Are my biker buddies c$nts?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Island Rider, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Island Rider

Island Rider New Member

Bit annoyed today with my "biker buddies"...we met up today to go for a ride....prior to starting off we all gathered at the local filling station as usual for some banter and fill the tanks up. There were about 7 of us, 3 were pals from riding school...so 3 new faces to me...casually mentioned to them in a joking manner that im not too confident with riding fast, so im likely to be at the back of the convoy.

Anyway we head off and as soon as we are out of town the craziness starts....over taking on bends....60+ in 30s...cars drivers got scared that they braked, for good reason too as one biker [new guy to me] nearly clipped a car....im watching this from the back as is another friend that just passed as isnt as confident as me.

So Im riding at my own pace and to be honest i dont know why i bothered joining them on this ride as these guys were doing crazy speeds...120+...im doing speeds that im not comfortable with to catch up.....but i cant catch up for the life of me....i've dropped from the pack by at least a good 10 minutes....they stopped to have a fag and for me and the other guy to catch up...at this point im in too minds on turning back and heading home as we were going somewhere that i wasnt familiar with...but i decided to give them the benefit of the doubt....big mistake as they shot off again...im watching them try to overtake each other down the road...im trying my best to keep up with them but its a losing battle as im not happy doing the speeds they are on the road we are on and the conditions faced [damp roads, sheep, gravel on the roads]....so i've dropped off the pack again....but i keep on going hoping that i can catch up or they wait....didnt happen, i rode for another 15/20 minutes but they were no where to be seen...so i said fcuk it im not going to bother trying to catch up and kill myself in the process as i was now lost so i stopped by a scenic bench and got some fresh air, took my camera out and took some snaps...after 10 minutes i gave a mate a quick txt saying im not going to kill myself trying to keep up with them, im heading back at my own pace.....i went home but at my own pace and i love riding at my level, comfort and speed....and to be fair, i dont mind riding on my own if it means im sensible and not likely to kill myself or someone else.

Pic i took on my way back, more relaxed riding :)
    DSC04593.jpg

Met the other non confident rider mate later in town...he said he was the same, felt pressured to go at a speed he wasn't comfortable with...plus they was another biker [not part of the group] crash, well the aftermath of the bike wrecked...

• Like Like x 9
  2. Island Rider

Island Rider New Member

DSC04605.jpg

• Like Like x 8
  3. just_me _and _me _bike

Lovely pic there dude

And good on ya for turning back n riding at ur own pace, theres too many loons out there who think theyre Rossi or Marquez, lets see how good they r when the law catches up wuth them n they r looking at being banned for riding like dick heads, we all love speed, but only when we feel comfortable and we aint causing other people / drivers / riders to take avoidable action.

Im the same mostly ride by meself or take the Mrs out n we have a gentle run ( at the speed limit ) n go for a bite fo eat n drink in the country, n like you im no chasing other people esp the idiots who can ride fast in a straigh line but show em a bend then thapey shit themselves!! Tossers mate!!

• Like Like x 3
  4. Island Rider

Island Rider New Member

DSC04608.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  5. Island Rider

Island Rider New Member

DSC04616.jpg

• Like Like x 8
  6. Island Rider

Island Rider New Member

DSC04623.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  7. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Well done for calling it. Ride at your own pace and sod the rest of 'em.

8. Island Rider

Island Rider New Member

Thanks mate...i like taking pictures, its a shame im not in them...as i would like some memory's of biking...show my kids when they are older...might have to get a compact stand or gorilla stand :)

These guys are good on the bends, taking them at crazy speed of 100mph+....going over to the other side to take a wide line etc...these guys have barely any chicken strips, i have a good inch [2 fingers width, they have 1 finger or less]...i dont feel comfortable doing that so stay on my side and take them at a slower pace, so i lose time and speed...which makes them get away...i am getting better at riding in general but riding with these guys i felt very pressured and i was starting to make a lot of mistakes and take to much risk....i have the fastest bike on paper, yet im the lost rider out of the lost of them :(

But its not all about speed, i try to enjoy myself :)

9. Alblade

Alblade God Like

I have witnessed this happend all too recently

I ride with a well organised group in Spain / France - 12 -14 riders and while we are similar we have some VERY quick and confident riders. Its natural for the group to spread out over a run (we may ride for 30 - 40 minutes without a stop) BUT we run the drop off system, so every junction if not carry on straight ahead the 2nd rider stops to show the rest the way.
    Same at roundabouts to show which exit to take. With traffic its inevitable gaps form - the drop off system solves / prevents anyone getting lost.

