try, also have HID to fit which have a ridiculas amount of wires so will fit at the same time so I can hide away everything as much as possible. Will keep you guys posted on my progress :)

9. Souleh

Souleh Active Member

If you want the cheapest keyless system then put the key in the ignition and remove the barrel and tape it to the airbox where the OEM steering damper goes. After that, fix an inline killswitch to act as the new ignition. Boom

10. Souleh

Souleh Active Member

11. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

Yes that will work but anyone can nick your bike then.. Would like some theft protection :)

12. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

What about the nsr250 smart card ignition could try that if you can find one

13. madfish2001

madfish2001 Active Member

Seems kinda pointless really. Just something else to modify, spend money on and can go wrong for no real gain. I would rather have a key anyday as I can lock the steering lock and don't have to worry about losing my gloves either.

14. madfish2001

madfish2001 Active Member

Kinda makes sense on a car if you take off the door handles and locks from the doors. Looks cool. But just the ignition....?? Why??????

15. Haggler ®™

Haggler ®™ Active Member

Are you contemplating fitting the sensor/ reader into your glove ? , moisture ,rain etc and electrics don't go together I,m sure you know . Vibration would also be on that list too.

16. gRRandeelion

gRRandeelion Active Member

You could always have the sensor installed as a dermal implant, because you might lose your gloves but not your skin.

17. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

The glove transponder is a tiny sealed unit, no battery's in it. Not sure how it works without batterys magic!

I would also keep the larger key fob sized backup transponder in my pocket as a backup just in case. The reason it's handy as you don't have to keep hold of your key, fish it out of your pocket when you've put your gloves on etc,worry where's it's gone.
    I want a billet top yoke at some point when funds allow and then wouldn't need to add the ignition hanger keeping it looking super slick & smooth.