Back on a blade..

Discussion in 'Pictures & Videos' started by Ricky Miller, Aug 17, 2019.

1. bazzashadow

bazzashadow Elite Member

A fail is a fail when ever it is
    You can have an mot and then get sent to have one by the old bill and if it fails it’s a fail
    Simple.
    An mot is basic road worthy for the minute in time
    You could leave the mot station and then put bald tyres on
    Is it legal then?

2. mk3golfcab

mk3golfcab Elite Member

I think what @nigelrb is saying is that a dealer (or any seller) may know of a fault with a vehicle that will affect a future MOT but plead ignorant about it and NOT put it through an MOT, ergo the current MOT is still relevant. It won’t have had a test so wouldn’t have failed but will fail on so and so at the next MOT.

To what extent varies dealer to dealer I’m sure, but say if a dealer noticed the tyre treads were low, if as a buyer you didn’t notice, and the vehicle had 9 months MOT left, they wouldn’t change them - saving their profit margin! Hopefully most decent dealers would fix any faults arising from a PDI.

The bike I just bought had MOT until April. I insisted they put a new one on; and as it happened it failed on warped front discs, the dealer was then obligated to replace both discs and pads. If I hadn’t have insisted on a fresh MOT (even though it had 8 months remaining) would they have replaced them? Who knows?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

So I was right but was still wrong then :confused:. Apparently until 2018 a fail did not invalidate an existing MOT, but only because it didn't have to be recorded, now it is recorded it does basically wipe out any remaining time on the previous one.

• Like Like x 1
  4. hitch

hitch Elite Member

This is a great piece of advice (getting a new MoT) which I will no doubt forget

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Spygoat

Spygoat Well-Known Member

But of course!
    chain1.jpeg

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  6. Black & White

Black & White Well-Known Member

An MOT only proves roadworthiness at the time of test. If a bulb fails 10 metres away from the test centre (which is not impossible), the vehicle is no longer legal & would obviously fail if represented. The onus falls on the driver after the test, except in things like corrosion. On this, statements that include the word 'reasonable' come in to play. Generally about a month. There is a problem with MOTs in that a tester is not allowed to remove anything to inspect something more closely (All cars nowadays have undertrays!). The only option is to refuse to test the vehicle. DVLA policy is to pass unless you have very good cause not to.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Ricky Miller

Ricky Miller Active Member

Shift power kit fitted, launch control, pit lane limiter and quick shifter.. works great just need a dry run out now

20191006_175941.jpg

Carbon chain guard or billet aluminium?

20191007_180403.jpg

371CA0C4-AC89-4FA2-9F6A-E7A9BBEEED7B.jpeg

Got the bike over to Scotland now so few things to do and then maybe get a lap or two at knockhill

• Like Like x 2
  8. Ricky Miller

Ricky Miller Active Member

20191008_224236.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  9. mk3golfcab

mk3golfcab Elite Member

Nice progress Ricky, looks good!

Definitely billet aluminium chain guard ;);):D

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1