Bennetts Insurance

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by TheRamJam, Mar 27, 2018.

1. dainesefreak

dainesefreak Senior Member

Had to dig this one up.

Just had my renewal through from Bennetts and they want £743.17. :rolleyes:

I haven't paid that since I was a teen, in fact strike that, I don't think I've ever paid that. Just popped onto Hastings Direct (who I used before Bennetts) and I've now got a quote of £236. The Bennetts quote actually made me laugh out loud.

• Like Like x 1
  2. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

I have had a renewal price from MCE which I felt was dear. I immediately jumped on to MCN Compare, and got a range of quotes, the main one being MCE at a price 30% lower than the renewal! Further, I will never purchase/renew over the phone with MCE for it is always dearer, whether due to a consultant's commission scale I only speculate! I have always found MCN compare to return good quotations.

I often wonder how many policy holders 'routinely' renew without cross-quoting? Perhaps companies rely on that, which would explain DF's exorbitant renewal.

So, DF, does that mean you've had the matte black for nearly 12 months? Surely not:confused:.

3. dainesefreak

No I bought it in January. I did both of the usual comparison sites and the cheapest was MCE at £410. I then noticed the Hastings weren't appearing on either so I decided to go directly to their sites as I'd used them before.

I couldn't imagine anyone swallowing the kind of rise Bennetts were trying on, even as a renewal.

4. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Careful with Hastings. Last time I checked they didn't allow any modifications.

5. dainesefreak

Fine for me, not into mods.

6. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Doesn't matter with @dainesefreak ; he doesn't have his bikes long enough to modify!!:D:D

Edited to say: Sh*t, I'm a bit late with this!!

7. dainesefreak

Your right, wasted money for me. I also have the mindset that if I need to change/mod a bike that much I have to declare it to an insurance company, I've bought the wrong bike. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Selmer50mark

Selmer50mark God Like

Been with Bennett's for 3 years , the RRV was only £91 fully comp,then I insured the RR7 It went up to £155 fully comp , which is fair enough I thought , younger bike and so on , but last time it went up to £185 so I went on MCN compare and Bennett's came up the cheapest at £122 fully comp with 7 years ncb . Took out another policy for the RRV with a company called Go Skippy , that cost £95 tpft with 0 ncb . you can only use your ncb years on one policy , you start with 0 ncb on second policy , which I think is unfair . If you have say 7 years you should be able to carry that to as many policys as you want , after all you can only ride one bike at a time . :rolleyes:

#28 Selmer50mark, Jun 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 3
  9. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Totally correct. I have had that very argument with insurers. If I haven't made a claim on either a Blade or Jesus's sandals, I should be entitled to the benefit of that on ANY and ALL bikes! As you will understand (Mark), I am starting at zero on a few of my bikes.:(

In the words of Bob Dylan: They'll stone ya . . .

)

10. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

Still makes me smile when I remember the time I insured my 1st car. A bloke in a suit from the Co-Op turned up at my parents house, asked a few questions, thumbed his way through a huge book, dabbed at his calculator and then came up with a price. Didn't feel odd at the time but now its hard to imagine. I often think if someone from the insurance company would come and visit the security on my garage today the premium would be buttons. Instead home made ground anchors and garage door security just go down as 'unknown'.

It's not unlike the years I spent parking on RAF station carparks.....armed guards, roaming patrols of attack dogs, CCTV and 10ft fences with razor wire equates to "office carpark" in the world of insurance companies. :confused:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. bradt

bradt Elite Member

Any excuse to find a way of not paying out in the event of a claim, no doubt steering lock needs to be on even when in a locked garage.

• Like Like x 2
  12. hitch

hitch Elite Member

I just had to go through a load of hoops on my GSXR insurance...I mistakenly left the 9+ NCD for the Blade quotes in my profile on GoCompare which naturally turned up the cheapest quote of £77 with Bennetts; turns out you cant have your NCD on more than one bike BUT, they will take into consideration ANY accident/incident on any bike or car regardless :mad:
    I would have had to pay £50 cancellation fee if I had not remained with Bennetts with my actual 1 yr NCD on the gixxer (it was SORN for 7+ years and I foolishly cancelled the insurance :( - should have kept a simple theft only policy running).
    So the price I pay has risen from £77 to £205 :(

13. dgr

dgr Active Member

The worst track on a classic album but appropriate I guess.

14. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

To steal John McEnroe's words: 'You can't be serious!' ;)

15. dgr

dgr Active Member

I'm afraid so, the other 13 are better. In fact, track 1 is the only one I routinely skip. Visions of Johanna on the other hand is one of my favourite Dylan tracks.

• Like Like x 1
  16. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Bleedin' resurrected this thread cos I just got shafted - again.:(

Got a Bennetts quote via MCN compare on the weekend to commence on 1 July (for the NS). Getting the bike a bit earlier so I phoned to accept quote and amend commencement date. Price jumped fro 88 to 95! Not a wallet-breaker, but I raised the principle of receiving a quote and then it's not honoured. Was told it's because I made an amendment. 'I've only brought it forward by two days,' I exclaimed, it's still a 12-month policy.' Needless to say. the rep came out with all sorts of counter-excuses.

Bastard thing is that Bennetts were still about 30 quid cheaper than next quote. Swallowed my 'principles' and bought the policy.:mad::mad:

I'm starting to believe that insurance contracts and marriage contracts have a lot in common. All's well when the going is good, but try to bail out and you'll be taken to the cleaners!!:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  17. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

Bemoto are the boys to be with.

18. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

I tried but they openly admitted they couldn't do a competitive quote as I need Class 1 Business cover.

19. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

[QUOTE="nigelrb, post: 463300, member: 6225"
    Bastard thing is that Bennetts were still about 30 quid cheaper than next quote. Swallowed my 'principles' and bought the policy.:mad::mad:
    [/QUOTE]

Did you not try doing the quote online again? Bet it would have saved you the £30.

Personally I would have taken the hit and gone elsewhere as I hate that kind of attitude from Companies.

20. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Yes, in most cases. I tried to do a multi-bike with them, but they would not insure my 2018 SP2 because of the supposed 'high-risk' value. It floored me because I have 40 years No Claims and the bike sits in my lounge room (with video surveillance [and @Lozzy, you stay away from that one;)]

However, they did invite me to try again next year. Could be a throwaway line, but I'd much rather tie them all to one policy instead of scattered renewals.