anyone moved from a 14-16 fireblade to 17-19 fireblade

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Glenandemm, Jun 8, 2021.

1. Glenandemm

Glenandemm Active Member

As above just wondering if anyone’s upgraded to a newer fireblade with all the electric gizmo’s like engine mode, traction control, Honda quickshifter but also what’s the later bike like to ride in comparison, does it feel lighter or faster etc?
    I’d love the 2020 fireblade but funds don’t get anywhere near that at moment and 17-19 seem to be fairly decent priced!
    Any Thoughts from experience?

2. hitch

hitch Elite Member

Best bet would be to get a test/demo ride and see how yo feel about one?

• Like Like x 1
  3. bladey

bladey Senior Member

I went from 2012 to 18 so not far off. Yes it feels lighter, more agile and shifts quicker - maybe that last one is in my head but it feels like it to me. Played with the electronics and you do feel a difference with the settings but I'd go with Hitch's advice.. Try before you buy. The main thing I miss is not being able to polish the bugger. The old one was a Repsol and I probably polished it more than rode it last year.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Glenandemm

Glenandemm Active Member

haha i cant bloody polish my matt black bike as it is pal and that frustrates me, i love cleaning my bikes again and again!
    will have to try one but i think im starting to enjoy this one the more ive ridden it lately in the sunshine i just want those electric gizmos though!

5. Hondaboy63

Hondaboy63 Active Member

Im in the same position. Ive got a 2014 blade with upgrades. I believe it handles just as good as the newer models. Traction control, Quickshifter not a must. Speed is second to acceleration on the road. Take a test ride and be your own judge, its nice to try something for free.

• Like Like x 1
  6. buz

buz Active Member

I went from a 2009 to 2017SP. It feels a little slimmer and lighter and has more top end. The electronics have been great. I had an HM quickshifter on my old one but this one is better and the auto blip is brilliant. Traction control works well when I've deliberately provoked it but that's really the only time it's been used. The best thing is the electric suspension as it is better over the bumps but changes when needed to keep it handling tight. When the road gets really rough, a press of the button changes to a softer setting. Bad parts are the throttle/engine speed is lumpy and jerky at low revs, especially when it gets hot riding through town. Fueling is very lean under 7k. The font fairing and screen are too small. under seat storage is pitiful and the headlights are disappointing for what looked like a very powerful setup.

• Like Like x 1
  7. gRRandeelion

gRRandeelion Active Member

I went from a 2008 to a 2019SP biggest shock increase in insurance, same broker, same company, same policy went from £176-16 to £330-84 between 2020 and 2021. Find the 2019 a more involving ride, well worth the upgrade IMO.

• Like Like x 1