Re the 'pack' mentallity and bad overtakes I have also seen this (not with above group as there is no real presure to keep up due to drop off / understanding) - its frustrating and does nothing but give bikes a bad name - when you see 2 / 3 / 4 bikes follow on an overtake and cause oncoming car to brake / swerve / flash I just think 'God, i'm riding with this group and will be tarnished with the same brush' - not saying I'm perfect and we all make errors but it is annoying.

Re using the whole road that is a tought skill / technique - annoys many I ride with when I do it but it gets a better view / earlier view many times - but I try never to overtake riders at the point when they are about to pull out - I just hang out on the far offside with a clear view and wait for them to move and make the overtake.

In summary - dont ride with this bunch, get yourself a small tailpack and tripod and make biking / photoshoots the aim of your trip - use time delay etc. and even night shots under moon light to get a biking fix / your enjoyment back - you certainly have both a stunning bike and locations to make the most of it - Do you have DSLR to use ?

• Like Like x 2
  10. dave d

dave d Elite Member

Ride at a pace your happy with Mo ,jeez you wer thinking about a Busa ,your not long past your test dude take yer time for fucks sake,let em go. .. learn to enjoy your Blade at your own paceI
    Ive experienced it before dude let em go once you start playing catch up it starts getting risky your out of your comfort zone and do things you wouldn't normally do,if there proper dudes they will understand.
    ps a blade is not the fastest bike out there R6 GSXR 6 etc there all wicked tools dude don't get sucked in!

Just enjoy your ride n keep wi your mate he seems a sensible guy!

#10 dave d, Oct 13, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  11. dogman

dogman Member

12. uncle numpty

uncle numpty Member

i have also been in this situation and i just let them get on with it,i just ask where we going and go at my own leisurely pace,then when i get there they take the piss.then one day a few of them stopped by at a trackday me and my mate did,when i was on track one of the guys said to my mate,feck me he does not ride like that on the road,to me that sums it all up,in a nutshell i value my life.

13. barry107

barry107 Active Member

As others have already said, ride at your own speed and take your time getting use to the bike and learning how to ride on the roads ("slowly, slowly, catchy monkey")!

Ask yourself the following;

Are they going to pay the repair bill for your bike and you clothing if you came off?
    Are they going to put food on the table whilst you off work with an injury if you came off trying to keep up?
    Are they going to pay for you to travel on public transport because you've been banned for dangerous driving?
    Are they going to pay any fines and the additional insurance hikes that will follow?
    Are they going to pay your rent/mortgage/house hold bills if your banned?
    Are they going to be around looking after family members if the worst happened to you?

I bet the answer is no!

Ride at your own speed, capabilities and road conditions.
    Book yourself on a Bike Safe course asap, your learn a lot of helpful tips and pointers to help you enjoy your 2 wheels on the road.

14. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Got a slightly different view to most on this I guess.

Do I think they a cnuts for riding how they want to (maybe like idiots) on the road? Not really.... They are big boys, it's their bikes, money, license and dare I day it, lives! Up to them if they want to put themselves at the risk associated with riding in that way. Just hope they are big enough to accept the consequences if it all goes titts up

What worries me about the original post is how you were trying to keep up mate, if your not as quick, experienced, or prepared to ride that way, don't fella. Ride your own ride dude, and never ride out of your comfort zone because you feel pressured.

We don't hang around when we go out and maybe in other people's eyes, we are prob classed as the idiots? But I would never put someone else at risk on purpose riding above my abilities.... And those that do ride with me I'd like to think would say that I ride within my abilities and as smooth and safe as possible.... However quick that may be.

As your experience gains, you'll naturally get quicker and someday might be comfortable riding at the speeds your idiot "mates" do!?

