Battery

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Jandy, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Jandy

Jandy Active Member

If the battery is knackered would it affect the bike running once it's started up for example

I'm sat at the side of the motorway instead of at the Manchester bike show
    Heading down the motorway at a fairly decent speed then the dash just goes out, completely blank, then it started to stutter so I pulled onto the hard shoulder and nothing completely bolloxed
    If it was just the battery through being parked up over winter would it affect the electronics or is it something more sinister :(:(:(???????

2. lamina

lamina New Member

How old is the battery? Mine started doing this kind of stuff when it hit 7/8 years old. Dash would die then go through the start up sequence while riding along.

Could also be a bad earth

3. Jandy

Jandy Active Member

It's 7 years old now the recovery guy thinks it could be the reg/rec :oops:

4. Singh1000RR

Singh1000RR Active Member

Probably just battery. I just had a 2 year old Yuasa battery fail on me. Had it on trickle charge over the winter and it still failed. Jump started it at home then went for a 15 min thrashing at high revs. Came back home - switched off - wouldn't switch back on. Chucked in a cheap £30 YTZ7S copy and bingo fired right up!

5. Davem13

Davem13 Active Member

Just had the same with mine, battery died, was 3 1/2 years old, on trickle most of winter, started 2 weeks ago fine, got all kitted up on Sunday, pressed starter, dash went off and nowt....charged battery for two days, tried again, nowt, so got a YTZ7S from Honda for £50, fired it up last night.......just need the rain to stop now for the weekend

6. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

the battery is generally the culprit it is only 6ah and it is pushing the limits to keep the engine cranking. 7 year is a very good life
    normally with the engine running, the charging system takes over the supply of electricity for all the bike's needs as well as charging the battery. So before you buy a battery check the volts at the battery terminal with the engine off (12.5~1.35v) thebe between 13.5 & 15.5 with the engine running @5000rpm