Bedford 17th August

Discussion in 'Trackdays' started by dern, Jun 23, 2020.

1. dern

dern Well-Known Member

Standard message: Just booked in for the day, anyone else going?

Went yesterday and really enjoyed it, good easy track to practice on. I'll be in novice group.

2. Muffking

Muffking God Like

How much is it and who did you book through?
    I have Blyton booked on the 12th, but I can check if it's doable.

3. dern

dern Well-Known Member

4. Muffking

Muffking God Like

Thanks. I see inters is already full.
    When you're booking through the MSVT website though, use the discount code TDRBIKE20. It gets you 10% off ;)

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. dern

dern Well-Known Member

Cheers, next time :)

6. dern

dern Well-Known Member

Just been sent availability due to cancellations... 17/8 Bedford - 1 novice, 1 inter

7. Frazzle

Frazzle Active Member

I'll be at Silverstone on the 17th, although if you guys do Bedford at all in September I could be tempted!

8. Muffking

Muffking God Like

Just checked the site and it shows Reserve for Novice & Inters, but space in Fast?
    Problem for me at the moment though is my shock is still off being serviced. Could take the CB, but would need to get pads in as I finished them off yesterday on a CB only day.

Fingers crossed for the weather by the way. You might get lucky, but at least you're prepared just in case it rains.

• Like Like x 1
  9. dern

dern Well-Known Member

Weird feeling surface here today. Had a lot of rain last night and feels oddly greasy in places. Dry so far though. Might get a couple more sessions in before it rains.

05CC731B-8B32-4C8C-9613-30E52CD3942E.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  10. dern

dern Well-Known Member

Should have kept my mouth shut, got wet quite quickly a bit later.

I really like the setup I had done at Combe. The front sag was reduced and the front now has less compression damping as it was too hard. The front feels a lot sharper. Definitely getting quicker but never had the front end move around so much. One session the front felt so wayward I pulled in, convinced I had a puncture in the front. Checked it all over, was good and then completely fine in the next session albeit with some movement in the front. I've got a slight problem and quite a lot of pain in one elbow at the moment and I'm wondering if the lack of flexibility was causing me problems.

Braking now feels really planted at the front but the back moves now a bit. Can't down shift early as I understand is the way to do it... the back just feels too lively. Started to get the slightest fade from the brakes even though the fluid is new. Maybe the pads (EBC double HH) aren't quite as good as I thought.

Good fun though.

ETA... noise tests are a lottery aren't they? Same setup runs 102 db at Combe, 93 db today. Nuts.

• Like Like x 1
  11. dern

dern Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  12. Muffking

Muffking God Like

Plenty of overtaking there, so you're definitely at the upper end of the group.

I don't know much about suspension, so I tend to send mine away for servicing and then get the bike setup for me when I've put it all back together, but I do know that it should be stiff enough not to move around. The back can squirm around under hard braking sometimes, but there's not much you can do about that. Keep an eye on those tyre pressures though, they vary wildly between cold & hot temps.

With the braking, those pads sound reasonable, maybe try the fluid first as it's never a bad thing to change the fluid regularly on track bikes anyway. FWIW I use EBC GPFAX pads and Motul RBF660 fluid and never get brake fade. I do have the Brembo master cylinder, but that only makes the lever stiffer, it doesn't do anything for brake fade.

• Like Like x 2