This is the very reason why I choose carefully who I ride with, and tailor enthusiasm on rides with guys I've not riden with before....

However, the flip side is your so called mates are total twats IMO!! We have a mixed speed of fellas who come out, we don't operate a drop off system or anything formal, but NEVER would I charge off and leave a dude, worse still from what your saying, totally fcuk off without trying to contact you and find out if your ok. Bang out of order IMO!

Also, expecting to get the piss taken out of you cos your finding your feet!? Wtf? I can honestly say that wouldn't happen with the guys I ride with, be totally the opposite in fact. More friendly pointers and "take it easy" stuff tbh.

Seen far too many accidents to want to rush someone into getting up to speed and ending their biking life before it begins....

Essay over.

Stay safe fella, and just enjoy the bike :)

#14 Jimbo Vills, Oct 13, 2013
    • Like Like x 14
  15. arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad A very helpful Gent

Not read the whole thing but sure there is some good advice (on my phone) just wanted to add my 10penth, I ride with many riders and the funny thing is that most are not that fast, they just take more risks, also most of them have never had a taste of the Tarmac so they have no idea what the cost can be, and they fail to see how easy at this time of year your tyre can brake free and down you go, it's possible to ride fast and be courteous to other road users and avoid excess speed in town, dangerous overtakes and passing on double whites etc, if you wanted to sort the men from the boys suggest a track day or club race? Always worked for me in MX etc...lol I don't like to piss off other road users but love a blast, it's easy tbh you just hold back until the road opens out, that way you can enjoy the bike, the ride, the sights and so on. Stay alive is the key as it's s easy to die when crashing bikes into oncoming drivers etc and the old saying your a long time dead rings so true! And I know a good few who are!

#15 arthurbikemad, Oct 13, 2013
    • Like Like x 10
  16. Garyb

Garyb Moderator.
    Staff Member

Some very good advice guys.
    I was on the lines of writting something but it appears Jimbo and Arthur sums it up nicely :)
    I can relate to what's been said.
    There's only the one thing I will add though Mo.
    Choose wisely the company you keep, never get mates & associates mixed up.
    Real mates would never put that kind of pressure on you. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  17. rewy..rr

rewy..rr Active Member

Gary, in my view, you done the right thing.

Nothing worse than trying to 'keep up' with a group off guys, who rider quicker than you. As you say you are out of your comfort zone, and in that situation, you would take risk's , with possible serious result's

What I would suggest, is booking yourself on some advanced riding scheme, it will give you much more confidence in riding fast, positioning the bike in the right place to see 'through' the bend etc, so you are able to ride faster but safe...

You don't have to go for the advanced test, if you don't want to, but the training is beneficial

18. just_me _and _me _bike

When i passed my test, i started riding out with a few old boys who had over 50 yrs riding experience, i was amazed at the speed, lean angles and how they never ever seemed to brake, always in the right gear n always took the right lines,

They taught me to learn myliines, use forward observation skills n most importantly learn wot my bike can do, now i can ride fast, i have NO chicken strips, n i hardly touch the brakes as i use engine braking n being in the right gear, but i do value my life n my licence, plus the Mrs wud kill me if i came off n shes more scarier than anything i know, so i ride at my own pace, which is still pretty quck, the other week only 2 other riders passed me in 250 mile run, so cant be doing that bad eh??

So my advice wud be learn ur lines n where u shud b, n most importantly learn at ur own pace, you'll soon get there n even manage to keep up or even ivertake, its kike any skill, the more u do it, the better u become.

19. just_me _and _me _bike

I agree, i was way more faster n mire confident to throw my R6 round bends n ger on the power earlier or even increasing the power through the bends han i am on me Blade, u may have to dance about on the box of a 600', but by god theyre fast n fun!!

I wud have had another but the blade was same price as new R6 / ZX 6 so went for blade due to better materials n better all round bike.

20. glynn

glynn Member

I ride to my abilities and in my own comfort zone and 99% on my own as I want to go home to my family. There's no shame in not being able to keep up with people. There's always someone faster and more experienced than you.

• Like Like x 4