Battery

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Paul Sheppard, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Jez

Jez Senior Member

over the winter I saw LBP lithium batterys for £25 or offers on ebay, my son and mate wanted one as well so ended costing £23 delivered. cheap as chips, I have now set the solar charger at 13.3v as they dont like over charging or having full voltage all the time, my bike is just a toy and only comes out on sunny days, If you need anything heating It's not a bike day for me.

2. TheRamJam

TheRamJam Well-Known Member

Well after 9 years of use my YTZ7S has finally given up the ghost.

I've bought this Skyrich model as a replacement. As well as the weight saving benefits, here's hoping it performs well.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

I hope it's a good investment. I just checked Skyrich and am impressed with the product. One and a half kilo weight saving and it seems that the Oximiser is okay for sustained charging - something I'll keep in mind. Cheers!

4. Jez

Jez Senior Member

Hi,to me the main difference for bikers between lead acid and li ion is winter charging, leads like to be full and are happy to be charged all day at 14.4v but lions are not happy with this charge they prefer to be kept at a lower voltage, this is classed as a storage voltage and will make your battery last longer. the storage voltage is about 13.1v , I deal with lipo, li4po, li ion and other different types of battery's so have a bit of knowledge..the chargers I use have different settings for use or storage and give voltage settings on the digital display. I would say a long as the charger or optimiser is designed to suit the type battery it should be good

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

What charger do you use?

6. Jez

Jez Senior Member

Hi, I am a bit into electronics so have made my own solar charger with voltage regulator set to a maximum of 13.1 volt. one of my other other pastimes is flying large model aeroplanes these generally have lithium polimer, lithium phosphate, lithium iron, or a few others, the charger i have for these has a digital display that you can pick battery type, charge rate, type of charge etc, it also tells you how much it has put into your battery, this charger is not for motorbikes, and would be no good to be permanently attached. It is quite simple to make a solar charger with regulator using ebay panel and maplins regulators.I shall try to post some photos of what I have.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. TheRamJam

Its arrived and ready to go. The weight of this thing is ridiculous

2018-01-18 16.22.49.jpg

8. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

Let us know how you get on with it long term

9. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

That's alright for you to ask. I'm a 'mature' rider and might not even outlast RamJam's battery!:(:(

10. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

Can I have your heated grips if you don't?

banana.gif

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Nup. Sorry. D' Blades comin' wid me. Special velour-lined Oak box.

Mortician has instructions to dress me in leathers. Might get some special white Dainese from Bradt! :cool::cool:

12. TheRamJam

Just a wee post showing the weight difference :-0

2018-01-18 19.32.05.jpg 2018-01-18 19.32.35.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1